Second Monitor - No signal (Solved)

BobBelcher

Jul 17, 2017
Hi All,
I have a problem getting my second monitor to work and cannot figure at why or what to do about it (I have searched but still no luck). I purchased the below pre-built computer, ACER monitor, and DisplayPort to DVI cable and when I connect the monitor it still reads “no signal”. My primary monitor (same ACER model) is connected DVI to DVI. The GPU has 2 HDMI and 2 Displayports left and the monitor has DVI and VGA. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter that I used with my old desktop, but the case is physically blocking the HDMI adapter to completely fit into the openings in the GPU (which is why I bought the DVI to Displayport adaptor).
I have looked at the GPU settings trying to get it to detect multiple screens but it has not worked. Any suggestions? I would prefer to keep my monitor since I like having two of the same monitors.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RWWWT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AmazonBasics DisplayPort to DVI Cable - 10 Feet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5AEZOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Acer G6 G276HL Gbd 27-Inch Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080), Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZYX8DQ3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master GMA2200A Desktop Gaming PC (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 24X DVD-RW & Win 10 Home), Black

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Dual display is a Windows setting. It should be available from the desktop right-click menu and from Settings. Make sure it is set to extend displays. Make sure you are telling your screen to look for the signal from the port the cable is using.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Does monitor 2 work without monitor 1? Turn PC off, disconnect monitor 1, connect monitor 2. Turn PC on. Repeat to test with both DVI to DVI and DP to DVI cables.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Make sure you are telling your screen to look for the signal from the port the cable is using.

Most common issue, I think. The monitor itself should have some built in controls or onscreen menu independent of your operating system that should allow it to select the appropriate input.

BobBelcher

Jul 17, 2017
After checking the for the "extend displays" option (which was not there (although it is now)), I started going through the tests Anonymouse suggested. While messing with the displayport cable in the back, I noticed that it too was not seated all the way in due to the case being in the way. So, I decided to take the screws that are securing the gpu to the back of the case off and see if it would drop down any, which it did! I was able to angle it enough so the displayport farthest away had clearance for the cable. Both monitors are now working!
The opening for the screws is now blocked by the gpu so I was only able to put a screw in an empty hole below the card which it is resting on. Hopefully that will not be too much stress on the GPU or motherboard with the screws out. I feel a bit dumb for not trying that earlier, but without getting right up in it, it looked like the displayport was in. Anyway, thanks for your help!