Seeking opinions: You have $500 to spend ... what is your choice for the "best" TV you can afford?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
An additional $100 and grab the 55" TCL R6. Dolby Vision/HDR10, Roku TV, local dimming (the samsung you listed has no local dimming control), higher peak brightness (840 cd/m2 vs 307 cd/m2 in HDR), wide color gamut support(the samsung doesn't support wide color gamut at all), better motion handling, judder free 24p video playback(the samsung doesn't support 24p), very low input lag for gaming (17ms at 1080p, 19ms at 4k even with HDR games which beats the samsung you listed). You get quite a lot more TV for an extra $100.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yea probably the TCL, but if you are strict about the $ you can look for last year's TCL P series vs this year's 6 series.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I'd take that $500 and bank it. Save up for a few more months until I had around $1200 and then buy a great 4K TV that is at least 55" or larger.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'd take that $500 and bank it. Save up for a few more months until I had around $1200 and then buy a great 4K TV that is at least 55" or larger.
Why? You are definitely NOT getting twice the quality. TCL makes great TVs.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Why? You are definitely NOT getting twice the quality. TCL makes great TVs.

Because I would want to? TCL have received great reviews and such. TCL is not for me though. I'll stick with Samsung and Sony myself. Having seen the TCL models in person I prefer the higher end Samsung line.

$1200 won't buy a high end Samsung though but still...I'll take a Sammy over TCL every time.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Because I would want to? TCL have received great reviews and such. TCL is not for me though. I'll stick with Samsung and Sony myself. Having seen the TCL models in person I prefer the higher end Samsung line.

$1200 won't buy a high end Samsung though but still...I'll take a Sammy over TCL every time.
You do realize most stores calibrate the more expensive tvs and not the cheaper tvs to look better so the consumer purchases the more expensive TV.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Been reading about the 4K TLCs been thinking about getting one for use as a monitor, for fun.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
You do realize most stores calibrate the more expensive tvs and not the cheaper tvs to look better so the consumer purchases the more expensive TV.

My sister owns a 4k TCL and I own multiple Samsungs, & Sony's. I have watched many movies on her TV and I think mine has a better picture and nicer styling.

For the record I never put the TCL brand down. I have read many great reviews on that brand. I prefer Samsung personally but that's just me. I really don't care if you prefer TCL. Cool dude.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My sister owns a 4k TCL and I own multiple Samsungs, & Sony's. I have watched many movies on her TV and I think mine has a better picture and nicer styling.

Sure, my Sony 930e is better than my TCL P605, but I'd expect it to be given the exorbitant difference in price. @dud seems to be looking for more of a budget option, and I think the newer TCL 6-series, if he's willing to go to $600, is a great option for that.

If you do want the P615/P617, I'm guessing that the differences are similar to the P605 and P607 from last year. Best Buy sells the 605/615, and unlike the 607/617 that Amazon sells, the 605/615 has an IR remote instead of a WiFi remote with personal listening. The 607/617 costs $50 more though, and the TV itself isn't any different.

Oh, and I checked Rtings review on the P617, and dang... the brightness is so much better. When going from my Sony to last year's TCL (P605), it was very easy to see how much dimmer the TCL was, but the P615/P617 is considerably brighter.

Last edited:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Sure, my Sony 930e is better than my TCL P605, but I'd expect it to be given the exorbitant difference in price. @dud seems to be looking for more of a budget option, and I think the newer TCL 6-series, if he's willing to go to $600, is a great option for that.

If you do want the P615/P617, I'm guessing that the differences are similar to the P605 and P607 from last year. Best Buy sells the 605/615, and unlike the 607/617 that Amazon sells, the 605/615 has an IR remote instead of a WiFi remote with personal listening. The 607/617 costs $50 more though, and the TV itself isn't any different.

Oh, and I checked Rtings review on the P617, and dang... the brightness is so much better. When going from my Sony to last year's TCL (P605), it was very easy to see how much dimmer the TCL was, but the P615/P617 is considerably brighter.

I agree with you for sure. In fact when my sister needed a new TV I was the one to tell her to buy the TCL. She comes to me for all of her electronic needs. The difference between me and my sister is I make great money and she doesn't. So she had a limited budget.

The OP asked us what we would do if we had $500 to spend on a TV. My answer was save up more because that is what I would do but for himself, well if he cannot go higher than $500 then the older TCL is a great option.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I agree with you for sure. In fact when my sister needed a new TV I was the one to tell her to buy the TCL. She comes to me for all of her electronic needs. The difference between me and my sister is I make great money and she doesn't. So she had a limited budget.

The OP asked us what we would do if we had $500 to spend on a TV. My answer was save up more because that is what I would do but for himself, well if he cannot go higher than $500 then the older TCL is a great option.

It's like you're being intentionally obtuse about this matter.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I don't think it's unacceptable given that @dud did seem to express that he's only considering replacing the TV and that he mentioned potential sales in the future. So, it sounds like he might be willing to wait? Although, there's no guarantee that he'd want to spend more regardless of waiting or not.

But, I'll be frank... I was pretty surprised when I read the stats on the new TCL model. Those brightness values are pretty darn good. It makes me wish that I held off and bought a P615 instead.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
An additional $100 and grab the 55" TCL R6. Dolby Vision/HDR10, Roku TV, local dimming (the samsung you listed has no local dimming control), higher peak brightness (840 cd/m2 vs 307 cd/m2 in HDR), wide color gamut support(the samsung doesn't support wide color gamut at all), better motion handling, judder free 24p video playback(the samsung doesn't support 24p), very low input lag for gaming (17ms at 1080p, 19ms at 4k even with HDR games which beats the samsung you listed). You get quite a lot more TV for an extra $100.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...d-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

Agreed. I had a 65" 4K TCL, which was really great (and I'm a PQ snob) & have setup many people with the 55" models. I'd spring for a new HDR model in a heartbeat, for sure. Plus, if you don't need a crazy audio setup, you can plug computer speakers into the minijack port for control via the Roku remote...one ring to rule them all! That way the Roku remote can turn on the TV, navigate the menu, and control the speaker volume. I have a Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia set on my living room TV & it's quite the upgrade over the TV's speakers, but is simple & convenient enough that my family only has to use a single remote control for everything.

I'd love to do the 75" HDR Roku model at some point, but my living room is too small to accommodate that size...65" is the max I can go without it being ridiculous (not in a good way).

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016

" What the redacted did you call me?!" -movie quote

hahaha Thank you for the name calling. OP asks us what "WE" would do. I answer and then proceed to get stomped on by anyone that owns a TCL TV. I guess my 3 Samsung TV's and 1 Sony should be tossed because they can't compare to TCL. lol right.

The movie quote with abbreviated
profanity is not needed in this thread, or
allowed in the technical forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
" What the F*** did you call me?!" -movie quote

hahaha Thank you for the name calling. OP asks us what "WE" would do. I answer and then proceed to get stomped on by anyone that owns a TCL TV. I guess my 3 Samsung TV's and 1 Sony should be tossed because they can't compare to TCL. lol right.

I didn't do any name-calling, and my TV is the same Sony X930E that Aikouka has.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Play nice, keep to the topic of discussion,
or there will be consequences if it continues
down its current path.

AT Mod Usandthem

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I could have said “save up for a year and buy a 65” OLED because it’s what I own. However the budget was listed as $500 and I don’t know the usage. This could be someone who doesn’t watch much TV and just needs a new one right away. While I agree with saving more and buying a better set, perhaps the OP doesn’t want to spend $2000 on a tv that barely gets used?