School me on motherboards using old RAM standards.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I've got a 5 and a half year old rig that has served me well, but is showing signs that it might be giving up the ghost. Considered I paid $147 for the CPU/Motherboard and RAM way back then, I'm pleased with how well it's lasted.

It is, and don't laugh...

AMD-A6 3670 CPU with onboard Radeon HD6530 graphics

Biostar A75MG socket FM1 motherboard with Hudson D3 chipset

8GB 240 pin DDR3 1600

Running Win7/64 on an ever older, much much older 7200rpm mechanical hard drive.

Given my usage and lack of fast paced gaming I honestly don't need anything better or faster. I just want to build something newer before this one croaks and leaves me stranded. And given the prices of RAM and video cards, I'd like to reuse my existing RAM and use a CPU or MB with built-in graphics. I'll add a new SSD for as a boot drive, keep my big storage drive. So what's out there in motherboards that will support a CPU as good as, or better than, an old AMD-A6 3670 CPU with Radeon HD6530 and still accept 240 pin DD3 RAM?

I've seen a few FM2/FM2+ AMD boards taking some CPUS in the A4/A6 series. Anything else in the same ballpark that I should be looking at? Intel have anything comparable or any newer CPU sockets that can run with DDR3?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've got a 5 and a half year old rig that has served me well, but is showing signs that it might be giving up the ghost. Considered I paid $147 for the CPU/Motherboard and RAM way back then, I'm pleased with how well it's lasted.

It is, and don't laugh...

AMD-A6 3670 CPU with onboard Radeon HD6530 graphics

Biostar A75MG socket FM1 motherboard with Hudson D3 chipset

8GB 240 pin DDR3 1600

Running Win7/64 on an ever older, much much older 7200rpm mechanical hard drive.

Given my usage and lack of fast paced gaming I honestly don't need anything better or faster. I just want to build something newer before this one croaks and leaves me stranded. And given the prices of RAM and video cards, I'd like to reuse my existing RAM and use a CPU or MB with built-in graphics. I'll add a new SSD for as a boot drive, keep my big storage drive. So what's out there in motherboards that will support a CPU as good as, or better than, an old AMD-A6 3670 CPU with Radeon HD6530 and still accept 240 pin DD3 RAM?

I've seen a few FM2/FM2+ AMD boards taking some CPUS in the A4/A6 series. Anything else in the same ballpark that I should be looking at? Intel have anything comparable or any newer CPU sockets that can run with DDR3?
At this point in time why bother with FM2/FM2+ boards and DDR3 Ram? Get a AM4 board, 2x4GB(8GB) of memory, and an Ryzen 2200G APU. Something like this, but I would change a few thing first before ordering:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2F4D3b
This should last you five or more years.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Yeah, plus the limited SATA ports on motherboard... Never mind.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

There is your issue. You'll get more milage out of an SSD upgrade, then replacing the entire system for non-gaming usage.

K10.5 is still plenty capable for basic tasks, but you might want to consider a graphics card upgrade for improved video acceleration. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a simple GT1030 w/ DDR4 is plenty.

Reactions: whm1974