secrets from your job

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
well this is from my brother's company. I can't give away my own secrets.

they lock up the extra snacks and what not. It used to be unlocked but some greedy people ended up talking the whole boxes. Once its gone for the day it doesn't get replenished until morning.

the key to the cabinet is hidden under the sink. open cabinet under sink, reach up and under and you'll find the key.

creedog

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
The person who tells you how long your pizza delivery will take actually has no idea. They just pull a number out of thin air, or else they say the same thing to everybody day in and day out. The only reason they quote a time is to make you feel better.

The delivery driver probably has no idea what the order taker said the delivery time would be.

If you ask for a "rush" on your delivery order, and the order taker says "yeah, OK, we'll rush that for you," you still get the same service as everybody else, except you also get laughed at after you hang up the phone.

If the delivery driver asks you for your coupon, you didn't tip well enough.

If you can't produce above mentioned coupon and you get charged regular price, the driver keeps the difference as a tip anyway.

A good delivery driver keeps a few extra coupons on him, to cash in at the end of his/her shift. If asked, you say that someone forgot to mention on the phone that they had a coupon, and you pocket the difference.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
no longer work at fry's electronics but for now here's a few...

1. if the badge says _______(department title) Sales or _______ (department title) Sales Associate, all they do is sell the highest commission items. if you actually want some help, go to someone with a badge that says _______ (department title) Accessory Sales. they don't work on commission and in my department (Electronic Components) half the Accessory Sales people knew more than all the Sales people.
2. (most) supervisors didn't get to where they are by kissing ass. they know their stuff.
3. the people at Returns are from different departments and it's written on their badge (so it says Electronic Components Customer Assistant or A/V Customer Assistant, etc.) and know a thing or two about the products in their department. meaning don't put an 80gb hard drive in a box for a 150gb raptor and go to an Electronic Components Customer Assistant and not expect them to know what you're trying to do...
4. the Electronics Cage is where the cashier goes to to get your CPU/RAM/etc. the person that gives the cashier the product is generally a new employee. make sure you got the right product BEFORE you leave the cashier.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
Originally posted by: MotionMan
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: beguile
Here's a tip for you guys that valet your car and care-

tip the valet when you drop off your car. tip the valet when you pick up your car, BEFORE he goes and runs off to get it.

You mean tip the valet twice before and when you pick up your car? Here's a person tip from me, if something happened to you car when you drop it off for valet, speak with the manager in charge and get the shady kid fired.

You need to go back to college and retake your english course again. Clearly, you demonstrate your inability to write proper english.

actually i just don't give a shit. this is fucking ATOT, you want me to type my posts in MLA format or something?

You can talk to the manager if you want, but w/o proof they're not going to be able to do anything. Not to mention, do you WANT to deal with that hassle? Sure you'll get your car repaired, after 2 weeks of BS and a few days w/o your car.

I'm telling it like it is, you can sit there and pick at my english or you can take the post for what it's worth.

I would say 75% of all cars handled by valet's are handled problem free. 25% are dinged, mainly door dings. You valet ticket pays us to do the bare minimum, which is park your car in a stall. ANY stall. a dollar or two at the beginning might net your brand new 911 turbo parked across 3 stalls in the back corner of the lot instead of between a pair of ford excursions tucked in compact stalls.

A few bucks before you pick up your car might mean a 2 minute wait vs a 30 minute wait.

People with such attitudes about tipping piss me off. Tipping is supposed to be out of politeness. If you don't tip, you are an asshole, but there's no reason to be screaming TIP ME if you are someone who works in a job that gets tipped. It's almost like working on hourly pay. If you're anything decent you would be on salary... and not on a tip basis.

Like I said, I agree that it's a douchebag attitude. As a valet, you never know who's gonna be a good tipper and who's not: that guy in a 96 camry could be a better tipper than the brand new jaguar (and usually is, HAHA). It's prejudice, no doubt.

The point I am trying to make is, valets do not know how to differentiate between good tippers (to which they provide SUPERB) service to, and bad tippers (to which they provide BARE MINIMUM) service to.

it makes absolutely no sense on the consumer end to tip after the fact IF you want guaranteed good service. I see your point, that tips are meant to reward exceptional service. However, to highly increase your chances of getting exceptional service, it makes more sense to tip before, rather than after.

Valets are not entitled to tips. They GET tips for exceptional service (which EVERY customer IS entitled to, BTW). If they want a tip, then they better give EVERYONE exceptional service. If their service falls below exceptional, then they get (and deserve) a smaller, or no, tip. Sometimes they get screwed by cheap tippers, but that's life.

The sense of entitlement by people in the service industries is amazing.

(BTW, I worked in many tip-based professions in my life.)

MotionMan

That's a nice fantasy world you live in.

Here is a real world example for you, so I can clarify my position.

10 cars to pull, 3 valets. Assume that all valet's offer "exceptional service". They run and get cars in order, you tip them afterwards for "exceptional service". If you were the 10th car, and tipped afterwards for said "exceptional service", you would receive your car in say 7 minutes. Alternatively, you could've tipped the guy at the beginning, received same "exceptional service", and gotten your car in 2 minutes vs. 7 minutes.

This situation is an ideal small rush scenario. If you are at a busy, BUSY location, valet wait times can be up to 30 minutes. I am TELLING YOU how you can bypass a 30 minute wait.

you need a good smack because you just aren't getting it.

lol fine. you go do your own thing. when i valet my car, i'll do my thing.

Mahaguru

Jul 20, 2007
- Rolls Royce will let anyone test drive their cars
- Any one can get an Enzo if they call a special number and ask for Mike.
- On Wednesday Porsches are half off in the US
- Lamborghini parts are cheaper than a Toyota
- Every Sunday Maserati gives away a free Maserati.

Just Kidding about all of that :D

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
PVC produces a poisonous/caustic gas when you burn it or cut it with a laser.
Acryllic smells like cat piss when you do the same.
It is possible to engrave stuff on a Pepperridge Farms Goldfish cracker.
The American Flag can give you epileptic seizures.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Engraver
PVC produces a poisonous/caustic gas when you burn it or cut it with a laser.
Acryllic smells like cat piss when you do the same.
It is possible to engrave stuff on a Pepperridge Farms Goldfish cracker.
The American Flag can give you epileptic seizures.

PVC gives off hydrogen chloride gas, or hydrochloric acid, the same stuff in your stomach.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
My company has a website listing all of the ip addresses of every one of our clients.

Those clients have VNC and RDP with a standard easy to figure out password and username.

If you can get in, you can get hundreds of thousands of social security numbers with a few clicks.

The worst part is, if someone did get in, they could probably open some credit cards with the socials they stole and the victim would never even know where the perp got their info.

Pretty scary.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I've seen thousands of naked people over the years, most people should never take their clothes off.

what job is that? Nudist camp towel boy? :lips:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat

PVC gives off hydrogen chloride gas, or hydrochloric acid, the same stuff in your stomach.

That depends on the rate it's heated. A CO2 laser causes immediate ablation and will release noxious fumes.

Cellcast acrylic does smell bad when it's cut/ablated in that manner. Oak smells like dogshit when sawed! :Q

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
My company has a website listing all of the ip addresses of every one of our clients.

Those clients have VNC and RDP with a standard easy to figure out password and username.

If you can get in, you can get hundreds of thousands of social security numbers with a few clicks.

The worst part is, if someone did get in, they could probably open some credit cards with the socials they stole and the victim would never even know where the perp got their info.

Pretty scary.

Well I better post mine now so I can expect it. 435-47-8113

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: rpanic
When I worked at Verizon This Black retarded guy got caught giving head to this Black guy that was his manager. We found out about it and I gave the guy the nickname Chocolate Milk Man, they never found out it was me that started the nickname.

90% of the time you send in a note with any bill they toss it in the trash. Best to call businesses to tell them you are moving don?t write it on payment stub or with note.

lol at chocolate milk man.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: iRONic
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: yobarman
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: iRONic
I've worked as a licensed aircraft maintenance technician on commercial and private aircraft for twenty plus years. Heavies to helos...

You do not want to hear any of those trade secrets.

Trust me.
</blockquote>

Is duct tape a staple of your tool box ?</blockquote>

Yes, I will cop to that. I buy it by the case.

id love to see an ep of junkyard wars where the only tool they have at hand is rolls of duct tape. i guarantee they will build something just as effective as if they had other tools.

duct tape is amazing.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: Corbett

Pretty scary.

Well I better post mine now so I can expect it. 435-47-8113

you can just skip the formalities and just post your CC and exp date.

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Mo0o
The academically prefered way to kill and adult mice is to knock it out with CO2 then proceed with cervical dislocation by pulling on the head and the tail.

baby mice under 2 weeks old? Decapitation

I can confirm.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
-The treatment for gonorrhea/chlamydia is painful to begin with at least when treated in an ER. If you happen to have one of these two STDs and treat the nurses/doctors like sh!t the treatment will be more painful. One of the medications you get is an intramuscular injection called ceftriaxone. It's extremely painful so we normally dilute the medication with lidocaine to numb the muscle. Well when you treat us like crap, we suddenly 'can't find' any lidocaine and inject you undiluted.

A nurse told me once that she used to have a few regulars who'd come in with some STD. The cure was two shots...pretty big needles apparently. She'd pull out the syringes, have the guy hold one in each hand to "warm them up", and then leave the room and let them sit there with their pants down staring at the needles for half an hour.

At my old IT job, they for some reason didn't issue me the keys to the server racks, or the security cables that were locking down all the new computers. I used the toothpick on my swiss army knife whenever I needed to open one of those locks. Pathetically easy.

Originally posted by: Schadenfreude
Too bad that comes up if you've ever reported a claim and we check the milege listed on the car. :roll:

I still don't understand how they're supposed to find out..I'm not exactly calling my insurance company every week to give them a mileage update. They have no clue how many miles are on my car. And it's not like getting into an accident at a particular distance from your house is at all conclusive...plenty of people run errands.