Question Searching for files in Windows

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just spent a couple of hours searching for a file I knew I had but didn't know where. More than anything I made the mistake of assuming my search engine would return files that had the searched string internally. IOW, for example, I figured that this file would be found if I searched on "file":

This file is somewhere on my NAS.txt

My search engine is Agent Ransack, free version.

Well, I got no hits. Eventually I found the file when I searched on the first word, "this" (in this example) ... But I wasn't at all sure what the file name was to begin with so I searched on a word that I knew would be embedded in the file name.

I can't see a way to make Agent Ransack find files whose name has a known embedded string. Is it possible to make it do that? Is there another utility that will do it? I have a personal search engine that I programmed myself that will do that but it only searches my personal data in .dbf files and their associated memo files. I might be able to write a utility that does that using Visual FoxPro 9.0, but I figure there must be an easier off-the-shelf utility that will do this. Thanks for help.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Everything - Advanced Search

OK, nice... DL'd and installed. Now, I let it launch at the end of the installation but the GUI doesn't yet make sense to me. Agent Ransack is relatively straight forward in its GUI. How do I get my head around what's going on with Everything? Within the utility itself? Tutorials (e.g. Youtube, or whatever?)? TIA...

OK, I guess the place to start is that FAQ link. I usually hate FAQs, they never seem to address the question I have.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
It's pretty straightforward... type the search term in the top line and it will pull up every file with that word in it. Sometimes it takes a bit... it has to search every drive on the system.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's pretty straightforward... type the search term in the top line and it will pull up every file with that word in it. Sometimes it takes a bit... it has to search every drive on the system.
OK, I have a use for it now. I'm searching for files whose name contain a single word. I want to search a mapped drive on my NAS. It's mapped as W. All the paths I see in Everything are for my laptop's C drive. I see no way I can ask Everything to search my mapped network drive. I see nothing in the menu system to help me, no way to point to my mapped network drive. I'm missing something. Help seems useless so far. Please, what do I have to do???

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Found the answer online, not something that's obvious:

How do I add a mapped network drive to the Everything index?
  1. In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. Click the Folders tab.
  3. Click Add....
  4. Select the mapped network drive.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Click OK.