Question secure erase new SSD

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If you have Windows installed on the new SSD, why do you want it secure erased?

That something a person tends to do when they are selling it to someone, or getting rid of it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Then you would install Windows to your new SSD, and after you are done with that, you can hook the old SSD back up (inside the PC, or a USB to SATA cable), and then secure erase it. Many SSD manufacturer's utilities offer that sort of thing as part of the program, and I'm pretty sure there are other smaller programs out there that can do the same thing.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Then you would install Windows to your new SSD, and after you are done with that, you can hook the old SSD back up (inside the PC, or a USB to SATA cable), and then secure erase it. Many SSD manufacturer's utilities offer that sort of thing as part of the program, and I'm pretty sure there are other smaller programs out there that can do the same thing.
actually i need to give it to amazon back for refund so i need to erase it without new ssd as it will come later

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
The last couple motherboards I have had, have a secure erase feature in the bios. If yours does it's a simple operation. Unplug any drives you don't want erased for safety.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Linux boot disc/USB with the secure erase command, such as Parted Magic.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
Do you really trust the SecureErase is going to prevent anyone from getting information off the drive. From a few duckduckgo searchs that is a question mark.

Also don't forget the easy answer, boot into live CD, then go to terminal emulator, and use DD, or if necessary sudo DD if=/dev/urand of=dev/your_device and let it do its thing.

It took me about 9 min to clear an msata 120gb drive, also you can use DD to clone your drive. Yes it might add a little wear to the drive, but if your going to get rid of it anyway not a big deal.

R81Z3N1

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Do a google search for Kingston SSD Manager. Actually all I searched for was Kingston SSD utilities on Bing.

Shocking you didn't try that.