Senate Republicans vote down bill blocking people on terror watch list buying guns

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Bullshit. Unless you want to advocate a nationwide outright ban on guns including confiscation of the hundreds of millions already out there, other gun laws are worthless in preventing criminals from getting guns. How well did it work in Paris? How well does it work in Chicago? Gun laws realistically impact those who care about following the law, not those who are going to break it anyway. There is a ready supply of guns for anyone who wants one regardless of gun laws. Perhaps you'd like to explain how gun laws will make getting guns difficult, when drugs laws and trillion dollar drug "war" have done nothing to make getting illegal drugs difficult at all?

Gun control laws are the knee-jerk reaction of those seeking a solution in the wrong place. Just like you can't stop the flow of drugs by stopping the import of drugs, you can't stop gun violence by restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. You have to address the users to stop drugs, and you have to address those willing to commit crimes with guns to reduce gun crime.

Now go look at the data instead of emotionally ranting.

Oct 16, 1999
I'm a real, actual, law abiding gun owner, not the proverbial one thrown around in these arguments as a strawman. Don't throw your hands up and say there's just nothing we can do about these incidents on my account. I'll gladly jump through a few extra hoops if it helps stop this shit. As long as I can still own a firearm to defend me and mine then infringement not found. I am also not afraid of the CDC researching the issue and developing strategies on just how to address this. Stop all this dumbassary, you, me, and everyone else are all just as at risk as when the wrong people get their hands on guns.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So out of curiosity since the government is so good at banning stuff, how's the war on drugs coming along?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'll gladly jump through a few extra hoops if it helps stop this shit.

IMO the far far larger issue isn't 'hoops' but using a watch list with secretive qualifications, questionable oversight, and is almost completely opaque to the population as a manner to restrict a civil right. Not to mention that its already well documented that these types of watch or restricted lists are fraught with clerical errors and have no real way to distinguish between similar names. The process to be removed from one of these lists is also extremely long and convoluted. Many stories I have read involve 4-7 years of lawsuits and review before issues are fixed.

This isn't a fucking hoop to jump through

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
IMO the far far larger issue isn't 'hoops' but using a watch list with secretive qualifications, questionable oversight, and is almost completely opaque to the population as a manner to restrict a civil right. Not to mention that its already well documented that these types of watch or restricted lists are fraught with clerical errors and have no real way to distinguish between similar names. The process to be removed from one of these lists is also extremely long and convoluted. Many stories I have read involve 4-7 years of lawsuits and review before issues are fixed.

This. Aside from the inevitable errors, it would be so easy to abuse and would give incentive to add more people to the watch list. It also seems like it could backfire. If you're a budding terrorist and want to know if the feds are on to you, try to buy a gun and see if you're flagged. Good intentions, but ill-considered.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Did you hear that? That was the sound of the world losing faith in America.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Who the heck cares what "the world" loses faith in? Go deal with your own issues instead of worrying about ours.

lol, ok bud. We'll see how happy Americans are when no one gives a shit what they say. Russia has already turned its nose at America. That's no big deal, right?

Oct 16, 1999

Well then fix those issues by adding notifications, oversight, and an appeal process.

As a gun owner, I am much safer from having access more restricted for those that would do me harm with them than having easy access for myself to throw another gun after gun on my pile. And if you're arguing against that, you're not arguing rationality, you're just arguing "freedumb!"

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
THANK YOU REPUBLICAN PARTY!
"THIS" is the America republican leadership has handed to us.
Plain and simple.
Absolutely no gun legislation, radical negative and bigoted talk over "them" vs "us".
Pitting people against people, one against another, class against class, nationality against nationality, religion against religion, society against society.
Demonizing nearly everyone to some extent for who they love, how they pray, where they come from, what they hope for, and how they vote.

Yes, THIS is the America handed to us by none other than republican leadership and republican rule.
And the truly sad thing is, we have many people that actually believe handing to us even more of this would be the answer to our problems.

We have many people that believe only by first making things much worse, will that somehow provide the solution.
That our only problem is, there is not enough republican influence.
Nor a republican in the Whitehouse as well.

This attitude is so absurdly insanely idiotic that it isn't worth the time is takes to reason with it.
We are surely all DOOMED!
Yes people this is what the republican party has handed to us. The inability of the federal govt to create a list in secret to deny people constitutional rights without due process. Oh the humanity! Even when Republicans manage to do the right thing the idiots of the world lambast them for it.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senate-gop-votes-terrorist-gun-bill-article-1.2454448

What will make it harder for terrorists from getting guns.. saying the words "radical islamic terrorism" or actually passing a law that makes it harder?

Why stop there? If they are on this list lets also throw out their right to vote. Dont want no terrorists swaying elections. Or how about the 4th amendment? Wouldnt want to terrorists having the right to deny our peaceful govt from invading their homes. Freedom of speech? Terrorists shouldnt be allowed to speak out against our govt!

This is a horrible horrible proposed law. Should never allow the govt to restrict rights based on secretive bullshit lists.

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The gun obsession in the United States ranks almost as high as the get rich obsession. There is no political solution. It's the price of doing business. The freedoms resulting from a free flow and use of arms means that frequently people who you would rather not use guns can do so. If the mass shooting of those little kids in the CT school didn't rally folks around reform, it's hard to imagine that anything will. There just isn't the political will to make a major change = the status quo.

However many shootings there are, in terms of population the odds are in my favor that I won't be shot on any given day. I just accept it as a risk of living "the American way of life". And although gun deaths have remained flat for a couple decades, they are down significantly from 30 years ago.

These types of "mass shootings", however represent only a small fraction. Most gun deaths are either suicides, domestic violence or street crimes.

Gun nuts arguments are generally dubious - which is common in most polemics - but they do have the saving grace of allowing individuals to make their own choices. If one doesn't like those choices maybe it would be better to raise the culture level to where blowing people away is more a regretful last resort than an exercise in personal assertion.

Plus of course...the ordinary mass will never wear any form of disarmament: it is astounding that American liberals worry so much about things that are not going to change, have immensely rich resources profiting from the status quo, and are inbred to the marrow of the American Soul.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Well then fix those issues by adding notifications, oversight, and an appeal process.

Oh duh - why didn't I think of that! It must just be so goddamn easy to do that. I mean its not like people have been fighting for years to try and fix those issues and have made next to no headway

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
lol, ok bud. We'll see how happy Americans are when no one gives a shit what they say. Russia has already turned its nose at America. That's no big deal, right?

Nope, it isn't. Frankly, I don't particularly care what other countries have to say about internal American issues. Screw them. They can deal with their own issues. The US is plenty capable of handling it's interests around the world as needed. If outsiders want to whine about an internal US matter, let them whine, nobody cares.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
You want to lead the world in foreign policy matters but can't handle cleaning up your own house. There is no incentive to follow America's leadership if the example they lead with is riddled with problems.

The same way that you question the good judgement of people that do stupid things, the world questions the judgement of America when it does stupid things.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You want to lead the world in foreign policy matters but can't handle cleaning up your own house. There is no incentive to follow America's leadership if the example they lead with is riddled with problems.

The same way that you question the good judgement of people that do stupid things, the world questions the judgement of America when it does stupid things.

No country can clean up their own house. Every country has problems.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
No country can clean up their own house. Every country has problems.

Of course they do. But you guys can't even agree that gun violence is a problem, much less that America HAS that problem.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Of course they do. But you guys can't even agree that gun violence is a problem, much less that America HAS that problem.

Gun violence is a problem. Most sane people admit that. How to fix it is the debate.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The only question you need to ask is this: "would you be fine restricting voting rights or freedom of speech to people on the terrorist watch list or not?" If you're not OK with limiting other constitutional rights based on some terrorist watchlist that has zero judicial oversight, then you shouldn't be ok limiting the second amendment either.