SCSI/RAID help!

Topochocolate

Dec 4, 2006
I've tried this in the General Hardware forum, and 40+ views and not a single response. So, I guess I'm gonna try my luck here before I box this thing up and sell it on ebay.

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in a better direction than I'm currently in. I recently acquired an IBM x342 server, however it has no RAM nor any HDD's. I honestly do not know much about SCSI drives, or RAID for that matter. Anyway, this is basically my dilemma.

I've been searching around ebay for the last few days, not sure what I need but just looking at the prices for things. Ultimately I want to try and use this box as a networking server for my desktop, laptop, and my emulator box. I just don't know what to do about the HDD situation. There are 3 bays in this thing, should I run an SCSI HDD in each bay, and control them via RAID? I was told doing this requires me to run RAID5, and that will basically eliminate the HDD space of the 3rd drive for redundancy:confused:(?) Should/can I run just a single SCSI drive? Or should I just use an SCSI-to-IDE adapter and use a regular run-of-the-mill HDD?

Much appreciation to anyone that can offer me some good insight on this!

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Topochocolate
I've tried this in the General Hardware forum, and 40+ views and not a single response. So, I guess I'm gonna try my luck here before I box this thing up and sell it on ebay.

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in a better direction than I'm currently in. I recently acquired an IBM x342 server, however it has no RAM nor any HDD's. I honestly do not know much about SCSI drives, or RAID for that matter. Anyway, this is basically my dilemma.

I've been searching around ebay for the last few days, not sure what I need but just looking at the prices for things. Ultimately I want to try and use this box as a networking server for my desktop, laptop, and my emulator box. I just don't know what to do about the HDD situation. There are 3 bays in this thing, should I run an SCSI HDD in each bay, and control them via RAID? I was told doing this requires me to run RAID5, and that will basically eliminate the HDD space of the 3rd drive for redundancy:confused:(?) Should/can I run just a single SCSI drive? Or should I just use an SCSI-to-IDE adapter and use a regular run-of-the-mill HDD?

Much appreciation to anyone that can offer me some good insight on this!

Sorry but wrong forum, this will simply be locked. Cross posting is not appreciated. Also, GH gets much more views that HT, so if you didn't get help there...

Topochocolate

Dec 4, 2006
Well, thanks for all the helpful info. Maybe you can direct me towards a website that would be better equipped to answer my question.