Seasonic X650 & Maximus VI Hero - Coil Whine?

eaglex2

Dec 19, 2013
Hey guys,
I recently bought a new computer based on the Asus VI Hero and the SeaSonic X-650KM3. Other parts are 4770k, g.skill 16gb 1600 and a seagate 7200.14 1TB. I am currently using the onboard gpu.
I am suffering from a coil whine since day one. Its almost always there, not load related, not too loud, but definitely high pitched and noticable with a closed door and from a few meters distance.
I contacted both Asus and Seasonic and searched google and the forums, but no one is reporting or aware of a compatibility issue.
I took it to the store where they connected it to another mb, and we didnt hear anything. Any ideas or experience on this subject? Its really driving me crazy.
Thanks a lot!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Coil whine is a relatively common issue with power supplies and you're definitely not the first to report it on the X-650. You could try to RMA the unit with Seasonic.

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Are you sure it's the PSU making the whining noise?

If you have another PSU lying around from a previous build or from another computer, you could possibly try using that one and see if the whine goes away -- confirming it's the PSU.

eaglex2

Dec 19, 2013
The noise itself is definitely coming from the PSU.
I will try to find another psu to see if there is something that is causing it to whine.