SD on HDTV question

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
MY GF got a 42" LCD, I think the SD channels look good enough in HD stretch mode, but she doesn't. So she runs it in 4:3 mode, I don't have a lot of LCD experience, the bars on the SD channels are a bright gray and very distracting when I'm watching shows. She has a Westinghouse, why and the hell would they go with such a distracting color? black bars would be much better. I looked thru the setup and didn't see anything, but is there any way I can get rid of the gray and just have black there?

azzameae

Dec 29, 2006
The problem may be that the brightness is all the way up. Are the black levels on other things kind of gray as well? I have the 37" westinghouse and after I made all of my adjustments and lowered the brightness, the sidebars were black for SDTV.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: azzameae
The problem may be that the brightness is all the way up. Are the black levels on other things kind of gray as well? I have the 37" westinghouse and after I made all of my adjustments and lowered the brightness, the sidebars were black for SDTV.

the tv doesn't look overly bright, the picture is pretty mellow, I will try turning the brightness down and see what happens.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
If they are bright gray, it's not contrast/brightness. Most TV's have options for the sidebars (gray or black).

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: QueBert
I think the SD channels look good enough in HD stretch mode, but she doesn't. So she runs it in 4:3 mode...

She's right about it looking like ass when it's stretched.
I finding any kind of stretching horrible.

As for the black, err, gray bars, no idea, but good luck anyway :thumbsup:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: QueBert
I think the SD channels look good enough in HD stretch mode, but she doesn't. So she runs it in 4:3 mode...

She's right about it looking like ass when it's stretched.
I finding any kind of stretching horrible.

As for the black, err, gray bars, no idea, but good luck anyway :thumbsup:

well it has 2 stretch modes, one of them I think it just chops off part of the top and bottom, so the aspect looks normal you just loose a little of the scene.

cpacini

Oct 22, 2005
What type of video source is the TV connected to? If its a cable box or satellite receiver, there is probably a way to change the color of the bars in the box's settings. My cable box has three options, black or two different shades of gray.