• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Senator Orrin Hatch thinks copyright owners should destroy your computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
With Tripleshot's perfect record of being wrong on political predictions, Hatch is guaranteed another term.

Michael

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Steal what I work hard to create and I'd be upset. Steal what Madonna created and she should be upset too.
I think copyright law is intended to protect the product of one's labor... why is it right to steal it?

If I caught you stealing my car I'd call the police... I'd hope to see you jailed but I'd not break your arm even if I could.

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
we should zap senators cars everytime they recieve money from a corporation and we'll see how hatch feels about it...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: HJD1
Steal what I work hard to create and I'd be upset. Steal what Madonna created and she should be upset too.
I think copyright law is intended to protect the product of one's labor... why is it right to steal it?

If I caught you stealing my car I'd call the police... I'd hope to see you jailed but I'd not break your arm even if I could.
Again, this isn't about stealing, this is about the RIAA attempting to become another branch of law enforcement without the restrictions of due process and innocent-until-proven-guilty. If you really did commit infringement, then you deserve to be sued and have whatever consequences the law permits applied. But the RIAA does not need the ability to remotely destroy anyone's computer systems on a mere whim.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: jliechty

Again, this isn't about stealing, this is about the RIAA attempting to become another branch of law enforcement without the restrictions of due process and innocent-until-proven-guilty. If you really did commit infringement, then you deserve to be sued and have whatever consequences the law permits applied. But the RIAA does not need the ability to remotely destroy anyone's computer systems on a mere whim.

That is what I meant by "but I'd not break your arm even if I could" I agree with you.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Anyone taking bets on how long it takes unit Orrin's website gets hacked?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty

That is what I meant by "but I'd not break your arm even if I could" I agree with you.
Then you have a much better sense of morality than the RIAA does, because they'd say fvck the police and break your arm many times over for an offense many times less serious than stealing a car.

ASK THE COMMUNITY