Question Seeking suggestions for new build - VM, office, photography (no gaming)

nkarasev

Nov 30, 2023
Hi,
I know there are thousands questions and even more answers, but all are different. My goal is somewhat special but i am sure there are enough geeks that done something similar, so I want to ask.
I built few PCs before so not a novice, but last time was few years back. I am not current on latest/greatest CPUs, memories, boards, etc - that is why coming here.
Ultimate goal aside, the reasons to build is always budget concerns (otherwise would pick multi-thousand dollar Mac and be happy), so my budget lets say $2,000 or less (preferably less)
Now technical: Idea is to run Linux (Ubuntu or Fedora) with QEMU/KVM and run a macOS preferably (at worst a Windows) to be able to run photography editing software that does not run on Linux.
(I have a good Linux box to run darktable, works great, but there is need to run something more specific)
So here is the need to have a CPU with hyper-threading. Here is a need to have a GPU that is good for graphic, do not care about gaming.
I would be running only 1 OS under VM on the box at a time, not sure if this makes it easier to select CPU that is just enough for the task.
Obviously 64 gb RAM, appropriate board (BlueTooth is a must), internal 2 x 2TB solid drives. Would like to have extension to add some more solid drives or at least external drives for backup, storage, etc. I currently run 2 old HDs with 4TB each, so I guess about the same would be desired as extra storage.
As for the box - should be plain $100 or less, no RGB lights or something. Of course USB-C ports are welcome, better more than 1.
Obviously LAN (WiFi is optional)

What are the suggestions here?
Intel 12/13 ? Core i5/i7/i9?
What board?

Thanks