Senator Chuck Hagel R-Nebraska

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
http://images1.americanprogress.org/il8...7/ThinkProgress/2006/hagel.320.240.mov

Congress fails in its duty when we do not probe, when we fail, we do not ask tough questions, and we fail when we do not debate the gate issues of our day. There is no issue more important than war. The war in Iraq is the defining issue on which this Congress and the administration will be judged. The American people want to see serious debate about serious issues from serious leaders. They deserve more than a political debate. This debate should transcend cynical attempts to turn public frustration with the war in Iraq into an electoral advantage. It should be taken more seriously than to simply retreat into focus-group tested buzz words and phrases like ?cut and run,? catchy political slogans that debase the seriousness of war. War?s not a partisan issue, Mr. President. It should not be held hostage to political agendas. War should not be drug down into the political muck. America deserves better. Our men and women fighting and dying deserve better.

Finally one policitian talking like a grownup and not like a cartoon character.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Wow, that guy might have just gotten my vote -- if I lived in Nebraska ;)

Nice that someone in Congress thinks this way -- or at the very least says it.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I have to admire Senator Hagel, he's another one of the surprisingly growing number of Republicans I actually respect. But I have to think he's fighting a loosing battle. If we judged our leaders on their ethical, intellectual and leadership qualities, his statement would go without saying. Too bad our system is one where the Rove approach is wildly successful. I think most people would agree with Senator Hagel when they read this, but they'd forget it as soon as some politicial figure lets loose with the latest focus group tested sound-bite.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Verbage without action is worthless---lets see what Chuck Hagel actually probes--and how deeply.--he is a committee chairman after all--lots of power to probe there.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Verbage without action is worthless---lets see what Chuck Hagel actually probes--and how deeply.--he is a committee chairman after all--lots of power to probe there.

Indeed...although unless he's convinced some people to join him, going down in a blaze of glory isn't going to do anyone any good.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I have to admire Senator Hagel, he's another one of the surprisingly growing number of Republicans I actually respect. But I have to think he's fighting a loosing battle. If we judged our leaders on their ethical, intellectual and leadership qualities, his statement would go without saying. Too bad our system is one where the Rove approach is wildly successful. I think most people would agree with Senator Hagel when they read this, but they'd forget it as soon as some politicial figure lets loose with the latest focus group tested sound-bite.
I agree, Hagel seems pretty sane and responsible. I just hope it lasts. Chuck Grassley was pretty sensible too in earlier days. Over the last few years, however, he's sold himself out to the big credit card concerns and has becomes a mostly-reliable Bush lap dog. Pity.