SCOTUS Ruling: States Seeking Voter Citizenship Proof Denied by U.S. Supreme Court

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Funny how those studies can fail to locate half of all same day registrations and yet still conclude that no voter fraud occurred. It's almost as though the result was pre-ordained . . .

Funny how you claim fact w/o evidence. It's a standard propaganda ploy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Funny how those studies can fail to locate half of all same day registrations and yet still conclude that no voter fraud occurred. It's almost as though the result was pre-ordained . . .

You are aware that voter registration is not the same as voting, right? Or are you actually trying to compare voter registration fraud with voter fraud?

Science is hard!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
June marks the end of the term. October begins a new year for the SCOTUS, so all opinions are being announced.
Yay! Summer vaca for the SCOTUS! Just like being back in school. Pretty good work if you can get it. Work until you decide to throw in the towel regardless of how senile or sick you are. Decide some heavy shit that nobody can call you out on or hold you accountable in any way for and get three contiguous months off every year along with all the other week long holidays the .gov crowd gets.

This bunch needs term limits.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
liberal groups that support illegals fund studies that say illegals don't vote.

Illegals also aren't supposed to drive, or work, or murder, or rape, or be here, etc etc, and yet they do all of those things. Yet liberals like you are supposed to think the rest of us are so stupid as to believe they wont vote.

Is it painful being that stupid? Because it must be.

Republicans make up claims about voter fraud because they aren't smart enough to understand why people aren't voting for them.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yay! Summer vaca for the SCOTUS! Just like being back in school. Pretty good work if you can get it. Work until you decide to throw in the towel regardless of how senile or sick you are. Decide some heavy shit that nobody can call you out on or hold you accountable in any way for and get three contiguous months off every year along with all the other week long holidays the .gov crowd gets.

Ahahhaaa!!! You sure love America until you hate it!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You guys and your science conspiracies. :D

Conspiracy = "research that tells me something I don't want to hear".

It's the perfect way to close your mind. Research reinforces what I want to think? Good evidence! Research tells me what I don't want to think? Conspiracy!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You are aware that voter registration is not the same as voting, right? Or are you actually trying to compare voter registration fraud with voter fraud?

Science is hard!
Dude, even for you that's a new level of stupid. Same-day registration is when people register to vote AND vote, on election day. Registration packets are then mailed out later to get documentation that these people are in fact eligible and unique voters. It's no secret that a large percentage of those packets are returned undeliverable, no such person/no such address. They still voted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Dude, even for you that's a new level of stupid. Same-day registration is when people register to vote AND vote, on election day. Registration packets are then mailed out later to get documentation that these people are in fact eligible and unique voters. It's no secret that a large percentage of those packets are returned undeliverable, no such person/no such address. They still voted.

And in most states with SDR if it comes back undeliverable the case is forwarded to law enforcement for investigation of voter fraud. (there are only 11 states currently doing SDR anyway)

As the research shows, basically all of them come back as... not voter fraud. It's odd that you keep fighting so strongly against the outcome you claim to prefer.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
And in most states with SDR if it comes back undeliverable the case is forwarded to law enforcement for investigation of voter fraud. (there are only 11 states currently doing SDR anyway)

As the research shows, basically all of them come back as... not voter fraud. It's odd that you keep fighting so strongly against the outcome you claim to prefer.
Link?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

important question: did the vote count?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Conspiracy = "research that tells me something I don't want to hear".

It's the perfect way to close your mind. Research reinforces what I want to think? Good evidence! Research tells me what I don't want to think? Conspiracy!

Interesting point. When you have two studies that appear to use valid methodologies, each coming to opposite conclusions, which do you believe?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Here's an example of some of it. I looked into it quickly and it looks like about half refer undeliverable registrations to law enforcement. Others require photo-id for same day registration, etc, etc.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/same-day-registration.aspx#fraud

As we've covered before, law enforcement has devoted extensive resources to uncovering and prosecuting voter fraud. They have found near-zero evidence of in person voter fraud.

People against voter ID are trying to increase electoral participation, make government smaller, and save money. All these are ostensibly things you heartily support, right?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
important question: did the vote count?

Of course not. I used to work at the polls, if someone came in and we could not verify their identity they cast a "provisional ballot". Right next to the fancy electronic voting booth we had a stack of paper ballots and a sealable pouch. All the provisional ballots went into the pouch, and if the election was close enough for those votes to matter (it never was) the ballots would be counted if the individual voters were deemed eligible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Interesting point. When you have two studies that appear to use valid methodologies, each coming to opposite conclusions, which do you believe?

If you have multiple reputable studies that are reaching different conclusions and the balance of the evidence is roughly equal then the appropriate conclusion to come to is that we don't know and more research is needed.

In the case of voter ID however, that is not the case. The empirical evidence strongly indicates it isn't an issue. Frankly from simply a logical perspective it should be easy to see why. Individual costs for casting fraudulent in person ballots are high (time spent, risk of being caught) and the gain is low (a single extra vote). Econ 101.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you have multiple reputable studies that are reaching different conclusions and the balance of the evidence is roughly equal then the appropriate conclusion to come to is that we don't know and more research is needed.

In the case of voter ID however, that is not the case. The empirical evidence strongly indicates it isn't an issue. Frankly from simply a logical perspective it should be easy to see why. Individual costs for casting fraudulent in person ballots are high (time spent, risk of being caught) and the gain is low (a single extra vote). Econ 101.

Meanwhile more votes are lost in handling ballots after voting and Republicans have put forth how much effort in reforming this?????

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Something I don't understand: Every time I've voted I've been asked for my license. Is that not the case elsewhere?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Something I don't understand: Every time I've voted I've been asked for my license. Is that not the case elsewhere?

It's not the case in a lot of places. Back when I still voted I don't think I ever showed my license. Just depends on where you live. It also may have been the case that you weren't required to show yours but they were doing it as a quick and easy way to look up your name.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

psst.. a majority on the court are your beloved Repubs

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

And when that happens, their provisional ballots are discarded. Their "votes" don't count as votes at all, but you already knew that.

If it's no secret, then you can obviously document your assertion, right?

First you said "half". Challenged to support that, you merely back away ever so slightly while maintaining your propaganda construct as if it were true, as if it has real meaning. It does not.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
It's not the case in a lot of places. Back when I still voted I don't think I ever showed my license. Just depends on where you live. It also may have been the case that you weren't required to show yours but they were doing it as a quick and easy way to look up your name.

So how do they authenticate without an ID?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
So how do they authenticate without an ID?

When you register to vote, you sign your name. When you go to vote on election day they have a copy of your signature in a book next to your name. You sign right next to where the copy of your signature is and they are visually compared.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
When you register to vote, you sign your name. When you go to vote on election day they have a copy of your signature in a book next to your name. You sign right next to where the copy of your signature is and they are visually compared.

Yeh, and it only worked well like forever, up until coy & deceptive "Voter Fraud!" attempts at disenfranchisement.

Repub leaders know exactly what they're doing with this & what kind of fear to feed to the flock to get them to go along with it. It's what they do, how they survive even in the face of enormous policy failure. They ruthlessly exploit people at an emotional level.

Feb 4, 2009
Voter ID is a distraction. I'm fine with requiring ID provided it ends the discussion. We all know gerrymandering, low voter turnout and PAC's are the things we should be concerned about. I mean everyone.