School me on DDR4

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Picking good DDR4 is just like DDR3 - find something with a good balance between price, speed and latencies. The kit you linked seems good.

Standard JEDEC speed for DDR4 is 2133MT/S C15 at 1,2V. Given that your kit boosts that to 3200MT/S while only stepping up one cycle in CAS latency, that seems excellent. It operates at a higher voltage (1,35V), which means ever so slightly more heat and power use, but next to a CPU or GPU it's negligible at the worst of times. The heatsinks on the linked set are overkill (as are all RAM heatsinks), but unless they interfere with your CPU cooler, what does it matter? You won't find DDR4 clocked that high running at lower power, and it's still as low as DDR3L. Seems like a good choice.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just make sure whatever motherboard you pick out supports that size of modules at that speed.

You can do that by looking at the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendor list) under the support section, or go to the RAM manufacturer's website, and use their 'memory finder' tool.

http://gskill.com/en/configurator

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Just make sure whatever motherboard you pick out supports that size of modules at that speed.

You can do that by looking at the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendor list) under the support section, or go to the RAM manufacturer's website, and use their 'memory finder' tool.

http://gskill.com/en/configurator
True, although up to a point. QVL lists mean that manufacturers have tested them together and "guarantee" compatibility. Non-QVL-listed RAM might still work, but you can't be 100% sure until you've tried it. I run non-QVL RAM in my HTPC (DDR3-2133), with zero issues. But YMMV. Sticking with something off the QVL list should be safe, at least.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I've personally grown to not like factory overvolted/overclocked modules.
They will almost certainly use the same chips as their 1.2v modules.
The only benefit is that they guarantee the speed you're buying.
I'm sure many will feel differently, but i'd rather get the fastest 1.2v kit than one where they bump up the voltage.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I've personally grown to not like factory overvolted/overclocked modules.
They will almost certainly use the same chips as their 1.2v modules.
The only benefit is that they guarantee the speed you're buying.
I'm sure many will feel differently, but i'd rather get the fastest 1.2v kit than one where they bump up the voltage.
You have a point, but on the other hand memory overclocking is a massive hassle. Far too many variables to screw up for me to bother, at least. Also, buying generic "value RAM" that clocks to 3200 C16? If you find that, you're very, very lucky. You might reach 3200MT/s, but what's the point if latencies skyrocket?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
You have a point, but on the other hand memory overclocking is a massive hassle. Far too many variables to screw up for me to bother, at least. Also, buying generic "value RAM" that clocks to 3200 C16? If you find that, you're very, very lucky. You might reach 3200MT/s, but what's the point if latencies skyrocket?

Just running my fingers to chatter. But there was another recent thread by someone who wanted to OC a DDR4-3400 kit. I purchased a 2x8GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 14-14-14 set and was perfectly satisfied.

The problem with OC'ing XMP RAM derives from a fact stated to me a year ago by G.SKILL tech-support. XMP profile also uses more aggressive secondary timings. The secondary timings are optimized for the XMP profile. Beyond the four basic timings and command-rate, there is maybe one other secondary timing which can be reduced to some effect (forgot the shorthand). If you can buy the RAM at the speed-spec you might want, why push the envelope with all these troubles?

It's asking for more trouble and wasted time.