Sceptre X37SV-Naga or Westinghouse LVM-37w3

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Both have similar specs except the Westinghouse has more inputs but also lacks an ATSC/NTSC tuner. Do any of you own either and/or both of these displays and have an opinion about which may be better? The sceptre is a lot easier to locate (Costco) while the Westinghouse is practically a phantom (reminds me of the X800XT PE). If the Sceptre is about equivalent PQ wise then I'll go with it even though it has less inputs but if the Westinghouse absolutely owns it in every way then I'll continue my search for the elusive Westy at a B&M.

Thanks.

Webgod

Jan 16, 2000
I heard the Westinghouse, at least the 42" model that is, was having a lock-up problem. I'd suggest looking at the Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays section of AVSForum.com. They have an absolute wealth of knowledge and first-hand reviews for home theater stuff.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Yep been reading avsforum the last few days. I ended up ordering the Westinghouse which doesn't have the lockup problem the 42" does. Can't wait till it gets here, should be bad ass for games and movies! Now I got a reason to buy a PS3 this Christmas.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
I've been using the 37 inch westy for about 8 months now as a computer display/tv and am thoroughly satisfied. I have it set up so I can surf the internet from a recliner about 5 feet away or watch tv from my bed or my couch. There's no ghosting problems in games, the inputs are nice. I use both dvi and the vga inputs (2 comps, upconverting dvd recorder/tuner).

I was looking at both of these when I bought this one, and the only reason I got this over the sceptre was because it was an open-box item at best buy for 1400 and I didn't feel like getting one of these shipped or getting a costco membership.

The only problem I have with mine is black levels. I've played around with the adjustments a lot and I still can't get the right combo of darkness/brightness. Black is more like dark grey. It's not a problem with lights on in the room but in a completely dark room at night you can tell. As far as I know, though, this is common to lcd's (though my samsung lcd's did have this problem, it wasn't as pronounced.)

Too bad about the 42 inch though. I saw that at BB a few months back and that thing is beautiful.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Dman, is yours the W1 revision? I don't think the W3 was available 8 months ago so that's why I'm wondering. The W3 has a higher contrast ratio (even though both say 1000:1) and lower response time vs. the original W1 panel from what I read. Anyway for anyone else deciding, the reason I didn't go with the Sceptre is because a huge amount of people were having problems with it on avsforums--problems like image "juddering" requiring them to drop the refresh rate to 53hz, spdif being hidden inside the case (wtf), firmware problems, poor color saturation in games and a bunch of other stuff so basically the Westinghouse seemed a lot more solid.