School me on my S3

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
So I got an S3 for Christmas. Just want to say it's awesome... and big... but awesome!

And really big.

Anyone have any good tips? Essential apps? Other neat stuff I should know? I'm a little bit familiar with Android, have mucked around in programming for it a little bit, but that's about all. I've got my contacts sync'd up and have begun customizing the interface a little.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
dl jelly bean keyboard as the stock Samsung one has horrible spell check

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Pure Calendar Agenda widget
Pocket
Tapatalk (for this forum, hehe)
Google Voice and Drive -- set up Voice as your VM
Cerberus

And if you have enabled power saving, go into the settings and make sure the thing about adjusting background colors to save power is *off*. This is the "turn everything horribly blue" setting.

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
I go an S3 the day before Christmas. One thing that was holding me back was the size. So far I have not found it to be an issue. I spent an hour taking to my Mom on Christmas and it was fine. In fact it was better than the old dumb phone that it replaced.

It's my first Android phone. Having come from the Apple universe (iTouch & iPad) I'm not crazy about the menu structure. I find it easier to find things on the Apple products.

I do like the message light and the pretty screen.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Oh yeah, if you're a heavy user, the first accessory you should buy is this for whichever carrier version you have (oops, this *may* work for all carrier versions, not sure though).

The ability to charge a battery to full outside the phone and swap it in instantly is pretty amazing when you're using it like crazy. No more worries about finding an outlet...

Oh yeah, don't forget the 50% off code for accessories at samsung.com

Last edited:

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
You may or may not enjoy some battery savings by using Juice Defender (I liked it a lot on my SIIX but have since not bothered with the Note)

- Tapatalk is not bad
- Netflix
- TeamViewer
- Titanium Backup
- Tower Defense

that's all I can think of for now

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to check out Jelly Bean keyboard asap, because the built-in spellcheck absolutely does suck, was driving me nuts.

Got Google Drive set up. Thanks for the reminder about Tapatalk... although I'm still so bad at the touch keyboard I'm not sure I could stand to post using it.

The spare bat charging system looks pretty interesting.

Also, one site recommended getting a capacitive stylus. Anyone use one of those?

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
The Samsung JB keyboard isn't bad for swyping, which is a better mode of entry anyway... try learning it (on this, AOSP, or Swype).

IMO the Touchwiz JB launcher isn't bad either.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Samsung Keyboard for Swype, Thumb Keyboard if you want reconfigurability/customization, SwiftKey for predictive typing.

I also use Nova Launcher w/ Prime license for App Drawer folders.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Are you one to use a case? I got the ballistics case from the ATT store and really like it. It comes with a belt clip too if you want to try that due to the size. I still keep it in my pocket though and its fine.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Are you one to use a case? I got the ballistics case from the ATT store and really like it. It comes with a belt clip too if you want to try that due to the size. I still keep it in my pocket though and its fine.

Hmm, sometimes. I used cases more religiously back in the early 90's before I had kids texting me. Once I needed regular access to the keyboard I slowly stopped using them. I did get a case with this one. It's pretty nicely made but it doesn't have a belt loop and makes texting somewhat more awkward. I'm still really struggling with the touch keyboard so I don't need any extra impediments.

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
I'm rather partial to the program Llama. It basically is like an automation program on some steroids. You can program a number of things to take place depending on various conditions, like time of day or even whether or not you're in a specific area. It does this using cell tower/mast IDs, which is not as accurate, but it's very battery friendly since your phone is pinging these towers anyway. Llama is just making use of data your phone is collecting as part of its normal operation.

For example, I have mine set up to switch on bluetooth when I am not at home or work, reasoning that I'm most likely in my car. And then when I get to work, I have it mute my ringer, and keep the notifications volume to a reasonable level. However, when I'm home, I turn the ringer back on and the volume up, etc. Takes a little time and effort to learn to program it, but it's worth it IMO, and it's free.

If you don't mind rooting your phone, you can then install something like the LeanKernel, which is a custom kernel where the developer stripped out all the junk not really needed on a cell phone, and did a little modest undervolting of the CPU, which I find gives quite a bit better battery life. If you root the phone, then something like ROM Toolbox or Titanium Backup can be invaluable for getting rid of a lot of the excess junk installed on the phone. Titanium Backup lets you "freeze" programs, which is basically preventing them from running, to see if any ill effects result before you uninstall the program. Rooting also opens up the possibility of custom ROMs which already strip out a lot of that stuff for you. The one thing to note, is that Samsung apparently has some kind of counter buried deep in the low level guts of the phone that keeps track of how many times you flash custom software on it. The odds of the average employee at a cellular carrier store knowing how to check that are probably minimal, but be aware that it's there.

Also, Sedio has a nice holster for the S3. It's designed to be used with a "naked" phone. It has a spring loaded lock, and then a belt clip. I tried using an Otterbox case and holster with the S3, but it just made it too awkward to handle for me, and the gap in the plastic cover for the home button just meant dust would be able to get under the plastic over the rest of the screen.

Last edited:

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Great information, Scott. Thanks a lot. I probably will root it at some point in the near future, but I want to wait until I have learned a bit more about it. I'm working through getting it working for development on Windows 7 using Eclipse.

That holster sounds perfect. The big problems with the case I have now are: no belt loop/clip, and no easy way to release the device from the grip of the soft plastic cradle built into it (you literally have to pry it out with a thumbnail).

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
Here's a link to the holster: http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-spring-clip-holster-p/hlssgs3as.htm Reminds me of the great holster I had for my OG Droid. I had an Otterbox case for the GNex I had before, and the release tab broke off. Incidentally, the holster I linked will fit a GNex for anyone like me, who was frustrated by the lack of any such holsters.

And I fully understand not wanting to root it just yet. Might also want to make sure there aren't any defects with your specific handset and you don't need to exchange it. You'd just have to go and undo all that before you took it in, so may as well wait until you're sure that is the specific handset you're going to keep. However, with the S3 you have two options with ROMs. There are TouchWiz based ROMs which are more or less identical to factory, maybe just with some minor alterations here and there, and then there are AOSP ROMs which are a more "pure" Android experience. So you could always take baby steps and use a ROM like Jelly "Beans" (my personal favorite at the moment) or CleanROM.

You can, however, use Llama now if you like. There are a couple of functions that need root, but the bulk of it will work just fine without. Just export your settings to the SD card before you make any big changes, and then you can import them back in quick and easy.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
One thing I don't have figured out yet is the notifications and tones. For example, incoming sms... I set up a sound for "default notifications" in the sound settings, but when I get a text the phone vibrates. I have the volume turned up, so I am not sure why it is choosing to vibrate when getting a text.

So I still have some questions about basic functions:

- How do I set a tone for incoming sms?
- If I reduce the volume to the off/vibrate setting using the thumb switch, will that apply to all notifications until I raise it again?
- How do I set all calls to go to voice mail temporarily?
- When you pull the notification bar down there is a horizontal carousel of settings buttons. Are these shortcuts to just turn these features on and off?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
- How do I set a tone for incoming sms?
- If I reduce the volume to the off/vibrate setting using the thumb switch, will that apply to all notifications until I raise it again?
- How do I set all calls to go to voice mail temporarily?
- When you pull the notification bar down there is a horizontal carousel of settings buttons. Are these shortcuts to just turn these features on and off?
*1 check/adjust in settings *in the messaging app*
*2 yes... assuming ringer/notification volumes are linked (which it should be on JB )
*3 not sure if TW has this, if it did it would be in the dialer/phone app settings
*4 yes

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
*1 check/adjust in settings *in the messaging app*
*2 yes... assuming ringer/notification volumes are linked (which it should be on JB )
*3 not sure if TW has this, if it did it would be in the dialer/phone app settings
*4 yes

Ah perfect, thanks. I was looking all over for those messaging settings. I'm thinking of trying Handcent for messaging anyway, but in the meantime it's nice to know how to configure the stock one.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I rooted, installed CWM, flashed recovery, and installed CM10 with a custom kernel... that, plus the extended battery I have lets me get 2 full days in with regular use.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I rooted, installed CWM, flashed recovery, and installed CM10 with a custom kernel... that, plus the extended battery I have lets me get 2 full days in with regular use.

Is it one of those massive extended batteries that require a new backplate?

Nov 19, 2011
Loving my s3 it's an amazing phones the essential apps I have are:

1. kii keyboard https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zl.inputmethod.latin
I use this keyboard cause the new jb one lags like no tomorrow (bug?).

2. tv guide https://play.google.com/store/apps/...lkLnR2Z3VpZGUucHJlc2VudGF0aW9uLmFjdGl2aXR5Il0.
Find out what is playing on what channels.

3. speed test https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DEsIm9yZy56d2Fub28uYW5kcm9pZC5zcGVlZHRlc3QiXQ..
So nice to know what your latency/throughput are.

4. amazon appstore http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/and...ef=mas_mbl_ldg
Free app every day why thanks!

5. MOG (music streaming) https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb2cuYW5kcm9pZCJd
I am not a big fan of the app but the service is by far the best when it comes to catalog/quality (320kbps on everything)

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Yes but worth it if you ask me
Any chance you could post some pics of the SGS3's thickness with the extended battery and backplate?

I notice every time I've searched for it, they show the battery and new backplate off of the phone but are very careful not to show how it actually looks assembled, making me suspect it may be too bulky for my tastes.

Also, does it support NFC?

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Any chance you could post some pics of the SGS3's thickness with the extended battery and backplate?

I notice every time I've searched for it, they show the battery and new backplate off of the phone but are very careful not to show how it actually looks assembled, making me suspect it may be too bulky for my tastes.

Also, does it support NFC?

My battery was a cheap $10 eBay that had great reviews... and they were right because it works. It does not support NFC, but that's the batteries problem... there are a LOT of extended batteries out there that support NFC.

As for thickness, imagine 50% of how thick the phone was before, and then adding it on.....

With my work Exchange mail, Nagios alerts, two personal gmail accounts, texting, Bluetooth, and Google Music streaming it doesn't take long at all for me to go through the standard battery in a day... now it's literally impossible for me that too.

Last edited: