Question Screen not updating after certain changes!

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I noticed lately that my screen does not update after changing certain things, such as deleting a file, adding a file, or renaming a file. For example if I add a file to a directory using a copy/paste method, the file won't show up until I click on the refresh button. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I did a virus scan with MS Defender for my whole system and no viruses were present. I also having been installing two registry hacks that I downloaded, one to not add the word "shortcut" for shortcuts I create on the desktop and another for changing the time in Windows to UTC time instead of local time. Could these hacks that I installed have anything to do with this weirdness?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The reg hacks are usually just txt files renamed with reg at the end to tell them where to put the contents. Not typically an issue.

As to the refreshing of things when you make changes that's something else. I know on W11 things don't refresh on their own sometimes and it's likely due to indexing for me being turned off.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
This issue is also happening on my secondary PC in Windows 10. I deleted a file but it still showed up in the windows explorer until I refreshed the screen. I also have this issue with the recycle bin.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Here's some links to checkout :

Also, make sure you do a chkdsk /f as that fixed one guy's PC for this complaint.

A possibility too is some kind of windows KB update that's causing your issue as it seems to now be common to multiple machines.

Also, if the problematic machines are all using the same network then that should be a pointer (see the link above about drive map on a network).

Good Luck