Seeking recommendations: a hybrid (gas+EV) mid-sized SUV

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I make up grocery-shopping urgencies so I can go out in my 95 Trooper. I love this vehicle. I feel proud of it. Of course, the gasoline is costing me $5.50/gal, and I remain surprised at how fast one can blow through $90 to fill the tank.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a newer vehicle for maybe 5 years now. I really wanted to wait until I could buy a pre-owned EV, but new or used -- I don't drive enough nor might I live long enough to justify a completely new car. [My doctor says that I am still "fairly healthy", but at least three people -- relatives or close friends -- have punched out unexpectedly this year. My pulmonologist's after-visit notes say "57-pack-years" for the habit that I may have finally licked, but only time will tell.]

Of course, I could say that I'd better enjoy myself while I can, and justify a new vehicle that way. But I really enjoy my old Trooper.

Whatever. I've recently been looking at a Toyota Prius -- new or used -- and "just to think about". My petrol bill would drop to about $30 to $40 per month from what now seems to exceed $120. (I'm driving approximately 3,000 miles/annum). It would be best of both worlds: no need to wait for those charging stations to become plentiful.

But I'm still thinking I'd rather have a mid-sized SUV. I know there are hybrid SUVs on the market; I had a friend who'd bought one around 2004. I just don't know the makes and models.

Recommendations? I may not even fulfill this possibility in the end, but I'm entertaining it, and I need to know my options.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The smaller more compact SUV's have a myriad of hybrid choices and the interior room of these are quite large due to them "moving up" sizes, so you may be comfortable with a compact. CRV, RAV4, Tucson, Sportage.

Midsize:
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Toyota Venza
Kia Sorrento Hybrid
BMW X5 xDrive45e
I agree about the CRV and RAV4. Tucson was recommended by my dentist, who dumped his 2017 Hyundai so he could go back to driving his 2005 Mercedes. The compact models piqued my interest, but for one thing -- tow weight or towing ability.

Am I going to need it? It depends on how many more years I'm tethered to my residence with elder-care responsibilities. I had other plans as well to obtain a used Burro or Casita fiberglass camper-trailer.

That's also the reason I've kept the old Trooper. If I couldn't envision some safari that would have me visiting campgrounds over a 2-month period, I could see merely renting a more gas-efficient mid-sized SUV. Of course, I can keep the Trooper, but buying gas these days is more and more like the burden of having a tour-bus RV getting 5 miles to the gallon.

There's a phenomenon in traffic that parallels "body-language". Driving the Trooper, I get disrespect from people driving zippy sedans. I get respect from Rubicon owners. And the more the former group seems to behave as though they're thinking "That guy must be super poo-er . . . " the more prideful I am for driving my ancient orphaned vehicle. In its current state of repair, I'm likely to die before it does.

I was looking at the Toyota Highlander hybrid. It's 198+ inches long. Tomorrow I'll take a tape-measure to the garage, just to see if one would fit. But buying one? I could almost pay cash outright next year. But it's not something I'll likely do. Until I can go on those two-month camping trips, 3,000 miles per annum doesn't seem to justify a newer vehicle.

. . . I'll continue to toy with the idea . . .

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Given how little you drive it hardly seems worthwhile to buy a new vehicle. Even if you doubled your driving it wouldn't make sense...unless gas prices went over $10 or something.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Next year used EVs and PHEVs under $25,000 get a tax credit, if your income qualifies. That might put a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV or a Prius Prime in your price range. The Outlander is a real, though small, crossover, but you have to plug it in in your parking place to save gas. (A 120V outlet will do fine.)

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Given how little you drive it hardly seems worthwhile to buy a new vehicle. Even if you doubled your driving it wouldn't make sense...unless gas prices went over $10 or something.
Such is the thought which I have every time I think about it.

At the moment, I'm tethered to the house for being Moms' caregiver, and can mostly be away for 3 hours or less. So the profile suggests the annual 2,500 or 3,000 miles/annum driven.

I had bought the Trooper with "vacation trips" in mind. I was going to find a used Burro or Casita camper-trailer, and spend week-long stretches in the eastern Sierras.

Thus, when I think about a Highlander EV with its 35/35 mpg spec, it only seems like a plan to follow after Moms' passing. As for something like the Prius, it isn't likely capable of towing even a light-weight camper. The Trooper would be absolutely wonderful, but not with current or future gas prices and long excursions.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
As for something like the Prius, it isn't likely capable of towing even a light-weight camper. The Trooper would be absolutely wonderful, but not with current or future gas prices and long excursions.
Towing is always inefficient. Especially if it adds to your vehicle's frontal profile. There's just no way to get good mileage that way, either with gas or with EVs.

The Outlander I recommended isn't good for road tripping. After using its EV range it only gets 25MPG. :(

I was a caregiver for my parents until last year. It's hard to predict how your life will go after that. You might want to wait on major purchases.

Until then, for efficient grocery trips, you could get a cargo e-bike. ;)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
While there may not be a financial case for new, cars have come an incredible way in the almost 30 years since your car was made.

Modern headlights can be spectacular, particularly on models redesigned since IIHS started scoring them. Between that and modern safety structures, crash avoidance/mitigation technologies, etc there is plenty of reason to retire perfectly functional older vehicles. If you can afford it but find it difficult to justify from a purely financial perspective you should go drive a modern car with IIHS ‘good’ headlights after dark. The difference vs your current car will amaze you. Many cars even from just a few years ago had shockingly poor headlights, but anything redesigned recently is likely to score high.

I probably care more about this than most people but I have been basing purchases on IIHS headlight ratings since they started doing them. When matrix lights are finally allowed I will probably buy a new car just to get them.

Viper GTS

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Until then, for efficient grocery trips, you could get a cargo e-bike. ;)
I bet you thought I was kidding when I wrote this.

Actually, I was half-kidding. But apparently some people take this idea seriously.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-13-at-10.11.42-1.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I bet you thought I was kidding when I wrote this.

Actually, I was half-kidding. But apparently some people take this idea seriously.

Screen-Shot-2022-12-13-at-10.11.42-1.jpg
That took me down a rather enjoyable rabbit trail. :)

I want one.
1672675706331.png

Just don't look at it too closely. :p

I really do want an electric bike but living in an exurb with an 18 mile one way commute and the nearest grocery store still nine highway miles away, it doesn't work for me yet. If we get a grocery in closer then I'll be bike shopping.

Reactions: Ken g6

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
It may be too small for you, but my buddy got a RAV4 Prime & it's really fantastic! EV portion does 42 miles & drives great!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Have to admit: I'm jonesing for the new Kia Sportage (available in both hybrid and PHEV versions) right now. That's something I never thought I'd say.

It's a fairly good-looking SUV with nice in-cabin tech and reasonable prices. Can't ask for much more than that.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Have to admit: I'm jonesing for the new Kia Sportage (available in both hybrid and PHEV versions) right now. That's something I never thought I'd say.

It's a fairly good-looking SUV with nice in-cabin tech and reasonable prices. Can't ask for much more than that.
My wife loves her 2011. So much so that she didn't trade it in when I told her to, and now she can't.