Seattle people, any advice?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I'm in Seattle this week on business. I have two whole days to myself, and two days where I have evenings (4 PM - ???) free.

I was thinking of spending the two whole days driving somewhere... perhaps to Olympic National Park, or to Mt. Rainier, unless the Cascades are better? Someone said the landscape east of Portland might be cool to check out, too, but since I'm in Washington I don't think I want to drive that far. Can anyone recommend a drive to do over a day or two? Would driving from Seattle to and through Olympic National Park be the right move for someone chasing scenery/nature? Hikes are a plus.

For my two evenings, I think I'll stroll around Seattle. I'm staying right downtown. Other than walking around the typical tourist areas, can anyone recommend any good areas to check out? Not going to be too much into the food/bar scene on this trip, but I'm open to trying a restaurant if it's really worth it - I love seafood!

Thanks!

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
You might try to catch the early morning ferry from Anacortes through the San Juan Islands to Sidney, B.C. (by noon) and spend the afternoon/evening in Victoria. Catch the morning Black Ball ferry to Port Angeles, take a drive up to Hurricane Ridge (if the road is open) and then work your way back east to recross the Sound from either Kingston or Bremerton to return to Seattle.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Mt Rainier IS the Cascades, so that will save some time if you head this way. I just came across Chinook Pass today, it was a beautiful day. Snow is still really deep so a little early for wildflowers, and many of the high trails are still snowed in. Same thing for the Olympics. Plenty of lower hikes in good condition in either area.
Depending on where you stay, a trip around Rainier and up in the park would be nice.
Weather will be a factor as well. Thursday will have more clouds and rain so not the best for good mountain visibility.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Perhaps you were thinking of the North Cascades Scenic Highway.
It is beautiful, but like Rainier and the Olympics, the high trails are still under some snow.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I'd go to Rainier. I've been to North Cascades and Olympics and it's still my favorite (and only a 2 hr drive from Seattle). Weather should clear up towards the weekend so you'll be able to get some great pictures. As other have said, higher trails are definitely snowed in still but there are lots of good lower trails.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I think Reflection Lakes on down the east side would be good. Stevens Canyon is open but the Paradise loop is still closed which is typical, so the Reflection loop up the hill would be out.