Solved! Seagate BarraCuda 2TB making some noise in new build, is this normal or sign of a problem?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Not loud, only heard it because was close to my face, wondering if it's just breaking in as it's only been used long enough to install windows and the mobos software; as a mechanical drive I can understand it might make sounds, but have read reviews on the Barracuda where noise issues were part of a problem. I am coming up on the end of my return date or would have to use warranty; do you think it is a problem or normal sounds?

Solution
Is it just a skritch-skritch of back-n-forth, or are there clunks, or louder noises, or something that appears to be a "reset" or "reboot" (often with a spin-down/spin-up)? If it's the former, no worries, if it's the latter, there could be issues.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is it just a skritch-skritch of back-n-forth, or are there clunks, or louder noises, or something that appears to be a "reset" or "reboot" (often with a spin-down/spin-up)? If it's the former, no worries, if it's the latter, there could be issues.

Solution

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Yes, was just skritch-skritch sound; I was doing the build on a cardboard monitor box so that carried the vibration, when I lifted it the sound pretty much stopped. Now that it's up on the shelf and I'm using it I don't hear anything--also ran that utility, is fine.