Screwed up, back in a very familiar place

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Damnit, I knew I should never have gone back. I screwed up and actually listened to all the ati fans that claimed they had actually figured out how to make a driver ... sorry no.

I am back to the same place I dreaded being, trying random released drivers until I finally get whatever game I want to play to work. Why the hell did I ever listen.

the details for those that care, complete new build, brand spankin new evga 3sli mobo, i7 930, ati 5850, newest drivers cause dragon age orgins to crash about every hour of play, rolling back now. Windows 7 ultimate

Last edited by a moderator:

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
If you are playing DA:O with the latest patch (1.03), THAT's the reason you are crashing, not the ATi drivers. If you read the Bioware forums you would notice that lots of people have had their game made unplayable for over a month because of it. The solution is to reinstall and only patch to 1.02a.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
11 posts and it's already time for a thread cleanup.
The OP needs help and he is mostly getting ridicule. If the problem is between the keyboard and chair, let him know without the scorn please.

Anandtech Moderator - Keysplayr

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As others have said, try an earlier patch and avoid the latest one. Are you OC'ing anything at the moment?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
lurk3r: I have a HD 5770 with ATI Catalyst 10.5 beta something. I play Dragon Age on patch 1.03 since it's release. I played the game with Catalyst 10.1, 10.2, 10.3a and now 10.5 preview beta (8.73 version).

No troubles at all in ANY games I throw at my modest rig under Win7 Pro.

You should try to reinstall your drivers, cleanest of installs for Catalyst cause they're a little more capricious than let's say, the "other" brand. If that's doesn't help, try reinstalling the game.

Most of the times it resolve any problems.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
The usual, uninstall CCC and see what happens.

haha, gold :D
wheres that link to the other gpu producers drivers.. you know the one where the card goes poof

OP, which OEM../brand (xfx/sapphire etc) is your card? Ive heard so much negatives about XFX cards that i wouldnt consider one no matter if it was nVidia or ATi

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Uninstalled ccc, rolled back to 10.2 (I was running whatever the ati site had as the latest release, didnt check number) It didn't crash again last nite with about 5 more hours of play. I will try rolling back to game version 1.02 as well, thanks for that suggestion.

The card is the xfx 5850 from newegg's recent $289 sale, my power supply is an antec tru power 650W.

My last card was a palit 1Gb 8800GT, havent tried it with dragonage yet, but it ran flawlessly on the driver release that allegedly cooks that card.

Oh and there is no OC on anything yet, just a fresh build.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Well, if it didn't crash last night after 5 hours I'd just leave it alone, it seems you may have already found the fix.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Uninstalled ccc, rolled back to 10.2 (I was running whatever the ati site had as the latest release, didnt check number) It didn't crash again last nite with about 5 more hours of play. I will try rolling back to game version 1.02 as well, thanks for that suggestion.

The card is the xfx 5850 from newegg's recent $289 sale, my power supply is an antec tru power 650W.

My last card was a palit 1Gb 8800GT, havent tried it with dragonage yet, but it ran flawlessly on the driver release that allegedly cooks that card.

Oh and there is no OC on anything yet, just a fresh build.

Glad it's working. 1.03 is buggy as hell. Unless you are also playing Awakening, I would stick to 1.02a. 1.03 doesn't crash for me (it does for lots of people) but pickpocketing is also broken.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Glad you got it fixed. That'd be a PITA, pick up a new gfx card and find ya can't play your favorite game without it crashing. Sounds like a DA:O issue though unfortuantely.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Glad to see you were able to get DA:O to run with less or no crashing. It's a shame it isn't easier to figure out what causes individual games to bug out. For me it's occasional BF:BC2 crashes running a GT 220. I'm not even sure if it's a problem regarding graphics drivers or maybe something in the game physics code. When it crashes it leaves two or three BC2 processes running independently until I manually kill them.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
haha, gold :D
wheres that link to the other gpu producers drivers.. you know the one where the card goes poof

OP, which OEM../brand (xfx/sapphire etc) is your card? Ive heard so much negatives about XFX cards that i wouldnt consider one no matter if it was nVidia or ATi

I had a hell of a time with my 4850 until I uninstalled CCC. Now I tell everybody to try it and see what happens. It seems to work for a few people. Funny thing is the OP uninstalled it and didnt crash after. I am sure it could be 10.3 drivers. But I would be interested in him reinstalling CCC and seeing what happens.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
I had a hell of a time with my 4850 until I uninstalled CCC. Now I tell everybody to try it and see what happens. It seems to work for a few people. Funny thing is the OP uninstalled it and didnt crash after. I am sure it could be 10.3 drivers. But I would be interested in him reinstalling CCC and seeing what happens.

Maybe this weekend I'll try, its been a VERY consistent solution to just remove the CCC (like the title says, I'm in a familiar place, reinstalling drivers, rolling back etc, this is not my first time on the shit ATI driver rodeo)

I almost dread trying another game ... I had heard only good things until after I purchased the card and ran into the infamous 'some guy' in microcenter, who has to run at least 3 different versions of drivers on his mythical i7 980 XXXtacy

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Dragon Age crashed all the time for me with NVidia drivers (197.25, 195.62, etc.), so I don't think this is really ATI's fault. Dragon Age, while an awesome game, as an extremely shitty engine. Why is it that the good games have crap engines and the crap games have sweet engines?

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
I play Dragon Age 1.03 on my 5870 with 10.3 WHQL and have never had a crash.

Guess I'm lucky?

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I haven't either but I know a lot of people who had no problems w/ 1.02a DO have problems with 1.03. Most common seems to be if you play a mage-heavy party and cast spells like Mana Clash. Regardless of whether it crashes, I don't use 1.03 as pickpocketing doesn't work.