Seasonic Flagship PRIME SERIES SSR-1200PD

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Is this Power Supply enough for a i7 7700k and GTX 1070 ?

Also for future video card upgrades ?

Seasonic Rep

Apr 21, 2017
Hello,

Thank you for your interest for our PRIME 1200 Platinum.
To be honest, it's far too much power for your CPU and GPU. If you want to stay with our PRIME Series, I would suggest to go for PRIME 650 Titanium instead. Cost less, same warranty, enough power for your PC and most probably for the future upgrade and you have a better efficiency.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Hello,

Thank you for your interest for our PRIME 1200 Platinum.
To be honest, it's far too much power for your CPU and GPU. If you want to stay with our PRIME Series, I would suggest to go for PRIME 650 Titanium instead. Cost less, same warranty, enough power for your PC and most probably for the future upgrade and you have a better efficiency.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Thanks.

One question. What do you mean by better efficiency ?

Seasonic Rep

Apr 21, 2017
Hello,

PRIME 1200 PD is Platinum. The one I suggest is Titanium. Higher is the efficiency, lower is the power wasted in heat.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Thank you.
Not to mention that using a 1200W PSU for a setup that - at worst - uses 300W will place you around 20-30% load while gaming, and probably far below 10% when at the desktop/idle. PSUs have an "efficiency curve" (due to how they work) which means that they're all the most efficient around 40-60% load, with 20% and 100% load often roughly equal at a lower level. The 80+ titanium rating is the first to set a requirement for efficiency at 10% load, and will as such be more efficient at low loads such as idling or web browsing.

In general, I recommend speccing your PSU so that the maximum power-virus draw of your components add up to 80-90% of the PSUs rating. Why that high? Because you'll never see those kinds of power draws in real life, unless FurMark and OCCT are the main uses for your PC. TDPs are good to use in these cases, as they these days usually denote power throttling limits/the maximum average power draw over time of the part. As such, your 7700K + GTX 1070 rig is 91W + 150W + whatever the rest of the system uses. Let's add 10W for the motherboard, 5W for an SSD, 10W for some fans, and another 10W for an HDD. That's still less than 300. If you OC the snot out of your CPU and buy a maxed out 1070 with crazy clocks, add another 50W, maximum. In other words, even a 650W PSU is massive overkill for that build, landing you at ~40% load if everything is maxed out.

I would recommend you look at an EVGA Supernova G3 550W or something similar. You really don't need more.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I would recommend what the Seasonic rep suggested --
PRIME 1200 PD is Platinum. The one I suggest is Titanium. Higher is the efficiency, lower is the power wasted in heat.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I would recommend what the Seasonic rep suggested --
That is true, but also dependent on where on the efficiency curve you end up. Hitting the sweet spot on a Gold-rated PSU might in reality be more efficient than being way outside it on a Platinum-rated one. Of course, titanium with its requirements for efficiency at 10% load does mitigate that somewhat (although you can't suddenly make PSU efficiency equal at all loads - that would be a miracle).

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
That is true, but also dependent on where on the efficiency curve you end up. Hitting the sweet spot on a Gold-rated PSU might in reality be more efficient than being way outside it on a Platinum-rated one. Of course, titanium with its requirements for efficiency at 10% load does mitigate that somewhat (although you can't suddenly make PSU efficiency equal at all loads - that would be a miracle).

I would still get the Seasonic Titanium for the hold up time and it supports all the newest specs. Also in your calculations you forgot the RBG lighting wattage. Your welcome!

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
My entire desk doesn't pull more than 350W at the wall socket during Witcher 3, but of course anybody else please feel free to believe in magic pixie PSU oversized fairies, not my money anyway.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
The highest end mass produced laptop which will spank any 7700k and SLI/Crossfire desktop has a power brink of less than 240w. The seasonic rep gave you a important tidbit of info there on efficiency. What you really want if your building the computer yourself is a laptop power supply with a adapter at the end to go from that little tiny round tip to a standard atx motherboard header.