Sen. Rob Portman changes stance on gay marriage 2 years after son says he's gay

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
His example is exactly the predicament of all conservatives, they're so narrow minded cause they have no experience of the "other". They fear & hate that which they dont know because they've never experienced it. Gays? They're twisted ppl that are degenerte. Blacks they're violent & will steal from u. Muslims? They're violent & want to convert u by force to Islam. Etc etc. Once they actually meet members of the "other", they realize they're not that different from us.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
His example is exactly the predicament of all conservatives, they're so narrow minded cause they have no experience of the "other". They fear & hate that which they dont know because they've never experienced it. Gays? They're twisted ppl that are degenerte. Blacks they're violent & will steal from u. Muslims? They're violent & want to convert u by force to Islam. Etc etc. Once they actually meet members of the "other", they realize they're not that different from us.

Is that why conservatives revel in destroying the livelihood of people who disagree with them on same-sex marriage....

Oh wait that's liberals. My bad.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Is that why conservatives revel in destroying the livelihood of people who disagree with them on same-sex marriage....

Oh wait that's liberals. My bad.

In 50 years it'll be common place in the west & the next generation will look back @ it the same we look back @ civil rights. A conservative merely conserves what liberals before him established! Its ironic that conservatives today adore Jesus, cause conservatives @ his time had him crucified!

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
In time there will be more Portmans on this issue, because that's the way public opinion is heading.

.. whether or not nehalem and the fewer and fewer who share his opinion want it to happen.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So, the guy can't have a genuine change of heart?

I believe that a lot of people don't see how wrong or important something is until it affects them directly. Being able to take the prejudice blinders off when that does happen should at least count for something.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
In time there will be more Portmans on this issue, because that's the way public opinion is heading.

.. whether or not nehalem and the fewer and fewer who share his opinion want it to happen.

Luckily the nehalems of this country are few and far between. If the country were a majority of people like him ... wait, that exists, it's called Iran.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Luckily the nehalems of this country are few and far between. If the country were a majority of people like him ... wait, that exists, it's called Iran.

Yes a world filled with honest, moral, hard-working people. What a terrible place that would be :rolleyes:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
The whole thought process behind same-sex marriage making sense does.

No it does not. You're not the judge of what makes sense and what does not, nor are you an authority on what constitutes or threatens an honest, moral, and hard-working society.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
No it does not. You're not the judge of what makes sense and what does not, nor are you an authority on what constitutes or threatens an honest, moral, and hard-working society.

People who believe in same-sex marriage do not believe in marriage(of any kind).

They believe in temporary domestic partnerships, which they then have decided to call marriage, in order to get the same government swag.

And my mention of honest, moral, hard-working people had little if anything to do with same-sex marriage. It was general statement that implied that society would in fact be significantly improved if it was populated by people like me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It was general statement that implied that society would in fact be significantly improved if it was populated by people like me.

lol.

One of the most widely disliked people on this board thinks the world would be better if everyone were like him.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
People who believe in same-sex marriage do not believe in marriage(of any kind).

Wrong.

They believe in temporary domestic partnerships, which they then have decided to call marriage, in order to get the same government swag.

Also wrong.

And my mention of honest, moral, hard-working people had little if anything to do with same-sex marriage. It was general statement that implied that society would in fact be significantly improved if it was populated by people like me.

Wrong again.

You've got the trifecta of wrongness.

Nothing you can ever say will make anything you've said any more right and any less wrong, so I'm not sure why you bother to try.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

You're not going to keep gay people apart so why try and keep them from getting married? The "Government Swag" from getting married is minimal at best. What do you think does more damage to the sanctity of marriage, two people who love each other spending the rest of their lives together or Britney Spears getting married and divorced within a few hours because she is bored?

If you wish to keep people from getting married because you want everyone to have the same beliefs you do, than that is the exact fascism the right gets upset at being called. If on the other hand you let people do whatever the hell they want as long as there are no consequences for you or others than that is what the right is "supposed" to be all about.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
lol.

One of the most widely disliked people on this board thinks the world would be better if everyone were like him.

There is pretty much no question of it.

Virtually eliminate single motherhood, drug addicts, drunkards, theft, murder...

Or legalize same-sex marriage.

Its pretty obvious which improves society more.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
You're not going to keep gay people apart so why try and keep them from getting married? The "Government Swag" from getting married is minimal at best.

Then why are people so obsessed with government recognized same-sex marriage.

Marriage is about recognizing a relationships as being "special" or important to society.

Same-sex relationships are basically irrelevant to society. Well, except for the whole AIDS thing.

What do you think does more damage to the sanctity of marriage, two people who love each other spending the rest of their lives together or Britney Spears getting married and divorced within a few hours because she is bored?

And you do realize that same-sex marriage is brought to you by the same people who brought to you the Britney Spears view of marriage.

In fact such a view of marriage meaning nothing is basically a requirement for considering same-sex marriage to be anything beyond a punchline.

If you wish to keep people from getting married because you want everyone to have the same beliefs you do, than that is the exact fascism the right gets upset at being called. If on the other hand you let people do whatever the hell they want as long as there are no consequences for you or others than that is what the right is "supposed" to be all about.

I am not the one that revels in destroying the livelihood of elderly women because they disagree with my view on marriage. That would be the left.