Selling your Soul 101

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I used to own 3 souls, I gave my best friend his back. I still own the soul of this kid that used to come into this store I managed and this big breasted red haired chick I knew. Won em all in Rock Paper Scissor. I would give the other two souls back but I figure if there is an afterlife and I was full of shit maybe I'll have some bartering chips.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This would have been so easy to fix, just replace the word Devil with Corporation!

It's to bad she wasn't willing to engage in what may have been a useful exercise for examining her own morals and instead used her Christian faith as a shield.

Christian faith IS a shield. I have a problem with the teacher allowing her to instead write a story imagining selling her soul to anyone and anything. Imagine the outcry among the left if the teacher had assigned a Muslim student to write an essay about abandoning Allah - or if she had assigned her class to write essays about giving their souls to G-d. One would think the fate of Western civilization was at stake in that case. Wolf's defense aside, if one can't mention G-d then one should not be able to mention the Devil either.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005
Christian faith IS a shield. I have a problem with the teacher allowing her to instead write a story imagining selling her soul to anyone and anything. Imagine the outcry among the left if the teacher had assigned a Muslim student to write an essay about abandoning Allah - or if she had assigned her class to write essays about giving their souls to G-d. One would think the fate of Western civilization was at stake in that case. Wolf's defense aside, if one can't mention G-d then one should not be able to mention the Devil either.

Who said anything about not being able to mention God? Have you ever taken a High school English course?

Most high school English courses teach early American literature and since religious Puritans basically settled America (remember pilgrims from Thanksgiving) most early American literature is biblical by nature. Heck, in my English class we read and studied the King James bible as literature.

We read Sinners in the eyes of an Angry God, Scarlet letter, Devil and Tom Walker, and other stories that dealt with God and faith.

If a Jew, Muslim, atheist, Hindu or anyone else wanted to read Jewish, Muslim, Atheist or Hindu stories, tough cookies. There isn't a strong Jewish, Muslim, Atheist or Hindu bent in early American literature. I would think you'd be all for this, the teacher is teaching about Christianity's role in early America!

The point of the story is that selling your soul to the devil is a loser's bet. No matter what you get out of it, the devil always comes out ahead! If the girl had just written an essay saying nothing is worth selling your soul over then she'd have received an A and shown she understood the story!

What a horrible turn of events if we stopped teaching children about the Christian roots of our country because .... Christians don't want to read about the Christan roots of our country?

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Who said anything about not being able to mention God? Have you ever taken a High school English course?

Most high school English courses teach early American literature and since religious Puritans basically settled America (remember pilgrims from Thanksgiving) most early American literature is biblical by nature. Heck, in my English class we read and studied the King James bible as literature.

We read Sinners in the eyes of an Angry God, Scarlet letter, Devil and Tom Walker, and other stories that dealt with God and faith.

If a Jew, Muslim, atheist, Hindu or anyone else wanted to read Jewish, Muslim, Atheist or Hindu stories, tough cookies. There isn't a strong Jewish, Muslim, Atheist or Hindu bent in early American literature. I would think you'd be all for this, the teacher is teaching about Christianity's role in early America!

The point of the story is that selling your soul to the devil is a loser's bet. No matter what you get out of it, the devil always comes out ahead! If the girl had just written an essay saying nothing is worth selling your soul over then she'd have received an A and shown she understood the story!

What a horrible turn of events if we stopped teaching children about the Christian roots of our country because .... Christians don't want to read about the Christan roots of our country?

Then she would have failed the assignment since according to the article that was not an option.

Trough says when the teacher told students to write an essay on how they would sell their souls - or what trade they would make with the Devil - she refused, saying that compromised her Christian values and her parents agreed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Then she would have failed the assignment since according to the article that was not an option.

This. I'd have no problem with an assignment debating the ethics or advisability of selling one's soul to the devil; I have a huge problem with an assignment mandating the concept.

kia75

Oct 30, 2005

Trough says when the teacher told students to write an essay on how they would sell their souls - or what trade they would make with the Devil - she refused, saying that compromised her Christian values and her parents agreed.

Where does it say that student would have failed for writing an essay in which she states she would never trade her soul for anything? By writing said essay in the negative, she would have fulfilled the requirements of the essay.

The problem came when the girl refused to write ANY essay, even the alternative subject the teacher came up with. The girl is probably a good Christian girl, but what do you think would have happened if the teacher let the girl skip this essay? Suddenly everyone in the class would find this essay and every one after it sacrilegious.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This. I'd have no problem with an assignment debating the ethics or advisability of selling one's soul to the devil; I have a huge problem with an assignment mandating the concept.

That is just so silly. Everybody knows you would just have to keep your fingers crossed when you wrote it.