Question Seeking Quiet, inexpensive Mid Tower. Corsair 275Q vs Fractal Define C vs others?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I am looking for a quiet mid tower case. Bling free as possible. 2001 Monolith is my idea of case style. I will NEVER liquid cool.

Something like Fractal R5 or R6 are near ideal if a bit larger than I want, but they also are over budget. I'd Love a door on that quiet case, so I can just open it to improve airflow to Mesh levels. I really consider the door option the best of both worlds.

While less convenient I figure I can achieve similar idea with the Define C and/or Corsair 275Q. Both Quiet understated cases. That I can take the front panel off if I really need more airflow, while maintaining the filter for dust protection.

These are each about $110 on Amazon.ca and have free shipping. That's near the limit on budget.

I note that the Corsair has more length, so can likely fit a bit longer GPU and PSU (while keeping the HDD cage).

They seem fairly even with slight edge in favor of the Corsair 275Q. Anything that tilts it back toward the Fractal Define C, or suggestions for another similar option I have overlooked?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
They are pretty equivalent. Although personally I would find a case with a mesh front for better air flow since you will be using air cooling. Yes the front panels can come off. But there are equivalent cases with mesh fronts.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I have thought this through. ZERO interest in Mesh front cases. No real advantage that I can see over a case where I can remove the front panel to get similar (if not better) airflow. The case with the solid panel gives me two options. With mesh front you only get one.

Also I get an easy to clean filter that was designed to actually be a filter, and doesn't have to be structural.

Compare the Define C and Meshify C. Same case with different front.

The Define C will get less airflow and be quieter with the front panel in place.

But with the front panel off, you essentially get the same airflow (if not better) than the Meshify.

The meshify has a front mesh, with a foam behind it (so 2 layers that block airflow) that traps the dust, and is a PITA to clean. I have a portable AC with a foam dust filter - they are miserable to clean.

With the front panel off, Define C, just has one layer that impedes air: A very easy to clean removable dust filter.

Even if I am going to use it as an airflow case, I consider the Define C, superior to the Meshify.

Edit: Pics added. Define C with front panel off, has slightly better cooling than Meshify, but neither is very good at GPU cooling:

meshify-only-torture-cpu.png

gpu-only-2x-meshify.png

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I ended up with an XPG Invader.

Reasons:

It was on sale for cheap.

Front panel has decent open gaps on each side. Should flow decent air with panel in place.

The front panel is VERY easy(magnets) to remove/replace, to improve air flow if I need it while gaming or number crunching on hot summer days.

Filter seems well designed and uses magnet as well for easy remove/replace.

No build yet. Taking my time deciding on components...

productGallery173.png

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The side Vent looks more like badly placed gimmick to me, since whatever you want to do with it will be in conflict with the nearby front intake. Even if you just ignore it, you would be blowing some of your fresh intake air out the side before it gets to any components.

But it's easy enough to block off, to remedy that downside, so it didn't stop me from purchasing it.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I ended up with an XPG Invader.

Reasons:

It was on sale for cheap.

Front panel has decent open gaps on each side. Should flow decent air with panel in place.

The front panel is VERY easy(magnets) to remove/replace, to improve air flow if I need it while gaming or number crunching on hot summer days.

Filter seems well designed and uses magnet as well for easy remove/replace.

No build yet. Taking my time deciding on components...

productGallery173.png

2+ years later. I finally built in it. It's a fairly standard design, so I will do a quick highlight of some thoughts.

Price: $70 Cdn, delivered.

Aesthetics: Mostly a plain black slab.

Thick solid, metal slab front panel (I hate busy plastic designs), with large side gaps for airflow, and easy removal (held on by magnets).

Dedicated dust filter with fine pitch but more hole than material, also held on by magnets.

Top mounted buttons, and USB are handier than front mounted on previous case.

Adequate size for anything. Enough depth for a full size PSU and HDD cage simultaneously, and 400mm long GPU with front fans installed, 170 mm tall CPU cooler.

Dislikes:

Bottom PSU filter is a fiddly cheap one that doesn't slide out. But mitigated in my build by a PSU that is fanless below about 300 watts, so I doubt I need to clean it very often.

Side vent gimmick. This really is non ideal for actually using it, and will partially sabotage front intake when not in use, letting front cool air out the side before it even reaches the motherboard. For now I put a sheet a paper behind the magnetic side filter to limit the air lost. Long term I plan to add a panel inside to smooth air over that section.

RGB lighting: There is a bottom RGB feature in the front panel. The main downside was a bunch more annoying wiring inside. I disconnected all that could be, but some was glued in and I had to cut them. :(

Lack of 5 1/4" slot for Optical. I know case support for these has dried up, but I'd still like to use one occasionally, and just keeping it built in is more hand than getting a USB case for it.

Overall: No regrets. It's a decent case, and I think the airflow potential is good with the front panel in place, and if more is needed, the front panel removes easily. I was originally looking for a case with a door to accomplish this (like a Fractal Define 7 which is more than 3X the price), but this design seems to have more air flow with the front panel in place, and with it removed the filter seems more open.