School me on asian fish sauce

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
So I'm the unicorn Asian kid. Well, I'm proud to be one. Much rather have plain white rice and let the taste of the tender stir-fried cornstarch-coated meat(the cornstarch provides insulation to preserve tenderness) or braised pork belly(hong shao rou) make the flavor mix with the boring white rice in the mouth than ruin the dinner with salty soy sauce.
I wouldn't say that, maybe you grew up with the benefit of good food and didn't need to taste soy sauce just to eat steamed rice. I'm more commenting that 2nd gen. Asian American kids grow up on western food, and don't like the dishes of their parents home countries.

Oyster sauce is easily my favorite, but I don't want condiments to mask the flavor of cooked entrees.

I've never tried an instant pho that resembled anything like real pho; but flavoring it up with both fish sauce and soy sauce just sounds wrong.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wouldn't say that, maybe you grew up with the benefit of good food and didn't need to taste soy sauce just to eat steamed rice. I'm more commenting that 2nd gen. Asian American kids grow up on western food, and don't like the dishes of their parents home countries.

Oyster sauce is easily my favorite, but I don't want condiments to mask the flavor of cooked entrees.

I've never tried an instant pho that resembled anything like real pho; but flavoring it up with both fish sauce and soy sauce just sounds wrong.
You are correct, it didn't taste like real pho at all, which is why the fish sauce worked well.

Have a couple good pho joints near me so I know the flavor.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Soy sauce is a fundamental ingredient, along with oyster sauce and beef broth in brown sauce. I always had it on my list to play around with cooking to make a brown sauce.

I'm wanting to cook Chinese dishes gluten free since my wife can't chance most things. Soy = wheat.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Soy sauce is a fundamental ingredient, along with oyster sauce and beef broth in brown sauce. I always had it on my list to play around with cooking to make a brown sauce.

I'm wanting to cook Chinese dishes gluten free since my wife can't chance most things. Soy = wheat.

Soy is soy, wheat is wheat.

Reactions: manly

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

You can get soy sauce without wheat. Real soy sauce made traditional way doesn't contain wheat. Majority of store soy sauce contains wheat because they cheat and use shortcuts.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Soy is soy, wheat is wheat.
Right, but most soy sauce has wheat in it as part of the fermentation process. Tamari is Japanese and doesn't have wheat. Kikkoman makes a GF soy sauce, but neither of those are used in common Chinese restaurants, so my wife doesn't risk it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Right, but most soy sauce has wheat in it as part of the fermentation process. Tamari is Japanese and doesn't have wheat. Kikkoman makes a GF soy sauce, but neither of those are used in common Chinese restaurants, so my wife doesn't risk it.

Got it.