Senate defeats limits on Birth control coverage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Edit: the comments below are obviously not in response to the post directly above mine.

What a complete crock or everloving shit. The government is in no way evaluating, influencing, corrupting, or otherwise involving itself in any way with Catholic mysticism. It's ruled that employers must provide health care. That's all. Religion is not taken into account, which is exactly how it should be. Mormons are not forced to practice monogamy because they are singled out, they are forced to practice monogamy because it is the law, and the law will make no exception for them. Same with any Sharia idiot that wants to stone his wife because she sleeps with another man. He will be charged with murder.

If you don't like the fact that employers will be required to provide health coverage that includes birth control, then argue that point. This has absolutely nothing to do with Catholicism.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
You can't be serious.

I'm not a Catholic, but h3ll even I know they've been strongly anti-contraceptive since forever.

Fern

Yes they are anti-contraceptive, but the reality is that either many Catholics are successful with prayers, "please don't let me get pregnant," else they really are practicing contraceptive measures.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
It effectively denies women working for Catholic-affiliated institutions (or even spouses of those working for Catholic-affiliated institutions) access to affordable birth control.

I am by no means anti-birth control, but this is a statement I've heard from many places that is just not true. Birth control is surprisingly cheap from many places (ex. local clinic or Planned Parenthood) without insurance. Even just paying pharmacy prices, you can get it for $30-$50/month. My insurance co-pay for most medications is more than $30.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
They are just being FORCED to pay for something they dont belive in.

Honestly are you people on the left this stupid?

You get your undies in a bunch over a sign in a school because that somehow establishes religon, but goverment telling religous groups what they should, and should not do is 'ok'.

I don't believe in my country being the aggressor in wars. I don't believe in having a military budget larger than the rest of the world combined. I don't believe that churches should be able to occupy prime real-estate tax free. I don't believe that federal funds should be spent to keep people on death row alive when all of their appeals are exhausted.

Grow the fuck up.

Help! The 75% of us are being oppressed!

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I take it even further than a Catholic issue. If I own a business as a sole-proprietor and offer my employees healthcare, I now have no say in what is covered and what is not, therefore having little impact on my overall cost. Once again, government regulating business to the extent that it becomes too difficult to do business.

Did you used to selectively cover your employees' insurance? What did you cover and what did you not? Just out of curiosity. (Out of a good faith, I'll assume you possess robust medical knowledge for such decisions)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I am by no means anti-birth control, but this is a statement I've heard from many places that is just not true. Birth control is surprisingly cheap from many places (ex. local clinic or Planned Parenthood) without insurance. Even just paying pharmacy prices, you can get it for $30-$50/month. My insurance co-pay for most medications is more than $30.

Planned Parenthood and "local clinics" aren't free, they require medicad to get things for "free".

BC comes in a wide array of products. There are more than a half a dozen types of pills. Then you have shots. You also have IUDs. And then you have permanent solutions.

Oh and you insurance must suck if most medications have a higher co-pay than $30.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Its not quite the same. You cannot compare birth control to the usual types of medication you pick up under copay at your local pharmacy. Sure, if we were talking about the cheapest generics you may have a point. However, different types of BC have different effects on women. Some cannot take the cheapest option because their bodies will not tolerate it. Methods such as a DEPO shot are quite expensive. Some women cannot even take hormonal BC at all, so their only options are either a copper IUD or a permanent method of sterilization. These can be quite expensive indeed.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Yes they are anti-contraceptive, but the reality is that either many Catholics are successful with prayers, "please don't let me get pregnant," else they really are practicing contraceptive measures.

98% of catholics have at some point used contraception

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I don't believe in my country being the aggressor in wars. I don't believe in having a military budget larger than the rest of the world combined. I don't believe that churches should be able to occupy prime real-estate tax free. I don't believe that federal funds should be spent to keep people on death row alive when all of their appeals are exhausted.

Grow the fuck up.

Help! The 75% of us are being oppressed!

Its birth control. By it the FUCK YOURSELF.

If you can. DONT HAVE SEX.

Problem solved. Asshole.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Its not quite the same. You cannot compare birth control to the usual types of medication you pick up under copay at your local pharmacy. Sure, if we were talking about the cheapest generics you may have a point. However, different types of BC have different effects on women. Some cannot take the cheapest option because their bodies will not tolerate it. Methods such as a DEPO shot are quite expensive. Some women cannot even take hormonal BC at all, so their only options are either a copper IUD or a permanent method of sterilization. These can be quite expensive indeed.

darn. some stuff is expensive. Welcome to life.

Handout nation you liberal dems are.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
LMAO the GOP winning the hearts and minds of the voting public one wedge issue at a time.

Are they purposely trying to throw the November elections?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I don't understand why birth control should be held to a higher level than other medication. Why should birth control be free, but not life saving heart medication?

It doesn't. No where does it say that. It actually treats BC like other medications.

It just says companies and their health plans have to allow birth control to be covered by their plans. Prior to ObamaCare, BC of all types(pills, shots, etc) were rarely covered by insurance plans.

BC should be treated like all other preventative maintenance type things health insurance covers.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

Problem solved. Asshole.

Sex is a biological imperative. Lack of bc coverage WILL NOT stop people from having sex. The only thing it will do is increase the number of unwanted/unloved children in poverty and also increase the number of abortions. I'm sure you righties would just loooove that.

Also, let me repeat- BIRTH CONTROL IS NOT ONLY FOR CONTROLLING FERTILITY. Grow the fuck up and leave your attitude towards women's health back in 1912 where it belongs.

:cookie;

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
darn. some stuff is expensive. Welcome to life.

Handout nation you liberal dems are.

Yeah, stuff is expensive. So is heart medication, cancer medication, thyroid pills, vaccinations, boner pills, surgery, ER care, etc. All this rule is meant to do is to treat BC like any other medication. That is not a handout. It is common sense.

Use your brain moran! :rolleyes:

Oh, and we "liberal dems" aren't a "nation" as you call it. We are but part of one nation, which unfortunately includes intellectual lightweights such as yourself.

You and your ilk will find out come November that this is not a liberal/conservative issue. It is a female issue. Conservative/Liberal/Centrist/etc. does not factor into it. This is 2012, and women's health is not an issue that you can play around with. Enjoy the demise of the GOP if you insist on pursuing this course.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

Problem solved. Asshole.

That is stupid. Everyone knows human nature. We are, by design, wanting sex throughout the vast majority of our lives. Neither your stupid religion nor condescending attitude prevents anyone from having sex, including the very people who are offended.

This measure is intelligent and will SAVE money in the long run.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The bill is ridiculous. Had it become law and employers had started chopping up the health insurance their employees want/need/expect, I'd be willing to bet that many would call for unions in their workplace so they might have a chance to restore it. And given the right's fondness for unions...... Law of unintended consequences.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Yeah, stuff is expensive. So is heart medication, cancer medication, thyroid pills, vaccinations, boner pills, surgery, ER care, etc. All this rule is meant to do is to treat BC like any other medication. That is not a handout. It is common sense.

Use your brain moran! :rolleyes:

Oh, and we "liberal dems" aren't a "nation" as you call it. We are but part of one nation, which unfortunately includes intellectual lightweights such as yourself.

You and your ilk will find out come November that this is not a liberal/conservative issue. It is a female issue. Conservative/Liberal/Centrist/etc. does not factor into it. This is 2012, and women's health is not an issue that you can play around with. Enjoy the demise of the GOP if you insist on pursuing this course.

its a handout when you want it for free.

Most use of BC are for sex.

To say that BC is like other medication just means your stupid.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
That is stupid. Everyone knows human nature. We are, by design, wanting sex throughout the vast majority of our lives. Neither your stupid religion nor condescending attitude prevents anyone from having sex, including the very people who are offended.

This measure is intelligent and will SAVE money in the long run.

Where do I want to ban BC?

no where morons.

You can still get it. Just pay for it. or find an insurance company that does.

Dont use goverment to force whatever handout you want.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
It doesn't. No where does it say that. It actually treats BC like other medications.

It just says companies and their health plans have to allow birth control to be covered by their plans. Prior to ObamaCare, BC of all types(pills, shots, etc) were rarely covered by insurance plans.

BC should be treated like all other preventative maintenance type things health insurance covers.

Obama said that insurance companies have to include BC for 'free'

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I don't understand why birth control should be held to a higher level than other medication. Why should birth control be free, but not life saving heart medication?

Because birth control is crucial for women's equality and autonomy in our society. People have sex. Inside or outside of marital bedroom, and with or without the purpose of procreation. You cannot stop it. And you surely do not want the government to enter your bedroom to monitor it.

Thanks to human reproductive mechanism, it's almost always women who carry the burden of the aftermath of each and every incident of sexual intimacy. Men, with a few exceptional situations, walk free with no consequence. And pregnancy is not something you can wipe off with a towel or a tissue.

Thus, without contraceptives and other guarantees on reproductive autonomy, women cannot stand on equal footing with men in economic/political realm. (Remember that there is a male co-opt when a woman has sex, who does not suffer the consequence of the act he participates in the same way she does. A woman can't get pregnant by herself.) That is why birth control is not the same as other medical assistance.

Is this answer satisfactory for you?

Last edited:

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Where do I want to ban BC?

no where morons.

You can still get it. Just pay for it. or find an insurance company that does.

Dont use goverment to force whatever handout you want.

Follow-up question: Can you find where any of the major insurance companies have complained about this? Even the ones that have to provide this out of their own pocket because they insure a religious-affiliated institution? Until you do, your argument about the government "forcing what we want" is moot.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Follow-up question: Can you find where any of the major insurance companies have complained about this? Even the ones that have to provide this out of their own pocket because they insure a religious-affiliated institution? Until you do, your argument about the government "forcing what we want" is moot.

They wont, they'll just raise rates.

Like I said, its and end around serperation of church and state. Forcing religous groups to pay for birth control.

But like I pointed out before. Liberals only belive in seperation of church and state when it works to ban religon.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
They wont, they'll just raise rates.

Like I said, its and end around serperation of church and state. Forcing religous groups to pay for birth control.

But like I pointed out before. Liberals only belive in seperation of church and state when it works to ban religon.

Try again. You have not shown that rates would be raised specifically on religious employers because of this rule.

Also, LIBERALS DO NOT WANT TO BAN RELIGION. You know nothing of liberals, and even less about religion. This rule has nothing to do with banning, restricting, or even influencing religion in any way.