Sega Announces New System and it's official, Dreamcast is stopping production in April

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
The thread is basically all I have to say, considering I lost the link to the news story. However, it should be noted that while Sega said it will cease production of Dreamcast in April because "they have sufficient inventory to last the summer", they didn't say that they wouldn't start production again later. So who knows....

The new Sega system apparently plays dreamcast games except you download them rather than pop in a GD, very strange...

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
The games will go on. Over 100 are still scheduled for inbetween now and next March.

mindiris

Oct 23, 1999
Regardless, as long as good games keep getting released, I've already made gotten some quality gaming on my Dreamcast.

As for the downloads, it's a big gamble that everyone will have broadband available.

SinnerWolf

Dec 30, 2000
well the hope of downloading games doesn't mean strictly off the net. Several companies are toying with the idea of adding a download machine to your local video store, gaming store, or the like. It's a huge cooperative effort that will once again change the market. They're waiting for some new anti-piracy methods to be successful before they actual develop such a business design. They're leaning towards propreitary cardtridges similiar to the n64 and other nintendo consoles as of right now. But will most likely wait until broadband is virtually universal (as far as the gaming community is concerned), copyright issues have been settled, and the like. They're also working on this same idea for music, which will be implemented long before games. None of this will happen until (yup you guessed it), the napster song and dance is resolved. If Napster is allowed to continue you can bet you'll see this within a year and possibly on regular CDs. If not, then it'll either be scrapped altogether or a new proprietary device for playing/receiving music will be developed. (Sony anyone?!?)

change is a good thing. someone forgot to tell metallica tho