Seller offered free shipping, item arrived non-working, now I get refund minus shipping charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Bought a Blackberry off Ebay and it didn't work. Filled out the RMA form and sent it back. Just got my refund for the price I paid minus $17.62 ($15 for shipping and the rest for insurance I bought). The guy offered free shipping and looking at the item page it does say:

An option of a refund for defective merchandise is available. The refund is equal to the purchase price of the item. This does NOT include the shipping and handling fees. In cases where free shipped was offered, there will be a charge of $14.99 for items shipped to you via UPS and $4.99 for items shipped via USPS.

I understand that this is his "policy" but is this in agreement with Ebay & Paypal rules? I've never had a store (he is a power seller) send me a refund for a broken item with the shipping charges taken out.

Is there anything I can do? File a dispute with Paypal or something?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
I don't see what the 'problem' is - he clearly stated and followed his rules.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: spaceman
why dont i see you post anymore?

I have a fan? Didn't think anyone would remember me. I've been around. You must me confusing me with someone else.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Quintox
I don't see what the 'problem' is - he clearly stated and followed his rules.
Lesson learned? Next time read the rules more closely?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Yzzim

I have a fan? Didn't think anyone would remember me. I've been around. You must me confusing me with someone else.

no you had a different avatar iirc

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like bullshit to me. Look into the rules of ebay and paypal, dispute it. Just because it is in his listing doesn't make it binding.. i.e. small print saying "Buyer agrees to blow me before receiving item" will not be binding.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No, that's ridiculous. Start filing some complaints since it's his fault that it's not working.

IF it was working and you returned it, then it would be total cost less shipping.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Yzzim

no you had a different avatar iirc

yes, I did. You have a good memory.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
If you really want you could file a dispute, then maybe a claim if you really want to. However, if you do it Paypal will generally make you ship the item back so... you're going to lose out on shipping anyways. Also, it's going to take a couple of days if not weeks or even months. I'd just take what you got right now. It's probably as much as you're going to get.

Think about it, would you really be willing to go through all that trouble for $15?

Status
Not open for further replies.