Senate Gang of 8 Reaches Immigration Deal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
I'm for kicking them all out - a majority of illegal immigrants are low/no skill workers and the under the table jobs that they take could go to a citizen that actually pays taxes. Able bodied people living here should be paying for the services they receive from the government - even the indirect ones. However, I realize that would be a massive undertaking that is never going to win enough political support to happen. So, here are my ramblings:
6. The visa and citizenship process for highly skilled technical workers (H-1B) is simplified. These are the types of people that will spur innovation for our country and we should make it easier for them to become permanent residents.

You're forgetting
7. Repeal the 14th amendment's anchor baby provision. We don't have people born into legal slavery anymore, there's no need for this. You'll knock out birth 'tourism'

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Or you know if a law enforcement officer pulls over a driver who lacks a driver's license we could hold that person until we verify they are a citizen.

But no that would be crazy. Heaven forbid law enforcement be expect to enforce our laws. That should be up to private businesses.

Oh, I agree. If you're pulled over and don't have a license, you should be held until your identity can be confirmed, regardless of your ethnicity. In my "plan", if you don't have an ID card, you are undocumented and should be deported.

However, I think that if an undocumented illegal immigrant couldn't get a job without their employer facing heavy federal fines (and possible imprisonment) and the illegal immigrants couldn't receive any type of federal aid, the problem would pretty quickly fix itself. If you can't get a job, you can't afford shelter or food, so you have to emigrate.

Last edited:

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
You're forgetting
7. Repeal the 14th amendment's anchor baby provision. We don't have people born into legal slavery anymore, there's no need for this. You'll knock out birth 'tourism'

I think a limitation of automatic citizen rights would be justified, but I doubt it will be done. Add a provision that automatic citizenship is only granted if the mother is a legal permanent resident of the country. I'm not sure what type of unintended consequences this would have though.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
$50,000 for citizenship. No free rides! We need money to pay china so cough up the money or go to a refugee camp.

Investigate every applicant for tax evasion.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/senate-group-reaches-immigration-deal-86793.html?hp=t1_3

Thankfully, it looks like comprehensive immigration reform is finally going to happen. This will bring a lot of people into the American fold to start legit legal businesses, eventual citizenship and all the wonderful benefits of being a documented American, which I think is wonderful. And post-2012 election results, Repubs are not surprisingly going to change their stance on this policy by going the "amnesty" route.

It's a brave new world, hopefully a lot of traditional Americans will simply accept it.

tumblr_mdm6n9zsux1rd9gdzo1_500.gif

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
dailymail is now saying Obama is pushing this without any changes to border security.

But who cares. Even with changes it amounts to nothing. The US already tried amnesty once. It didn't work, so now it's doing it again. You can't kick these people out. What you do is you militarize the fucking border, but the politicians don't care, so people will keep sneaking in after this and know that if they get caught they'll just get amnesty next round, or via whatever system is in place.

And whoever said the politicans are stupid for this, no they aren't; they know that what I Just described will keep happening. They are simply buying votes and currying favor with one of the fastest growing minorities.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
According to a five-page document provided to POLITICO, the sweeping proposal — agreed to in principle by eight senators — would seek to overhaul the legal immigration system as well as create a pathway to citizenship for the nation’s roughly 11 million illegal immigrants.

There already is a path to citizenship. It is called go back to your home country and apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy like everyone else. People in far away places like the Philippines wait years for the privilege. Sucks to be across the ocean I guess.

Here that trampling sound... it is the remaining 20 million people in Mexico scrambling across the border to get in on this sweet deal. And here I have been paying taxes for the last 20 years... I could have kept my money and just told whoever my name is Deiter and I am from Berlin illegally.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
dailymail is now saying Obama is pushing this without any changes to border security.

But who cares. Even with changes it amounts to nothing. The US already tried amnesty once. It didn't work, so now it's doing it again. You can't kick these people out. What you do is you militarize the fucking border, but the politicians don't care, so people will keep sneaking in after this and know that if they get caught they'll just get amnesty next round, or via whatever system is in place.

And whoever said the politicans are stupid for this, no they aren't; they know that what I Just described will keep happening. They are simply buying votes and currying favor with one of the fastest growing minorities.

They want you to think about this racially and sow division along those lines to keep your eye off the ball why powers that be of both parties allowed virtually unfettered illegal immigration for 30 years. It's all green.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Lots of Obama bashing about the border, can any cite anything particular that Obama isn't doing anything? Or is doing less than previous presidents?

Or is this one of those talking points you just take as being true because it feels right?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
There already is a path to citizenship. It is called go back to your home country and apply for a visa at the U.S. Embassy like everyone else. People in far away places like the Philippines wait years for the privilege. Sucks to be across the ocean I guess.

Maybe the deal should be we deport all the illegal immigrants.

And then increase the number of legal immigrants to replace the illegal ones on a one for one basis?