Seeing other computers through network

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I am having trouble viewing other computers through a network on my desktop. It is able to see the printers that are connected wireless just fine but can't see other computers that are turned on, can see it self. The desktop is hardwired to modem/router. I have file sharing and network discovery turned on. All are part of same workgroup and running windows 10.

Have a laptop that is able to see all the computers and access them just fine, sometimes have to refresh it once or twice. Laptop is connected wireless to same network as desktop.

Why is the desktop not able to see any other computers?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Probably a configuration issue somewhere on the desktop. Can you access everything from the desktop if you use direct ip addresses?

Do you mean trying to ping them through command prompt? If yes, the desktop is able to ping the laptop

memory

Oct 3, 2010

I have both the function discovery provider host and function discovery resource service set to automatic(delayed start) and made no difference. I enabled SMB in the turn windows features on or off page and now I am able to see the other computers but can't access all of them. I can access a laptop fine, when I try to access a 2nd desktop, the one I am mainly trying to get access to, it says windows can't access it, check spelling of name or might be a problem with network.

I will have to check the other computers to see if smb is enabled on them or not.

Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
If both function services are set to run automatic(delayed start), does the smb client need to be turned off?

All 3 computers have SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support enabled in windows features. The 2 desktops have the smb client enabled but the laptop doesn't. All 3 also have both functions set to auto(delayed start)

My main goal is to be able to access desktop b through desktop a and the laptop. I am able to through the laptop but not desktop a. But desktop b is not able to access desktop a but can access the laptop.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
So if you normally are using \\computer_name\share_name to access a share, you would use this instead: \\computer_IP\share_name.

If it works with the IP address, then it is only a name resolution issue vs a protocol issue.

Where would I enter that? Usually I go to the network page in file explorer and open up the computer I want to access and it shows any shared folders there.

EDIT: Now I am getting really confused. So desktop A is connected to a 2nd router, which is in a separate building. The 2nd router is hardwired to first modem/router. Now the modem/router is the one that the ISP provided, a sagemcom fast 5260. I was trying to access the 2nd router to look at the settings when I realized both routers have the same login ip address. The 2nd router is a linksys wrt3200, it doesn't say what the login is on the router itself but after a google search, it's default login is the same as the modem/router. I don't recall ever changing it. So if they both have the same login address, how would I go about accessing the 2nd router? Can I change the default login on the modem/router?

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but if it is, why is the laptop, which is connected wireless to first modem/router,. able to access desktop A with no issues?

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
So if you enable the address bar in file explorer, you will see where to enter in the ip address versus the computer name.

But this problem looks a lot more complicated now. I need a network diagram showing exactly how everything is hooked up as I think you've got some routing issues going on. Also, has this setup ever worked the way you want or has it only recently started having problems?

memory

Oct 3, 2010
So if you enable the address bar in file explorer, you will see where to enter in the ip address versus the computer name.

But this problem looks a lot more complicated now. I need a network diagram showing exactly how everything is hooked up as I think you've got some routing issues going on. Also, has this setup ever worked the way you want or has it only recently started having problems?

What is the best way to show you a diagram? Desktop B is hardwired to modem/router, laptop is connected through wifi to modem/router. 2nd router is connected to modem/router, LAN to WAN. Desktop A is hardwired to 2nd router.

But I did figure something out. I took the 2nd router out of the equation. I hooked desktop A directly to modem/router. Desktop B still can't access A. So there is another issue going on with desktop B since the laptop can access A just fine and A can access B.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
So now that everything is on the same network, let's try accessing all the systems by their IP address as I described previously.

Are you wanting me to enter the ip addresses on this page?

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_3_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_3_LI.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 5

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Exactly. Where is says 'Network' you should be able to click on that and specify the IP and share of the computers like this:
\\computername\sharename

Check each computer to each of the others this way and let me know what happens.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Exactly. Where is says 'Network' you should be able to click on that and specify the IP and share of the computers like this:
\\computername\sharename

Check each computer to each of the others this way and let me know what happens.

Ok I did that. Still in the same boat. Desktop B can't access desktop A using both name and ip address. The other computers can access each other fine using both name and ip address. When I try ip address, it opens up a web page that is not able to open

I am thinking it is either an issue on desktop B or maybe A, since I can access laptop with B. But if it is an issue with A, then why can laptop access A?

Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Well I have figured this out I think. What I did was create a new admin user account on desktop A, now B can access A with password protected sharing on.

On the original admin user account, I don't recall what I used for the password when installing windows, may have also been a pin. Short of reinstalling windows or creating a new account, is there a way to find out what that password or pin is for the first account? This was something that I done, just been a while and guess I didn't make a note of it, normally I do when I create a password.

So now will check all the other computers again and hook the 2nd router back up and see if I still can access everything.

EDIT: with the 2nd router hooked up and desktop A connected to that router, the other computers are not able to see it. Desktop A can see the others but nothing can see A now. Desktop A is able to access the other computers.

If I connect the two routers together by LAN to WAN, internet works on A but can't see other computers. If I connect the routers LAN to LAN, I can see other computers but no internet on A.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
May be you should learn what a Router is, then you would understand why it does work as you wish.

Hint: Router simple name could be "Separator".

As an example the Router separate your Home network from being straight on the Internet.

Similarly it segments/Separate parts of a LAN if it used inside.

Separation means No conventional Sharing.

:cool: