School me on air fryers

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The wife is talking about getting one. Anyone have any recommendations on what to get/look for?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
It's not April First

How can you guys be joking about something so horrendously stupid?

Members here should have basic intelligence, for anybody else: CONVECTION.

Invented in the early 1900s, and still manufactured to this day.

Buying an "air fryer" is just as stupid as trading your car for $30k shoes with Hotwheels taped on.

If you're of low enough intelligence, here's some links to make sure you understand:

Selected from Amazon's "Top Rated" by picking the ones with both convection and ceramic elements.

Reactions: Greenman and KeithP

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Ha, looks like my hate for air fryers is justified:

"When it comes to air frying, our top pick toaster oven, the Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven TOB-260N1, produced better results than any of the air fryers we’ve tested since 2017, and it also has more accessories. The Cuisinart produced crispier, more evenly cooked food, and it easily accommodates much more than a typical pod-shaped air fryer does—including up to nine slices of toast, a 6-pound chicken, a 9-inch cake, or a 13-inch pizza."

Reactions: KeithP
Mar 15, 2003
Cuisinart makes an airfryer that looks like a convection oven but with a mesh basket built in. Mom liked hers so much she gifted out 3. Our new oven has one built in, as the smug guy who took your questions too seriously said, air fryers are basically convection ovens BUT the mesh basket is important. So convection oven + after market mesh would work. Also, I used to have a halogen circular cooker that weren't called air fryers then but I recall it being aweosme for nuggets, fries, etc. Secura is the brand I had, no idea why I remember that.

Reactions: zinfamous

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have an Actifry, best home made fries you can make without a deepfrier. I cut the potatoes, throw in some coconut oil chunks (I let them melt first) then throw in the fries and do it for 30 minutes. 10x better than using oven. No matter what I've just never gotten fries done well in the oven, they are usually mushy. The actifry will get them pretty close to chip stand quality. Don't bother with frozen fries those won't really come out any better than the oven, it's better fresh.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
get one.

.....or I dunno, listen to the retard^ up there? He actually makes some decent, if unwarranted rage-filled points, lol?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
get one.

.....or I dunno, listen to the retard^ up there? He actually makes some decent, if unwarranted rage-filled points, lol?

AIR FRYER!

115.gif

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Cuisinart makes an airfryer that looks like a convection oven but with a mesh basket built in. Mom liked hers so much she gifted out 3. Our new oven has one built in, as the smug guy who took your questions too seriously said, air fryers are basically convection ovens BUT the mesh basket is important. So convection oven + after market mesh would work. Also, I used to have a halogen circular cooker that weren't called air fryers then but I recall it being aweosme for nuggets, fries, etc. Secura is the brand I had, no idea why I remember that.

No, I'm saying air fryers are VASTLY inferior to convection ovens.

If you're going to have an appliance on your counter, why something beyond worthless.

If you want to get things hot with air on your counter, get a decent convection toaster oven.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
A toaster oven can't really replace an airfryer. The idea of the airfryer/actifry (they are basically same thing right?) is that it somehow infuses the oil into the food. You put a small amount of oil in it and the paddle and heater work together to basically simulate deep frying without actually dunking it in oil. At least that's my theory, I just know they work well for what they do. They are a rather specific appliance though, they don't replace a toaster oven and a toaster oven does not replace it.

The Ninja looks interesting though... that one looks like it basically can do air fry and regular toaster oven functionality. Just needs a JEDEC reflow curve function and it would truly be an all in one. :p

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
A toaster oven can't really replace an airfryer. The idea of the airfryer/actifry (they are basically same thing right?) is that it somehow infuses the oil into the food. You put a small amount of oil in it and the paddle and heater work together to basically simulate deep frying without actually dunking it in oil. At least that's my theory, I just know they work well for what they do. They are a rather specific appliance though, they don't replace a toaster oven and a toaster oven does not replace it.

Lol an airfryer is a forced convection toaster oven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritzo

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Clever marketing on their part to call it an "air fryer oven", really.
Seems to work though- lots of YouTube home reviews and everyone's said they love it so far. Makes crispy wings, fries, pizza, toast, bagels, you name it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Seems to work though- lots of YouTube home reviews and everyone's said they love it so far. Makes crispy wings, fries, pizza, toast, bagels, you name it.
Yeah, I don't doubt that it's a good appliance, just wondering how long until other convection toaster ovens are relabeled as air fryer ovens :D

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, I don't doubt that it's a good appliance, just wondering how long until other convection toaster ovens are relabeled as air fryer ovens :D

It has already happened.

I ordered one (not the one I linked) just to refresh my toaster oven. It's like 15 year old and the springs on the door broke.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i bought a convection oven from an informercial

and it worked so well that i bought another for backup

and then the first one broke and i realized i can't live without it, so i bought a spare on ebay

and then another one because toastmaster apparently stopped making them

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i bought a convection oven from an informercial

and it worked so well that i bought another for backup

and then the first one broke and i realized i can't live without it, so i bought a spare on ebay

and then another one because toastmaster apparently stopped making them
Wait, so how many do you have at the moment?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski