Scuba diving

marqucha

Sep 9, 2003
Getting my open water certification this may. To all the scuba divers on anandtech which regulators do you use.

thetxstang

Sep 30, 2004
I'm PADI Advanced Open Water certified, and I've always just rented my equipment. Never had any problems with the equipment I've rented.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
there's no one bad reg. as long as it's inspected before you use it, it'll be fine. I use mares, only because I get a super low discount on them.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: thetxstang
I'm PADI Advanced Open Water certified, and I've always just rented my equipment. Never had any problems with the equipment I've rented.

I'm the same ... but haven't dived in over two years now :(

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
As an instructor:

1. Read the book before going to class, and do the tests.
2. Never leave a tank standing upright on the deck unattended.
3. Never EVER hold your breath, always blow the little bubbles.
4. Either a)be an attractive woman, or b)bring one with you for the class.

:)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
As an instructor:

2. Never leave a tank standing upright on the deck unattended.

Aw come on, its a hoot when someone lets a tank fall over and cracks the K valve off...

Seriously I'd say the #1 rule is to never ever panic, almost every time I've seen someone do something stupid or dangerous it was a result of panicking.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
PADI = Put Another Dollar In

I got my Open Water 2 years ago. I don't own a regulator and just rent equipment. Honestly, unless you dive frequently owning the stuff can be costly if you want quality stuff. I usually just rent the best I can when I get somewhere tropical so I don't have to fly with it.

I do recommend buying some good flippers, a snorkel, and a mask.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
PADI = Put Another Dollar In

I got my Open Water 2 years ago. I don't own a regulator and just rent equipment. Honestly, unless you dive frequently owning the stuff can be costly if you want quality stuff. I usually just rent the best I can when I get somewhere tropical so I don't have to fly with it.

I do recommend buying some good flippers, a snorkel, and a mask.

Same. Unless you're diving regularly it's a lot easier to rent most of the equipment.