Seagate NAS died... no hope of recovering data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougmeister

Sep 15, 2004
It's not like Hillary's emails or anything... I'd just like to know for sure that there wasn't anything on the drive that I needed.

A bad power supply took my motherboard, CPU, video card, and this Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000 3TB drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16822178392

It left the boot SSD and another SATA drive intact.

Seagate has a data recovery department, but from what I recall, those are not guaranteed and cost at least $500... am I correct?

What parts "go bad" when an 8-month old hard drive gets caught in a power surge from a bad Power Supply?

The drive will not spin up at all.

Feb 25, 2011
I've never seen Data recovery services for less than $1000. If a power surge hit the computer, like a lightning strike or something, there's really no telling how much stuff is toast. You have to test each component individually.

Next time, you'll have your data backed up? :)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Apparently you did not have a Network Attached Storage, i.e., if correctly used, it would not have been subject to your PC's PSU. What happened to you is the reason for a NAS, i.e., storage that is not integral to your PC, but attached to a network that has its own power. Apparently, what you did was simply use a HDD designed for a NAS as an ordinary internal storage device.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Your only reasonable option is to replace the hard drive PCB. It's possible the surge only fried the PCB and not the motor, if that's the case you may be able to salvage the drive by buying identical PCB (you really do need identical PCB down to revision number if there is any). Look on eBay, but don't get your hopes up.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Apparently you did not have a Network Attached Storage, i.e., if correctly used, it would not have been subject to your PC's PSU. What happened to you is the reason for a NAS, i.e., storage that is not integral to your PC, but attached to a network that has its own power. Apparently, what you did was simply use a HDD designed for a NAS as an ordinary internal storage device.

Having a NAS drive in another box makes it no less susceptible to power surges. The primary use of a NAS box is to share resources across a network. If they are in set up in a RAID array then that would contribute to uptime. That's still not back up. Back up is offline storage so when you lose a drive (NAS or otherwise) you have a copy of your data. I learned long ago that you need to have your data in more than one place. Shiz happens and I'm not going to spend $1k+ to recover a drive just because I didn't do proper back ups.

And yes, I believe in back ups! :p

IMG_20160906_164217_zpsyyzrrryr.jpg

IMG_20160906_164244_zpslbvnqidi.jpg

Reactions: Ranulf

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
I was able to recover a drive by replacing the PCB once, but you never know.
For you, buying a new or used HDD is much cheaper than $500, and if it doesn't work, you didn't lose that much money.
And, if you have backups, why would you bother with a recovery company anyway?

MasterHDD

Nov 23, 2017
www.aesonlabs.ca
Test the components on the PCB, find the one that got burnt. Most likely you will be able to see some kind of a burn mark/discoloration, then it should't be a problem replacing the damaged part with a soldering station. The only way when you need to match the production dates, revisions and model numbers is when you have to replace the controller. Otherwise it will probably spin, but will not recognize by your machine.

Back in the day when Maxtor drives were still around, it was as easy as swapping the PCB from a similar drive and voila!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Back in the day when Maxtor drives were still around, it was as easy as swapping the PCB from a similar drive and voila!
Back in the day, people would actually look at the posting date.... a year+ late. :p

First time I've seen a necro bump ;)
Welcome Master HDD, but this thread is over a year old. Locking.
Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.