Seeking opinions on appropriate hardware for audio/video editing

Mycroft

Nov 29, 2001
Hi all,

I work for a nonprofit, primarily working on managing our online presence, using a variety of Adobe products like Photoshop and Dreamweaver on a low-end Dell workstation. I'd love to start offering some multimedia in an effort to provide more engaging content to our audience and potential donors. I'd like to get the appropriate equipment so that I can learn to do this myself, rather than do what we usually do, which is sending it out to freelancers. While initially I’ll be only doing basic things (e.g. editing out unwanted parts, adding subtitles, raising volume, etc.), I'll likely get into more advanced features in time.

Would you folks suggest a Mac or PC? Understood that most pros use a Mac with industry-standard software, but that's likely more expensive than getting a PC with software that isn't so industry-standard. Understood that this is the hardware forum, so I won't ask for thoughts on software. Hardware advice alone will be plenty for now!

Thoughts?

P.S. This is not actually the first time I'm posting here. Lost my pswd and old email address associated with my AT forum account a few years back...

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
For your uses a Mac is going to run you a massive premium, especially for a nonprofit. Just build your own value machine.

Athlon II x4 $100
4GB value ram $80
780G or 880G chipset (integrated graphics would be all you need) $90
earthwatts 380w PSU $45
optical drive $20

Then just pick a fairly cheap case and some HDD dependent on how much space you need (WD Black/Green/Blue or Spinpoint F3s are good choices) and you should keep it under $450, though if you need Win7 or more software thats going to jump up quite a bit.

Mycroft

Nov 29, 2001
Hi darkewaffle,

I have actually built my own comps for personal use, but I hesitate to do so for my company. If they see me do it once, I might end up being the unofficial IT guy... :)

Would you recommend a prebuilt Dell/HP/other system over a Mac?

Note that I would need to purchase all the software.

Even though we're a nonprofit, we're not on a bare-minimum budget. If we're going to get into audio/video, we want to do it right...

thanks.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
So you're not the "no-budget" type of non-profit, eh? In that case, I'd treat this as a normal business PC (i.e. no custom builds).

Do you have some sort hard figure for your budget? If it's in a reasonable range (1.5k-2k), I'd suggest a Dell Precision T3500. You'll get real Xeon processors, plus a 3-year next business day onsite warranty. I was able to put one together online with a W3530 and 12GB of RAM for $1900, though your Dell rep should obviously be able to give you a better deal. (If you don't have a rep, get one!)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Budget is the big thing, how much can you afford ?
I'm not an apple fan due to their pricing and closed nature.

If the budget allows nobody beats Boxx for workstations targeting video. Their systems work 24/7 without fail. If something does break and they can't fix it they overnight a new part or will you send you a new system with all the applications already installed. Their support is also top notch after the sale, which is getting more and more rare. When you call support you don't get some guy in India, you get people who have actually used the product and are not reading a script.
http://boxxtech.com/

I know you wanted to start with hardware but if the budget allows move away from adobe for video. It isn't what the industry is using now and most studios are just waiting for contracts to run out on their current licenses. Adobe is being relegated to college level stuff but not professional film anymore.
The software that has taken its place is called nuke.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/
comparing Nuke to adobe products for video is like comparing photoshop to MSPaint. The speed that you can do things and the workflow just blows everything else away. The down side is the cost. About $5K. Still they offer free trials and you can get educational and nonprofit licenses that are much cheaper.

They also have a free learning version that has all the same features except it watermarks the output.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/ple/
Nuke runs on Win,Mac and Linux and one license can be used on each, just not at the same time so you are not locked into one system. You can own a win and mac and use it daily in either with one license.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
If the budget allows nobody beats Boxx for workstations targeting video. Their systems work 24/7 without fail. If something does break and they can't fix it they overnight a new part or will you send you a new system with all the applications already installed. Their support is also top notch after the sale, which is getting more and more rare. When you call support you don't get some guy in India, you get people who have actually used the product and are not reading a script.
http://boxxtech.com/

Agreed

I know you wanted to start with hardware but if the budget allows move away from adobe for video. It isn't what the industry is using now and most studios are just waiting for contracts to run out on their current licenses. Adobe is being relegated to college level stuff but not professional film anymore.
The software that has taken its place is called nuke.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/
comparing Nuke to adobe products for video is like comparing photoshop to MSPaint. The speed that you can do things and the workflow just blows everything else away. The down side is the cost. About $5K. Still they offer free trials and you can get educational and nonprofit licenses that are much cheaper.

hmm, interesting. I've never heard of Nuke...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
hmm, interesting. I've never heard of Nuke...

Most people haven't heard of it. The reason is because Nuke was created internally by their studios own software engineers for just their studios use. Once more people started asking how a certain effect was done and the studio started explaining about the custom software they were using then more studios wanted it so Nuke was born.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Most people haven't heard of it. The reason is because Nuke was created internally by their studios own software engineers for just their studios use. Once more people started asking how a certain effect was done and the studio started explaining about the custom software they were using then more studios wanted it so Nuke was born.

Oh, it's not an editor, it's a compositor! More for special effects and such. Is the OP looking for something like AE?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Oh, it's not an editor, it's a compositor! More for special effects and such. Is the OP looking for something like AE?

Its both . Calling it just a compositor or AE alternative doesn't really fit since it has the features of both premiere and AE in one application.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Its both . Calling it just a compositor or AE alternative doesn't really fit since it has the features of both premiere and AE in one application.

That's neat, but it's a very expensive toy none the less... If he just needs to make simple edits it won't likely be worth it. No matter how feature rich it is, it's all about what he'll use. Now I have something new to drool over though....

Mycroft

Nov 29, 2001
No, we're not a no-budget kind of nonprofit. Mind you, we're still careful about spending money and cut costs in many areas, but this is one of those things we feel like we need to put something in to get anything decent out. I'd say for hardware, $2k is about the max, though we could go a bit over there's a convincing argument (e.g. X machine for $2500 is way quicker than a $2000 machine). Can spend another $2-$3k on software, but that number includes cost for various Adobe products (e.g. Photoshop), Office, etc.

The Dell Precision T3500 looks interesting. Will take a close look at Boxx also.

Question: I'm going to assume that any of these hardware options that are appropriate for video editing will automatically be fine for audio editing. Correct?

As for software, I did kind of have my eye on the Adobe Master Collection, which would include Premiere, After Effects & Soundbooth. I'd have to get Adobe Web Premium anyway for stuff like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Nuke may well be amazing, but $5k on top of hardware costs is beyond our budget. Unless nonprofits get steep price cuts. I agree with Davidh373: it's likely beyond our needs too. I'd say we'll be doing simple edits to start, but will certainly move on into at least intermediate editing. Likely we won't get so advanced that we need more functionality than what Adobe/Final Cut offer.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
Question: I'm going to assume that any of these hardware options that are appropriate for video editing will automatically be fine for audio editing. Correct?

They are set for video, but to get any accuracy in your Audio you'll want to consider an external DAC, which is as far as I know, I do not know enough to recommend anything.

As for software, I did kind of have my eye on the Adobe Master Collection, which would include Premiere, After Effects & Soundbooth. I'd have to get Adobe Web Premium anyway for stuff like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

Web design too huh? If you don't need dreamweaver, the Production Premium has everything you need from Adobe (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Encore, and if you need it soundbooth and Illustrator for $1700). For sound I would recommend Acid Pro 7 ($300) and Reason ($300)

As for the MC, you're looking at $2600, and you're looking at $300 for dreamweaver separately.

Adobe CS5 PP - $1700

Adobe DW - $400

Acid Pro - $300

Reason - $300

Total: $2700

Adobe CS5 MC-$2700

Acid Pro - $300

Reason - $300

Total: $3300

No brainer to me as long as you don't need In Design or Fireworks (which you shouldn't...) it'll save the organization $600, which could either be allocated to other software like Office or whatnot if needed, or you could put more into hardware.

Mycroft

Nov 29, 2001
As for the MC, you're looking at $2600, and you're looking at $300 for dreamweaver separately.

Well actually, I can get the master collection for like $1,200 as a nonprofit via a not-so-well advertised nonprofit program that Adobe offers. That said, I can still split things up so that I get some adobe products for web design and video, then Acid/Reason for sound--that is, if folks here think that Acid/Reason are superior to Soundbooth. I'm not wedded to Adobe, was just tempted to spend $1,200 for MC and have "everything."

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
that is, if folks here think that Acid/Reason are superior to Soundbooth.

In terms of professional audio, Soundbooth is a joke. As for alternatives to Acid, you are pretty much limited on PC to Protools, not that either software is limited, but as far as professional windows apps those two are Kings. The same knowledge gained in Acid and Protools transfer to Logic, but that is an alternative you would have to buy a Mac, or illegally install OS X Hackintosh to have as an option (note, no endorsement for illegal action is intended). As for Reason, I've only used it a little bit, but it successfully replaces thousands of dollar's worth of hardware equipment with a $300 app, so it is a very valuable asset.

Mycroft

Nov 29, 2001
Cool, thanks for your tips, and those of everyone else that contributed to this discussion.

In terms of professional audio, Soundbooth is a joke. As for alternatives to Acid, you are pretty much limited on PC to Protools, not that either software is limited, but as far as professional windows apps those two are Kings. The same knowledge gained in Acid and Protools transfer to Logic, but that is an alternative you would have to buy a Mac, or illegally install OS X Hackintosh to have as an option (note, no endorsement for illegal action is intended). As for Reason, I've only used it a little bit, but it successfully replaces thousands of dollar's worth of hardware equipment with a $300 app, so it is a very valuable asset.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I figured nuke was out of range. Its always hard to recommend without knowing budget and exactly what kind of work will be done.

I was looking for something lower cost and not having looked too much at the sub professional applications a friend recommended sony vegas. I had heard of it but never paid much attention but I have to say it is pretty impressive in price and features. I downloaded the trial last night and for the price , around $500 retail it is very good.

Might want to download the trial
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I'm not wedded to Adobe, was just tempted to spend $1,200 for MC and have "everything."

And you will get everything. I have the MC of CS5 and it wouldn't be bad if it was just the applications, but I swear adobe is trying to win the Guinness record for bundled applications. To make it worse when you go to unselect some of them it lets you, but then errors out during install because the installer lets you disable required parts , but doesn't tell you they are required in the setup. I spent hours on the phone with support trying to figure out why it wasn't completing setup. Until I just gave up , selected everything and it completed. Now the only application I have installed are photoshop and illustrator. I could have saved a bundle.

Davidh373

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2009
I'll look at Sony Vegas. Adobe MC is still tempting, but I'm not against looking at other options. Several people have suggested Vegas to me.

To Address Modelwork's post. It is true, but why would you need InDesign, and Fireworks If 1, Powerpoint and or Word make perfectly presentable PDF documents, and 2, Photoshop and Illustrator are both 10x better than Fireworks?

I mean, you could probably still get a discounted rate on the Production Premium, and save even more money. You may also want to look into discounts on Acid and Reason. I'm sure they're around.