Sen. Flake Gets Confronted by ALS Patient on Plane

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Lost my dad to ALS. Very miserable disease.
He was a republican, but he passed away in 2003 and frankly he's be disgusted by what the party has turned into. I suspect he too would have issued a butt-chewing to any congressman that happened to be on a plane with him.

Reactions: bradly1101

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Please pardon me for not keeping up with the politics or the GOP tax plan, but I thought only the Senate passed the the bill?

Reactions: feralkid

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
And he confronted a senator about it.
Besides which, it fucked over millions of people and it should never have even passed the senate.
I have to agree. If this becomes law, I'm wondering how it will affect me since I'm on disability and depend on Medicare, Medicaid, and HUD for my medicines and housing.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Please pardon me for not keeping up with the politics or the GOP tax plan, but I thought only the Senate passed the the bill?
Both Houses of congress have passed different versions of the same bill. They now need to reconcile the differences which is something that may still result in it failing if the differences cannot be reconciled.

The dying man is right though. No one will ever see any of these GOP senators as heroes. Ever. McCain has a shot because he at times does the right thing. The rest of these guys, in 20 years their kids will look at them with disdain with what they created.

Dec 10, 2005
The House past an odious version as well. It is now in conference to work out the differences

Dec 10, 2005
My dad has what some doctors believe is a very slow form of ALS (an extremely rare variant, affecting about 50 people worldwide last time I checked; progresses over a very long period: 15+ years. It's such a rare condition at the forefront of the research boundary, the experts have yet to come to fill agreement): he's on permanent long-term disability as of a few years ago because he couldn't work full-time anymore. He relies on early Medicare coverage for his health insurance.

At the end of the day, many republican policies are absolutely heartless. They might express sympathy for individuals they meet, but their wholesale slashing hurts real people, and they just don't give a fuck about that, because Koch needs more fucking money for some reason.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Flakes tweet to the guy was classic GOP when they know their position is indefensible: let's agree to disagree on this issue is what he tweeted.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The House past an odious version as well. It is now in conference to work out the differences
No matter it will still be lipstick on a pig.
lip-stick-on-a-pig-agile.jpg

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The rest of these guys, in 20 years their kids will look at them with disdain with what they created.
You think that's what these guys are thinking when they're voting for stuff like this?
I'm pretty sure it's "how do I ensure I get voted in again?...I know, I'll take as many "donations" for the highest bids as possible."

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
And he confronted a senator about it.
Besides which, it fucked over millions of people and it should never have even passed the senate.
And there weren't supposed to be any sweeteners in it, yet they gave away the Arctic National Wildlife "Refuge" to drillers/frackers in order to get Murkowski's vote. I have no doubt that this provision will make it through to final form. (sorry, I may have shared this already, but it really pisses me off).

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Lost my dad to ALS. Very miserable disease.
He was a republican, but he passed away in 2003 and frankly he's be disgusted by what the party has turned into. I suspect he too would have issued a butt-chewing to any congressman that happened to be on a plane with him.
My condolences. Losing loved ones is well... Standing up to politicians, being heard, is what this country was all about. Now they can only hear you if your wallet is fat. Like a lot of evil things, we make up great names, like lobbying (bribery), and manifest-destiny (genocide), and collusion (conspiracy),.....

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The country hates this tax bill. GOP is not even bothering to sell it as trickle down since supply side economics is a big joke now. So basically their only argument is, we have the votes, so we are going to ram it through.