Screen Resolution resetting

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by boozie, Apr 8, 2012.

1. boozie

boozie Senior member

My parents old desktop Compaq PC is having issues with screen resolution. It's not even 100% of the time, but very common upon reboot or resuming from sleep that the resolution extremely wrong. It's not reverting to 600x800 but some crazy vertical stretch.

I tried reinstalling the video drivers, but that didn't do anything. One thing I find very odd is I can always fix it by going to the screen resolution and just telling the PC to detect the monitor.

Relevant specs:
    Monitor is Compaq FS7600
    GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Screen Resolution resetting Forum Date
    Monitor displays black screen at native resolution Computer Help Mar 13, 2011
    HTPC and screen resolution issue Computer Help Feb 14, 2011
    Can't Set Monitor to native resolution (and fill the screen) Computer Help Aug 24, 2009
    Changed resolution - blank screen (tried all conventional fixes) Computer Help Jul 18, 2009
    Screen resolution / Novell client profile Computer Help Dec 6, 2007

3. Bubbaleone

Bubbaleone Golden Member

I'd suggest updating to ATI's legacy Vista driver which works well with Windows 7, and supports the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series.

Go to this page: AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver

Look at "Option 1 - Full Software Suite" and select "Catalyst Software Suite" which includes the "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc.exe" Catalyst Control Center and WDM driver.

Or look at "Option 2 - Individual Downloads" and select the "WDM Integrated Driver" which includes the "10-2_legacy_vista32-64_wdm.exe" WDM driver only.

#2 Bubbaleone, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012