Securely route traffic through seperate networks

debremus

Oct 30, 2014
I have been searching for hours on the best way to do this, but I am coming up empty. My network is a little annoyingly complicated, so i will do my best to explain.

My company has its own subnet. The network is connected to a sister company through a fiber optic connection, which is encrypted by SonicWall firewalls. The sister company provides internet access through their network. Unfortunately, the IT guy who works at the sister company is not very cooperative and doesn't like to share his setup on his end. I assume that he has setup the SonicWall on our end to act as a DHCP server, as my clients are getting IPs automatically to an IP range that he setup. I assume that there is a VLAN setup to interface with his network at the sister company, as they are on a seperate subnet. There is a single server on their subnet that my company needs to access that contains confidential information.

Unfortunately, the internet provider that the sister company uses has a serious issue with, or intentionally throttles, video streaming websites. We need them for training videos and whatnot. Videos will start to buffer and then freeze. Sometimes they complete after refreshing multiple times, sometimes not. Anyway, that's beside the point.

Our parent company has an internet provider we can use. They are on a completely seperate network and subnet. The wiring is present in our server room to be able to easily access it, though.

The main issue is, I want to be able to provide the parent companies WAN traffic to my companies network, but also have access to the confidential server on the sister companies server. We can not allow the parent company any access to the confidential information, but anyone on our subnet is allowed.

So to summarize:

Network A does not have its own internet.
Network B has its own internet connection, can't be allowed access to Network C
Network C has its own internet connection and the server that Network A needs access to.

I want Network A to use the internet from Network B and only access to the one needed server on Network C.

It's late, so my apologies if this description is confusing.

I have access to two switches, one of which can do VLANs (HP Proliant 48G-1910 I believe, I'm not at work at the moment)

My initial thoughts are to assign the sister companies network with the confidential information by VLAN to an IP address on our subnet, assign the parent company with internet provider I want by VLAN to an IP address on our subnet, and then somehow ( I havent never messed with firewall policy in his fashion) block parents company IP from access to sister company IP. But then how do I choose which WAN access I am being provided?

Thanks in advance to anyone still reading and for your responses. I am at a loss to figure this one out.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
VLANs. allow everything local on your network access to the parent network so that they can get WAN access (will need to setup the gatewaying properly for that and might need to route across the subnets). Then just set it up so that the port going out to the parent company WAN does not have permissions on the port/VLAN group that goes to the sister company for the confidential information.

You'll want/need both switches to have VLAN support.