SD MP3 Player w/256MB SD card $5 AR

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Thanks. I've been looking for an el-cheapo mp3 player to use while working out, and this one might just fit the bill. :)

The only thing that bothers me is this:
MP3 Bit Rate: 32Kbps

Does that mean that you're only going to get 32Kbps quality out of this thing? I encode my mp3's at 128kbps (I know that's low for an audiophile type of person, but I'm half deaf anyways!), and can't imagine how crummy 32 might sound. :confused:

LurkingInNC

Nov 2, 2001
Bump for an answer to marv's question. Does an MP3 Player Bit Rate of only 32Kbps pretty much rule out that player for seriously listening to music?

Tried to look up the answer, but everything I found related to the recording rate of a file, not a players playback rate. Common sense would seem to indicate that a low playback rate would present the same limitations as a low recording rate, but I'm totally ig'nant w.r.t. MP3 stuff so thought it best to ask again rather than make an assumption.

Btw, pretty sure that one site mentioned that a recording rate of 32Kbps would give sound quality similar to a mono am radio.

BUT it seems that 32Kbps would be ideal for stuff like audiobooks, so this still might be a hot deal for anyone wanting an MP3 player for that purpose...

kctopitz

Aug 25, 2003
For the player to only play at 32kbps would be idiotic and I imagine more expensive to implement. My guess is that the either it plays all mp3 files up to 320kbps and 32kbps is a typo, or that it has an unmentioned mic and can encode voice audio to mp3 at 32kbps.