Scientist warns against technology addiction

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2...orthampton_university/

How many hours do you spend online or plugged into a games console? Well, a scientist at Northampton University believes you could be suffering from technology addiction and has launched an online survey to explore this ticking timebomb.

The survey aims to discover how the use of multiple forms of technology affects our daily lives. Professor Nada Kakabadse, who has already written a book on so-called techno-addiction, told New Scientist that the explosion of information technologies over the last 20 years has happened without much scrutiny of the effects on people.

Participants are asked 74 questions, covering a wide variety of technology. For example, participants are questioned over their weekly use of the Internet, their thoughts on touch-typing being taught in schools and even whether they?ve ever had an online affair. Kakabadse said that ?we don't want to be in a situation in a few years similar to that with fast food or tobacco today?. Instead, she welcomes thoughtful strategies based on technology use, such as a designated email-free day in the office.

Whilst posting a survey about technology addition online may be a slight oxymoron, or the only feasible way to reach a wide audience, Kakabadse has already listed several symptoms of techno-addition. These include: checking messages during social downtime, having more friends online than off and cutting short meals to manage your email.

However, reading online reports about the possible health implications of technology addition doesn?t count?

Here's the survey: Survey
IMHO if you take the time to fill it out you don't need to ask if you're addicted........

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2...orthampton_university/

How many hours do you spend online or plugged into a games console? Well, a scientist at Northampton University believes you could be suffering from technology addiction and has launched an online survey to explore this ticking timebomb.

The survey aims to discover how the use of multiple forms of technology affects our daily lives. Professor Nada Kakabadse, who has already written a book on so-called techno-addiction, told New Scientist that the explosion of information technologies over the last 20 years has happened without much scrutiny of the effects on people.

Participants are asked 74 questions, covering a wide variety of technology. For example, participants are questioned over their weekly use of the Internet, their thoughts on touch-typing being taught in schools and even whether they?ve ever had an online affair. Kakabadse said that ?we don't want to be in a situation in a few years similar to that with fast food or tobacco today?. Instead, she welcomes thoughtful strategies based on technology use, such as a designated email-free day in the office.

Whilst posting a survey about technology addition online may be a slight oxymoron, or the only feasible way to reach a wide audience, Kakabadse has already listed several symptoms of techno-addition. These include: checking messages during social downtime, having more friends online than off and cutting short meals to manage your email.

However, reading online reports about the possible health implications of technology addition doesn?t count?

Here's the survey: Survey
IMHO if you take the time to fill it out you don't need to ask if you're addicted........

..comes from the same bozo's that use computer models and alarmist propaganda to establish the carbon-con.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I started taking the survey till i realized how long it was.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Next up: People driving everywhere, Signs of a widespread car addiction?

Seriously though, New Scientist isn't even a peer reviewed journal. A little while back, new Scientist published an article about what is essentially a free energy electromagnetic drive machine that violates conservation of momentum through bs double talk hypotheses.
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/cat...ave_new_scientist.html

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Originally posted by: n7
I started taking the survey till i realized how long it was.

Same here...

Hence, "if you take the time to fill it out you don't need to ask if you're addicted........ "

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I'm personally addicted to the wheel and axle. Rotational inertia with forward momentum. What more could you possibly want out of life?

I think each generation encounters stuff like this - new things seem like a threat. Could you be suffering from technology addiction from your new vacuum-tube radio? How about because of fiberglass insulation and fire-resistant materials in your house? Or maybe because of your new electric light? Because of books printed on paper? Because of candles? Because of pointy rocks tied to sticks? Just about everything we use was new technology at some point in time.

Originally posted by: IGBT

..comes from the same bozo's that use computer models and alarmist propaganda to establish the carbon-con.
Smile and nod. Just smile and nod........

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well not all scientists are equal.
some do stupid studies because they can't hack it at anything worthwhile.

Kirby64

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2006
I have to laugh when it asks for gender, and 'Transgender' is an option. After I noticed the 70+ questions I decided to be lazy and not do it :p

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
It's true, I admit it. I'm addicted to making my life more efficient and maintaining a stable job.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
This is like in, say, when the sword was invented. New technology! I guess those people who used the sword when it was first discovered and maimed and slaughtered all competitors, must have been addicted to technology as well. Damnit, these idiots don;t understand, everything is technology, it just so happens that computers are a very large leap in technology.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
It's true, I admit it. I'm addicted to making my life more efficient and maintaining a stable job.
:)

Electronic computers - my god, what a hell of an increase in efficiency they brought. If I recall my reading correctly, some engineers used to hold the job title of "Computer." They'd sit at a desk most of the day using a slide rule to do lengthy calculations. Now a computer can do that job many thousands of times faster, which also allowed for increased uses of curved geometry in component or structure design. Curves are a pain in the ass to deal with, and the calculations aren't always spot-on accurate.
It's the same sort of huge productivity boost that came from increases in automation. Instead of having hundreds of guys standing in a line doing some menial task, a machine can do that much work at a considerably faster rate.

People are addicted to "things." The culture in the United States seems to be, "Whoever dies with the most stuff wins!" So you run out to Walmart/Kmart/Target to buy as much of the cheapest junk as you can - if you have 3 of something that just barely works, it's better than the person who has just one of that thing, but which works really well. More stuff = win, apparently. I buy quality when I can afford it.