Scientists say the more religious a person is, the more likely they are brain-damaged

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Shameless is exploiting a group of people for votes that have a poverty rate of 25%, and not throwing them any bones...

Make up your mind, either you can attack Democrats as doing too MUCH for blacks, making them dependant leeches for government support for their votes, or they do nothing for them, nut not both.

Democrats are far better for blacks than Republicans. While Republicans have made a few PR efforts following their wrongheaded ideology to try to say they do something, Democrats are the party that has consistently been the party of opportunity, fighting more for their equal rights, and for addressing wrongs, in part from historical effects of generations of racism.

But of course, you, the party who whines about liberals telling people what's best for them, know what's better for blacks than blacks do.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Make up your mind, either you can attack Democrats as doing too MUCH for blacks, making them dependant leeches for government support for their votes, or they do nothing for them, nut not both.

Democrats are far better for blacks than Republicans. While Republicans have made a few PR efforts following their wrongheaded ideology to try to say they do something, Democrats are the party that has consistently been the party of opportunity, fighting more for their equal rights, and for addressing wrongs, in part from historical effects of generations of racism.

But of course, you, the party who whines about liberals telling people what's best for them, know what's better for blacks than blacks do.

I don't allow myself to take an objective view of minorities like you do.....

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, better to have a dishonest person with their finger on the button.

:\

Like Reagan, with his Iran-Contra scandal. Or "No New Taxes" Bush Sr? Or "I did not have sex, with that woman" Clinton? Or "Aluminum tubes" Bush?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Like Reagan, with his Iran-Contra scandal. Or "No New Taxes" Bush Sr? Or "I did not have sex, with that woman" Clinton? Or "Aluminum tubes" Bush?

Or 'I will fight to legalize marijuana' Carter, or 'I did not approve the illegal use of US-given weapons for Indochina to invade East Timor' Ford, or too obvious to say Nixon, or 'I'm just protecting US citizens by invading the Dominican Republic' Johnson, to 'the US is not involved in the Bay of Pigs' Kennedy, to 'the US is not flying spy planes over the USSR' Eisenhower, to 'I will not run for VP' Truman, or 'I will not send American boys to fight in the European war' Roosevelt, need I go on?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And how would you know animals aren't spiritual?

How many animals bury their dead or erect altars to their ancestors/gods? :rolleyes:

Spirituality is one of the things that defines humanity and separates us from other animals. It stems from the fact that humans are capable of not only interpreting our own thoughts, but also the thoughts of others. We can sense not only our own intent but the intent of those around us. Animals can't do this, not even chimps.

Basically, the OP took a single study out of context and used it to push an agenda. Nothing new here, just P&N as usual.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
He only shows up for political purposes. Evidently, brain-damaged individuals tend to vote more often for other brain-damaged individuals. It's a retarded vicious circle.

Nice spin. Please point us to any evidence pointing towards Obama's atheist views.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, better to have a dishonest person with their finger on the button.

:\

I'm not wild about either the dishonest person or the delusional person. But when we're talking about having someone's finger on the trigger, frankly, I'll take the dishonest one over the delusional one. Besides, a person who tells one lie may or may not tell another. But being delusional is a total world view. As such, it is far more dangerous.

- wolf

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm not wild about either the dishonest person or the delusional person. But when we're talking about having someone's finger on the trigger, honestly, I'll take the dishonest one over the delusional one. Besides, a person who tells one lie may or may not tell another. But being delusional is a total world view. As such, it is far more dangerous.

- wolf

I'm pretty Manichean about lying, but really, there's a big difference between liars that's not. Why they lie, about what they lie, is a very important question.

'They lied about this, so you can't trust them on anything' is one of the cheapest lawyer rhetorical efforts, IMO no offense.

I think Eisenhower was reckless in his nuclear policies and should not have lied about spy flights, but the fact he did hardly proves he was ready to launch nuclear war for being a liar.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Interesting that liberals/Democrats believe it's better to lie and decieve about religious beliefs for personal/political gain than actually hold such beliefs sincerely. Not big on honesty or sincerety I see.

Personally Im repulsed by people who (falsely) claim religion for some personal (and usually) dishonest advantage. They're no more than con artists. Just a Jim Baker, or some other TV preacher asking for money, but on a slicker level.

I've got more respect for the nut who is sincere. I've got more tolerance for different beliefs than dishonesty.

Fern
This. All this. The idea that the person in highest power believes in nothing above himself is personally as frightening as anything I can recall but I could at least appreciate that person's honesty. As opposed to Bill Clinton carrying a huge Bible for the press on his way to break a vow made before G-d.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
How many animals bury their dead or erect altars to their ancestors/gods? :rolleyes:

Basically, the OP took a single study out of context and used it to push an agenda. Nothing new here, just P&N as usual.

this...Deal Monkey just being an obnoxious jerk. /end thread

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Rejoice.

Congress Pete Stark is an avowed atheist and was re-elected in the 2008 election.

There are others, such as councilmen (one in NC)

Fern

Let me know when this country elects an admitted atheist or agnostic. Actually, don't bother. I'm pretty sure I'll be long gone before that happens.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
People come to believe in religion without the use of reasoning or logic. The people in society who do things without those tend to be what most would consider stupid. Brain damaged, stupid, whatever you want to call it.

Shouldn't surprise anyone.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I once had a full grown (believer) woman try to convince me that theres dragons living in the core of our planet. I'm positive if she gets an MRI, there would be some complications with her brain.

What she was ACTUALLY saying was that she wanted you to insert your mighty sword to slay the dragons in her core.

Bet she was a hottie, too.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's hardly misleading, you just don't like the implication.

Heh, no. The implications are that people who have a particular form of brain damage have shifts in how they view spirituality than they did before.

You fail at logic because you imply (and please don't deny it because I'm not the only one who's caught you) that religion is based on brain damage.

"All yellow autos are cars, therefore all cars are yellow autos."

You'd be laughed out of any formal debate with that.

What the study states are that certain brain areas are associated with a sense of "me" and damage to that area lessens one's personal sense of identity. That causes the person to be less self oriented and increases the sense of spirituality.

The true implication is that the degree of spirituality a person experiences may involve this area of the brain.

It's not even a good troll.

Last edited:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
People come to believe in religion without the use of reasoning or logic. The people in society who do things without those tend to be what most would consider stupid. Brain damaged, stupid, whatever you want to call it.

Shouldn't surprise anyone.

These types of statements get old. Obviously you do not understand what reasoning actually is. You might say that people come by certain beliefs by improper reasoning. All beliefs are the result of reasoning. The fact that you don't understand this makes it fairly apparent that your reasoning in this area is faulty.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
These types of statements get old. Obviously you do not understand what reasoning actually is. You might say that people come by certain beliefs by improper reasoning. All beliefs are the result of reasoning. The fact that you don't understand this makes it fairly apparent that your reasoning in this area is faulty.

No, they are not. Some beliefs are the result of reasoning, faulty IMO, but reasoning nonetheless. The Child Raised as Religion X does not Reason their Belief though, they simply accept it, because they are being told it is Truth.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
No, they are not. Some beliefs are the result of reasoning, faulty IMO, but reasoning nonetheless. The Child Raised as Religion X does not Reason their Belief though, they simply accept it, because they are being told it is Truth.

"Thinking through" ones belief and reasoning are completely different. Reasoning such as your example is unconscious reasoning. The reasoning behind such as your example would be faulty of course. They don't believe it b/c they are told it is the truth, they believe it based upon their concept of the individual/institution feeding them the information.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guaraguao
I once had a full grown (believer) woman try to convince me that theres dragons living in the core of our planet. I'm positive if she gets an MRI, there would be some complications with her brain.

What she was ACTUALLY saying was that she wanted you to insert your mighty sword to slay the dragons in her core.

Bet she was a hottie, too.

I believe you're right. I think she's the one who sought me out as a princely knight with tails of how such dragons stole her honor. Unsheathing Excalibur from twixt two mighty stones it was no time at all before I had her honor back.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Thinking through" ones belief and reasoning are completely different. Reasoning such as your example is unconscious reasoning. The reasoning behind such as your example would be faulty of course. They don't believe it b/c they are told it is the truth, they believe it based upon their concept of the individual/institution feeding them the information.

Fair enough, but essentially it is because they are told it is the Truth. They simply accept it from what they determine to be a Reliable Source.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

Spirituality is one of the things that defines humanity and separates us from other animals. It stems from the fact that humans are capable of not only interpreting our own thoughts, but also the thoughts of others. We can sense not only our own intent but the intent of those around us. Animals can't do this, not even chimps.

That isn't spirtuality, that is called theory of mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind. One is scientific, the other is supernatural hogwash.