School me on pork

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 15, 2003
Totally unnecessary. Brisket cooks faster than pork shoulder. I've cooked lot of briskets and pork butt. You can cook 12-14 lb brisket in 4 hours in the oven at 300 F.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/hot-fast-brisket

Replace the smoker with oven in the above link. Smoker is basically outdoor oven.

If you want electric roaster, great. But your oven is a workhorse. Learn how to use it. You can pretty much cook anything using the stove and oven.

You know, with brisket everytime I try to speed up the process i've regretted it (oven under 6 hours, instantpot, etc). 10ish hours seems to be where the magic happens for us. Just doesn't get to that melt in your mouth place for me. I def. use the oven quite a bit, the electric roaster had multiple benefits (we have a small kitchen that heats up quickly, needed a crockpot anyways plus don't currently have large roast suitable bakeware - 40 something bucks for something up to 18 qts seemed cheap). I'm going to try broil searing too, cast iron's difficult with these larger cuts. Wife uses the oven quite a bit for baking, we give it love :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I live in NC bbq country...which we have a mix of sweet and vinegar-based bbq sauces. You can sauce it how you want. We have both pulled pork, but a world famous bbq place nearby sells sliced pork. They cook their roasts and then thin slice it... If you place an order for a sammich, they take the precooked, room temp or chilled pork and put it on a griddle to heat up under a lid (to keep steam/juices in). Sliced pork in a sandwich can have a little more bite to it.

Boston Butt(shoulder) is typically what you want to smoke for BBQ, but picnic roasts are sometimes cheaper or more readily available. My wife's uncle does a lot more half-loin roasts...leaner white meat and less fat. He'll sometimes mix that in with a boston butt. This is the kind of guy that owns a $3-5k bbq trailer he bought years ago. He catered all his daughters' weddings and numerous family parties...is active in his church doing bbq, but it's not a business to him.

For Boston Butts, they're really hard to mess up if you get a meat thermometer and take them out when they're the right internal temp. (180-190 degrees depending on fat) Once the fat inside melts and breaks down, you're good. Best results for a bbq party come when you cook the roasts to completion an hour or two before the event....then wrap in foil and store in the bottom of a cooler with towels on top to contain the heat and take up air space. That keeps the pork hot/warm and letting the meat rest that long, before pulling, allows juices to do their thing. It CAN result in top notch bbq. I think we did a party 5-6 years ago where my dad was supposed to be following my instructions on cooking...he got the fire going about 5 times too hot. The roasts were done 4 hours earlier than I thought possible by internal temp. I had him store them and they turned out fine.

I like pork ribs. You can get those and cook them on a gas grill for 3 hours. Sauce them every 30 minutes to keep them wet...or do a dry rub. Get some match light charcoal and make a foil cup to hold the charcoal.....and let that smoke permiate the ribs as they cook in the beginning. You'll end up with charcoal flavor, but the slow-cooked ribs without the effort of maintaining the fire. Pork fat is best when slow-cooked and melted away. If you cook it too fast or under direct heat, you can end up with a fire burning off the fat or burn the outer layers and undercooking the inside.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trying cooking marinaded pork chops in the broiler. Can be glazy crispy yet juicy awesomeness if you do it right.

I just trimmed up a 9lb pork shoulder this morning. Gave it a loving rub then threw it on a bed of onions in a slow cooker. It's coming out soon actually. Pork for days yo.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

You don't have to use tenderloin, any thinly sliced pork is good. Skewer them perpendicularly and grill over charcoal.

Reactions: WelshBloke

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

You don't have to use tenderloin, any thinly sliced pork is good. Skewer them perpendicularly and grill over charcoal.
That sounds good!