Question Second RX GPU up and died. What's going on here? Primary PCI-E slot died!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was on an Azza case, Antec 620C ECO PSU, ASRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard, with a Sapphire RX 460 Nitro 4GB card, that up and totally died. (Not detected in Device Manager at all.)

I've since replaced video cards, and I've got a new Rosewill Magnetar case, Gigabyte AX370-Gaming ATX mobo (mfg refurb), and a brand-new EVGA G1+ 80Plus Gold 650W PSU, along with a couple of MSI 8GB RX 570 cards, primary card is
(was?) Gaming X, secondary was Armor MK2.

I tried to wake my PC from monitor sleep, but no go, so I force powered-off, rebooted, still no go. Tried a different HDMI port, in case my monitor port burned out. Still no go.

Plugged the HDMI into the secondary card, and finally got a display, but only one RX 570 card is in Wattman, and Device Manager. When I took the PC apart, the top card wasn't even warm.

DEAD? So suddenly? It's less than two years old. Granted, it was mining for most of that time (in a G4560 rig).

Just bad timing?

Edit: I've got a few more things to try, to find out if it's the PCI-E power leads, or slot, that died. Need to swap power leads, and then card slots.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...Sapphire RX 460 Nitro 4GB card, that up and totally died. (Not detected in Device Manager at all.)

...DEAD? So suddenly? It's less than two years old. Granted, it was mining for most of that time (in a G4560 rig).

Yes, such a mystery... :rolleyes:

FWIW those RX 400 NITRO cards were kind of garbage to begin with, let alone being mined with continuously.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah, despite what a lot of pro-miner people like to say, mining 24/7 for extended periods of time is not what these cards were designed for and can greatly reduce the cards life span.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sapphire is one of the better brands, but for whatever reason those first gen Polaris NITRO branded ones were lousy. I had one RX 480 NITRO+ card that was DOA and another used only lightly for gaming. That one lasted two weeks and then I returned the second one and bought the MSI Frozr model instead; noticed that package as a whole was of much better quality and I never had issues.

The R9 series NITRO cards were heaps better, ironically.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Really? I always thought from the marketing, that they were Sapphire's cream-of-the-crop cards, with Sapphire being one of the better AMD ODMs.

While I hate car analogies, it could be compared to say something like a Prius, It will be top of the line in it's performance sector, but it won't last long hauling trailers 24/7.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I did some swapping. Apparently, the GPU is OK. But my primary PCI-E slot on my AX370-Gaming mobo, probably doesn't work at this point.

I didn't see any additional power connectors for the mobo to provide extra PCI-E power for both slots. Unfortunate.

Bummer.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V5VS2367

There is the mobo specs.

Looks like the slots are PCI-E 3.0 x16 and 2.0 x4 (x16 physical). So, CPU lanes for the first slot, and chipset lanes for the second.

What are the odds, that the mobo is OK, but that I burned out my Ryzen R5 1600's CPU PCI-E lanes? (Running stock, not OC.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ao_ika_red

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Really? I always thought from the marketing, that they were Sapphire's cream-of-the-crop cards, with Sapphire being one of the better AMD ODMs.

I always thought Diamond Multimedia was cream of the crop for any Radeon Card. They were the ones that developed Fire GL that was later purchased by AMD

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I always thought Diamond Multimedia was cream of the crop for any Radeon Card. They were the ones that developed Fire GL that was later purchased by AMD

tenor.gif

Hearing some reference Diamond brought back memories. :)
But no, Diamond isn't the same company it was back in 2001. It has been bought and sold several times. Sapphire is considered the top AMD partner now.

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
Around that time is was Diamond and Creative Labs that had nice portable mp3 players; but from what I heard Apple had the money and dumped tons of money into advertising and that's how the i-Pod became king of the hill.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Around that time is was Diamond and Creative Labs that had nice portable mp3 players; but from what I heard Apple had the money and dumped tons of money into advertising and that's how the i-Pod became king of the hill.

Yeah, they tried (as well as Microsoft with the Zune, and other companies like Sony, LG, Samsung), but nobody was stopping the iPod and itunes.

I found out the hard way after Microsoft threw in the towel on the Zune. :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't know if it's possible to RMA the mobo, as I bought it refurb, but... I swapped CPUs with an R3 1200, and, it does seem to be the physical slot on the mobo that's gone bad.