Sen Josh Hawley wants to ban infinite scroll and autoplay videos on social media.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I’m for it

Edit: just read his rationale, social media addiction. That’s interesting for sure. Not sure how I feel about banning it though.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Republican Senator advocates restricting free speech. Republicans blame Democrats. News at 11.

Who am I kidding though, I hate social media and would love to see this happen...but it won’t.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
That demagogue really has nothing better to do than trash tech job creators because his state is backwards and not appealing to them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'd be fine with banning autoplay videos...if I want to watch the content, I can click "Play."

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am fine with banning guns. If I want to shoot a gun, I'll join the military.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I'd be fine with banning autoplay videos...if I want to watch the content, I can click "Play."

It should be a feature of the web browser to override that behavior for all videos.

Maybe the guy is talking about mobile apps...

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah everyone hates the garbage "Web 3.0" or whatever the fuck people call it has become. I turned off my ad blocker once and I'm pretty sure I have ihave irreparable brain damage now.

So sure, it's the standard backwards and hypocritical logic pretzels that pubs work themselves into but if it actually benefits me and my fellow humans then who the hell cares who's pitching it.

Ban auto play videos and ban infinite scroll garbage. It's the rods to the hog's head and that's the way I like it. Get off my lawn.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't know about his rationale - surely autoplay videos and infinite scrolling _reduce_ internet addiction because they are so damn annoying that it makes you (me, anyway) less inclined to visit sites that use them?
(What I find really amazing are sites that use infinite - or at least, near-unlimited - scrolling and then put links at the bottom of the page that you can't reach until you've scrolled through the entire content of the site)

Also I don't really see that this is a matter for legislators - stupid web-design fads surely can be left to market forces?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Can he also legislate to ban silly 'popularity bars' on supposedly grown-up tech sites?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
"R" is for regulation? Lol....big gubbernint to fill in for stupid people, need some of that sweet conservative nanny state. Or, you know, people could just stop using social media. Maybe there should be a social media anonymous for addicts to break free and get a hobby.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
"R" is for regulation? Lol....big gubbernint to fill in for stupid people, need some of that sweet conservative nanny state. Or, you know, people could just stop using social media. Maybe there should be a social media anonymous for addicts to break free and get a hobby.

Hawley is another one also beating the drum about tech firms "discriminating against conservatives"

Mar 11, 2004
Hawley did beat that radical leftist Claire McCaskill

Oh, so this is the guy that immediately tried to start some "we must destroy Google!" thing when he got into office (I believe he campaigned on some pretty crazy shit, although they tried to mask a lot of it so that he wouldn't get outed and mocked like all the dumbass old men Republicans that run in Missouri that led to McCaskill beating that one "legit rape" fucking idiot), then when it was clear that was not only not going to be legal it was going to reveal how full of shit him and Republicans claiming free speech was being infringed by said corporations by trying to clamp down on others' free speech, so he's since looked at more legitimate ways to go after the companies.

I can almost 100% guarantee this guy's stuff is being written by other corporations lawyers (like how telcos were writing the legislation that they tried going after Google over piracy stuff; I wouldn't be surprised if its the exact same lawyers writing this stuff). And its all so he can build a sham reputation for being tough on these companies and trying to ruin their reputations so that one day they can actually do what they originally wanted (which is force companies to have to spread Republican hate speech).

Fuck this guy.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
With great freedom comes great responsibility. But tell people they have free speech and they will say anything for a buck, especially if in rare cases they may be genetically unable to feel empathy or empathy was beaten our of them as children. And why do anything about it when, we too, in our own entitlement induces calousness, may live richly above it all, someday, in a gated community.