Seagate Owners CHECK your warrenty on Seagate it may have expired.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So i was on the phone with Seagate to RMA my dead drive.

Date Purchased though authorized vendor Amazon: 7-26-2013
Warranty Period: 3 Yrs.

So I should have my warranty correct?
No.

Warranty does not start the moment the drive is sold, but the moment it leaves warehouse.

What does that mean?

If your unlucky and your sitting on an old shelf drive that got sold late, your actual warranty maybe much less then then what is listed.

I just wanted to express how #@$#@ that is...
This is the LAST Seagate drive i will ever get, lucky for me its only a 2TB.

Apparently, it was made clear, and i guess no one decided to forward me the memo..

So check your RMA status on your all your drive before you decide to keep it, and if the date is old, then return it back to vendor demanding them a newer drive with a fresher warranty.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I think whomever you talked to was wrong, they do go by receipt--at least that is what they requested the last time I had to RMA the drive to them.
If you don't have a receipt, then they go by the date it left warehouse.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Try the online process instead of being a phone weirdo. :p
http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp?form=0
http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/

Otherwise check your credit card's extended warranty coverage.

It is because it expired online i had to do it over the phone.

The person over the phone said RMA policy states its date of the drive manufacturer date and not receipt.

I think whomever you talked to was wrong, they do go by receipt--at least that is what they requested the last time I had to RMA the drive to them.
If you don't have a receipt, then they go by the date it left warehouse.

I do, it was sold and shipped by amazon. So my receipt is online.
Not a third party vendor either, but actual amazon.
I told the rep that even and the rep said drive is out of warranty and i am sol.

:\

Did a bit of googling, and it seems Seagate even made an offical announcement in regards to it. However i never knew this, because no one told me, nor was it stated on any of the descriptions on the listing ad.

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
That is pretty terrible. I personally would hesitate buying another Seagate after this experience. You could try making a stink on social media. That often causes things to suddenly work in your favor. :)

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Toshibas hard drives are 3 year warranty.

No reason to buy wd or Seagate anymore

They may say 2 but I have checked my newest ones they are 3.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Does Seagate stamp the warranty expiration date on the outside of the box? Seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen if it's not clear from the outside of the box when the warranty actually ends. What a crummy thing to do by Seagate to try and save a few bucks. It's not like hard drives are milk.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
That is pretty terrible. I personally would hesitate buying another Seagate after this experience. You could try making a stink on social media. That often causes things to suddenly work in your favor. :)

Huh, that is a pretty dumb policy, if you happen to get a HD (or whatever) that has been sitting in the warehouse for a long time, your warranty could be over before you opened the box?
Not even sure that is legal.

OP, I would also contact Amazon and let them know about this, they may be able to help you.
If all else fails, and you happened to use a CC that has a extended warranty plan, you can give that a shot as well.

In any case, won't be buying any more seagates.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
http://techreport.com/news/7733/seagate-clarifies-warranty-position

The warranty begins on the date Seagate ships the drive, as is standard practice throughout the industry; in many cases Seagate also adds additional months in warranty protection to allow for the time the product may take to work through channel supply chains before it is bought by an end user.

so yeah if ur unlucky and get one that was sitting on the shelf, well your SOL.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Seagate isn't the first manufacturer to do this. I have had to return 2 Dell monitor's over the last 3 years bought from an e-tailer and both times Dell argued the warranty started from the manufactured date on the monitor (making it out of warranty), not the date on my receipt which was months ahead of the manufactured date. Both times after some forceful arguing from me they accepted my receipt date and honoured the warranty.

It's still disgraceful behaviour though.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Translation, we get so many RMAs we need to stem the flow somewhat.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
My experience is that usually vendor will add about half year from manufacture date for warranty.

So if the warranty is 3 year, it's actually 3.5 year from the date that the HD leave the factory. Vendor just figured that all HD should be sold within half year from the manufacture date.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I had the same issue with my wd veloraptor and when I checked they showed it as out of warranty landing it in the trash can (after Mr. Hammer visited it). It's always best to check your drives serial number with the manufactures warranty service to know where you stand on them. With ssd's adata, ocz, intel and samsung go with the sale date on the receipt as I believe it should be and it just might take a class action suit to force the manufacturers to change their warranty policies.

bryanl

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2006
Warranty does not start the moment the drive is sold, but the moment it leaves warehouse.
Fry's recently had a sale on Toshiba MK2002TSKB drives like that. 5-year warranties but only a year of coverage remaining since the drives were 4 years old when sold -- new, not refurb. To make matters more pleasant, Toshiba tech support is often handled by a rather angry drunk.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What if car manufacturers did the same thing to customers? Wouldn't that get a slot on 60 minutes in a very short amount of time. We should all sign a petition to the FTC and get them to leverage some pull on these manufacturers to get with the times.

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
I wonder if this is a usual occurrence with some electronics to get out of warrantying their items. I bought a Honeywell mobile PC barcode scanner and had a 1 year warranty on it. It broke down 1 week prior to the 1 year of my purchase date. They originally denied warranty saying it expired on the manufacture date (2 months before my purchase), but I said I didn't buy it then. They then said they'll warranty the problem with no further conversation.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
If you buy something as new, then the warranty should be the date of purchase. For a company to suggest otherwise is completely unethical.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have bought a lot of Seagate drives throughout the years. With the current warranty policy I can no longer support that company. Change the warranty policy and I'll reconsider.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For comparisons, here is WD's warranty terms: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/warrantypolicy.aspx
The term of your limited warranty period shall commence on the purchase date appearing on your purchase receipt from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller and extends only for the period of time set forth in the Product documentation.

Proof of purchase shall be required to be eligible for this warranty and to establish the commencement date of this warranty. To verify the warranty of your Product and update your purchase date (if required), please use our online Warranty Status Check service. In the United States, some states do not allow limitations on how long implied warranties last, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

Please refer to your Product manual for a statement of your limited warranty. A Product manual can be obtained from your authorized distributor or reseller or the WD web site.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Contacted Seagate to confirm new warranty policy. Just received back a response.

So long as your drive was purchased by one of our approved vendors, we will only need a copy of the proof of purchase in order to honor the warranty. Here is a link with our approved vendors: http://wheretobuy.seagate.com/?language=en-us

Now, I know that doesn't help aigo. I think he is in Brazil. I'm not sure what to believe, but that is the answer I got from Seagate. Can anyone confirm the above? Any Seagate reps on AT?

truckerCLOCK

Dec 13, 2011
Yup the warranty goes by the mfg date NOT the date of purchase. Found that out the hard way. Had three 4tb drives fail. Contacted Seagate. They basically told me to go pound sand cause drives were out of warranty.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always figured that's how it worked. Once it leaves their factory they don't really have any easy way to track when it's sold, easier to just set the date at manufacture.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I always figured that's how it worked. Once it leaves their factory they don't really have any easy way to track when it's sold, easier to just set the date at manufacture.

What is wrong with requiring a receipt? That seems sane, and that is the way to track it.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Now, I know that doesn't help aigo. I think he is in Brazil. I'm not sure what to believe, but that is the answer I got from Seagate. Can anyone confirm the above? Any Seagate reps on AT?

nope im located in Los Angeles California.

And i can tell you for a fact, that this is BS.
I told them i got it from Amazon direct, and not a third party seller.
I told them i have the receipt on file.
They said if it failed the warrenty check, your SOL, sorry.

:\

It seems if i brought hell on them and called them many many times, possibly they might have done an RMA, but you know what, its only a 2TB drive, and well, its also the last seagate drive i will ever buy.

I had to RMA a WD last year, with the same issue, but they said if i had a reciept, they would take it, and well, it was amazon again, which they gladly updated the warrenty date and took the RMA.

So my advice... Go WD, or HGST, or if you do go seagate, make sure u check the warrenty on the drive to be sure you got your full 2 / 3 yrs, otherwise your going to cry when that drive fails.