Senator Edwards Supports Partial-Birth Abortions

Jan 12, 2003
..starting to review his voting record, and I was shocked to find that he supports partial-birth abortions...guess I shouldn't be shcocked, given that he's the 4th most liberal Senator in Congress.

Voted NO to partial birth abortion ban (a bill which passed 63-34).
Voted NO to the bipartisan tax cut plan (a bill which passed 62-38).
Voted NO to eliminating the marriage tax penalty.
Voted NO to repealing the estate tax (a bill which passed 59-39).
Voted NO to temporarily suspending the gasoline tax.
Voted NO to stopping the use of federal funds to distribute the "morning after pill" on school grounds.
Voted NO to limiting the social security tax to 50% of total benefits (it had been 85%).

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
But what else did the bills entail?

We all know the Republicans love pork for their corporate bosses.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
..starting to review his voting record, and I was shocked to find that he supports partial-birth abortions...guess I shouldn't be shcocked, given that he's the 4th most liberal Senator in Congress.

Voted NO to stopping the use of federal funds to distribute the "morning after pill" on school grounds.
Voted NO to limiting the social security tax to 50% of total benefits (it had been 85%).
Wheee......more copy/paste fun. You and Rip should form a club.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ferocious

A senator may vote against a bill for any number of reasons, like it is poorly written, it does not accomplish what it is supposed to, it includes a rider to fund some unrelated pork... Or maybe he has had to agree to a particular vote in exchange for another senator's support for a bill he has sponsored.

In any case, a senator's voting record isn't all there is to the story, and can be misleading. Just look at all the stuff Bush voted for...oops, I forgot - Bush skipped that stage in his career.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Seriously, please provide full info on the bill(s) in question. Too often, a persons voting record gets attacked, when the vote makes sense in context.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I'm guessing Limbaugh, Prager, Medved, etc. have some talking points memo already in circulation.

Some female talking head had some guy calling up saying Edwards' Senate victory turned the Senate into a subsidiary of trial law firms!

LMAO!

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: daveshel

A senator may vote against a bill for any number of reasons, like it is poorly written, it does not accomplish what it is supposed to, it includes a rider to fund some unrelated pork... Or maybe he has had to agree to a particular vote in exchange for another senator's support for a bill he has sponsored.

In any case, a senator's voting record isn't all there is to the story, and can be misleading.

:beer:

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
had to Wait A day or So to Get the Talking points from the RNC didnt you galt.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Edwards on the record of Ashcroft's nomination:

Mr. EDWARDS. I thank the Chair.

Mr. President, the Nation is emerging from an extraordinarily close election that has left much of the country feeling divided. It is a time when all of us have an enormous responsibility to unite our country. In order to unite this country, we have to turn to leaders who inspire confidence and bring us together. In my judgment, with the nomination of Senator Ashcroft, President Bush has fallen short of that goal.

Why has he fallen short? Because in a time when our country desperately needs a unifier, the President has nominated a man to be the chief law enforcement officer of the country--the people's lawyer, the lawyer for all the people--who has a long record of divisive and inflammatory rhetoric which results in him being viewed as a polarizing figure.

There are some folks who argue that his positions are just the result of very deeply held beliefs. Some people believe his positions are extreme. In the end, the one thing that is certain is that he is, in the view of many Americans, a polarizing and divisive figure.

Senator Ashcroft opposed the nomination of Ronnie White, a very well-respected African American justice on the Missouri Supreme Court, for what at least appeared to be simply political reasons. In opposing the nomination of Justice White, Senator Ashcroft used words and language that not only were inflammatory but showed a fundamental disrespect for a man who had lifted himself out of poverty, worked his entire life to become a justice on the Missouri Supreme Court, and committed his professional life to the fair administration of justice.

It is not unfair for some Americans to question whether Senator Ashcroft can adequately represent their public interests given his history.

Some argue that Senator Ashcroft, in fact, has given his word that he will follow the law and enforce the law. The problem is that the realities of the Justice Department are that there are daily choices the Attorney General will be required to make. He will be required to decide which laws will be vigorously enforced and which laws will be defended from attack.

Senator Ashcroft has spoken very eloquently about the reasons he pursued certain cases while he was attorney general of Missouri and why he challenged certain laws and legislation. Whether you agree or disagree with what Senator Ashcroft did as attorney general of Missouri, you can count on the fact that those same situations can and will arise, in fact, during the term of the next Attorney General of the United States.

The Attorney General will be required to make daily decisions, discretionary decisions, that are critical to the lives of very many Americans. Again, it is not unfair for some Americans to question whether Senator Ashcroft, even keeping his word, which he has given us, will make decisions that will adequately represent and protect them given his prior statements and actions. The question is whether he will, in fact, be all the people's lawyer, as he has a responsibility to be.

The post of the Attorney General is very different from other Cabinet posts. The Attorney General advises the President about the constitutionality of the legislation he is being asked to sign. He makes recommendations to the President about judicial nominations. As I already discussed and as others have discussed, Senator Ashcroft's history does not support the notion that he will recommend candidates for nomination to the Federal bench solely on the basis of their qualifications and abilities to serve.

It is critical to note that the Attorney General is not the President's lawyer, he is the people's lawyer. He represents our Nation before the U.S. Supreme Court. Senator Ashcroft once called a U.S. Supreme Court decision ``illegitimate.'' Again, such statements show a fundamental disrespect for the rule of law which we believe is so critical in this country. When our U.S. Supreme Court speaks, whether we agree or disagree with them, they are the final word and they are the law of the land.

It is very important to recognize also that the vast majority of the decisions that will be made by our Attorney General over the next four years will be difficult judgments made behind closed doors and under the national radar screen, outside the television cameras. When so many Americans believe that when the doors are closed and the lights and the cameras are off, Senator Ashcroft will not protect their interests, our responsibility is to do what is best for the country. The people have to believe that the Attorney General is the people's lawyer and that he will serve all Americans.

Some of Senator Ashcroft's supporters suggest that the opposition to him is about his religion and about his faith. I want to make clear that I think strong faith is an enormous asset in any public servant. In fact, personal touchstones of faith and morality are critical to providing leadership and governance in this country.

I served with Senator Ashcroft in the Senate. I know him, and I absolutely believe his strong faith is deep and sincere. I applaud and, in many ways, share the strength of his religious conviction and his religious faith. It is certainly not because of his faith that I reach the decision I do today. In fact, it is in spite of it.

In conclusion, at a time when our Nation desperately needs unifying leaders, Senator Ashcroft is the wrong man for the wrong job at the wrong time. So it is with deep regret that I will not be able to support the nomination of Senator Ashcroft.

I yield back the remainder of my time.

Bravo!!

Jan 12, 2003

..said, to paraphrase, that one could not jab sharp instruments into the backs of little babies. Edwards? Nay, I have no problems with that practice.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Edwards on the Estate Tax:
Mr. EDWARDS. Mr. President, I also wish to say a few words about the estate tax debate we are having right now.

With all due respect for my colleagues, I think this debate shows that a lot of people in Washington are totally out of touch with regular people back at home. I think we should step back and take stock of where we are right now.

No. 1, as all of us know, we are in the middle of fighting a war against terrorism, and we do not know when that war will end. Our young men and women are in harm's way overseas as I speak.

Here at home, we have very serious homeland security needs that the administration is struggling to meet. It is no exaggeration to say that Americans' lives depend on the success of those efforts. That is No. 1.

No. 2: We have a whole raft of serious needs in our country. I have been talking about the rising crime rate, but that is just the beginning. We have seniors who cannot pay for the medicine they need to live. We have parents who cannot afford to send their kids to college. We have children who go to school every day in crowded classrooms with leaky roofs, even as this administration cuts funding for education. That list goes on and on.

No. 3: We have a coming challenge in Social Security. We are going to have baby boomers retiring in huge numbers, and we are going to have to find a way to keep our social contract with them.

No. 1, we have a costly war against terrorism to fight abroad and at home. No. 2, we have deep problems with crime and education and health care that we are not addressing. No. 3, we have a coming crisis in Social Security.

And here is No. 4. Right now we cannot afford to address a lot of our serious needs--and in fact, our economy continues to sputter after a decade of extraordinary growth--because the country has gone from a multitrillion dollar surplus to a deficit in barely a year. That is very largely because of the tax cuts targeted to the wealthy this Congress already passed. It is a breathtaking fiscal turnaround.

With terrorism, with crime and education and health care needs, with a Social Security crisis, with massive fiscal hemorrhaging, what are we talking about here today?

We are not talking about reforming the estate tax to eliminate unfair burdens on farmers and small businesses, something I support. I very strongly believe that farmers and small businesses have to be protected from estate taxes.

We are talking about whether to blow another massive hole in the budget to pay for a tax cut that mostly benefits about 3,000 of the wealthiest families each year. In a country of over 275 million people, many of them struggling to pay their mortgages and send their kids to college, we are talking about multimillion dollar windfalls for about three thousand fortunate families.

I have only one question. Is this really why the American people send us here, to massively cut taxes on a very fortunate few while we are fighting terrorism and Social Security is in trouble and millions of middle class people are struggling? I do not think that is why people send us here.

What my colleagues are trying to do today on the estate tax is wrong from a national security perspective. It is wrong from a Social Security perspective. It is wrong from an economic perspective. And most important of all, it is wrong from a moral perspective.

Mr. President, I yield the floor.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Here's a quick snapshot if you want to see his positions

(as far as the abortion issue goes, his record pretty much shows he is against any restrictions)

Heres the 99 bill:
Senator John Reid Edwards voted NO.

Vote to pass a bill that would make it a federal crime for a doctor to perform the procedure called "dilation and extraction" by physicians unless the life of the woman was at risk.

S 1692: Late-Term Abortion Ban

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

..said, to paraphrase, that one could not jab sharp instruments into the backs of little babies. Edwards? Nay, I have no problems with that practice.

Well, now we know what Galt was doing last weekend...

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Refresh my recollection again, which politician claimed upon his inaguration he would unify the country? Meanwhile we get name-calling, labeling and hardball politics as usual?

Personally, I think Edwards was absolutely clairvoyant in predicting the future in his speech opposing Ashcroft's nomination.

If Edward's quoted speechs are examples of the evil liberalism I would welcome the change gladly. Its time we wrest control of our country from the hardline Creationist currently in charge before he does any more damage to the US and the world.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001

I'd say it is a positive statement about him if he opposed the partial birth abortion ban. Bunch of Pro-Life wackos want to outlaw a medical procedure that has very little to do with thier agenda.

Of the other Galt mentions I only flat out disagree with the retoric on his record on the marriage tax penalty, estate tax (generally speaking since I don't know the specifics of the bills).

Hugenstein

Dec 30, 2000

By Republican math, I think this means he voted to raise taxes 297 times. :roll:

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Good there is no reason to ban a medical pratice.
Yeah just what we need more deficiets.
I'm sure you would start whining when those teens start pumping out welfare badies.
Another tax cut for the rich and it help kill SS at the same time.

Are we to assume that the bills that you didn't say how much they passed by where defeated?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I glad you told me us the truth about Edwards. I knew he was going to be neo-lib, but his voting record stinks royally (when he or Kerry bothers to vote at all).

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
I glad you told me us the truth about Edwards. I knew he was going to be neo-lib, but his voting record stinks royally (when he or Kerry bothers to vote at all).

...at least they are consistent, I guess; Kerry killed babies and Edwards supports the practice thereof.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

Well...

I glad you gots them there good lurnin in them Texass schoolz...

:roll:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

...at least they are consistent, I guess; Kerry killed babies and Edwards supports the practice thereof.
T:roll: