scanning a bunch of family photos: scanner recommendation?

ZippyDan

Platinum Member
Sep 28, 2001
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum. I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the digital camera forum since this is about photos but I will try here first and if I don't get a response...

I have 1,000s of old family photos. I don't want to spend tons of cash sending them to someone else to get scanned. Nor do I want to spend tons of time scanning them myself on a flatbed scanner.

So I'm looking for a compromise in between...

I'm looking for the following:

1. A scanner with a feeder so I can just stick a photo in and it gets scanned. I do have old photos that are probably best scanned on a flatbed for reasons of delicateness and preservation, but I just have too many to worry about that too much. I definitely need a feeder that only goes one way, and not a feeder that makes a u-turn.

2. Reasonably fast scanning. Again I have possibly 10s of thousands of photos.

3. Reasonably good quality scanning. I understand that likely nothing will beat a flatbed, but I don't necessarily need 4k scans of these photos either. On the other hand, even with a scanner that is reasonably fast and allows me to feed the photos one at a time, I am sure that this will still be a large investment in time. I don't want to find that the image quality is lacking and I have to do the whole project over again anyway later down the road.

4. Software that will work with the scanner to automatically rotate and automatically crop these photos. They are of varying sizes (since some are much older, they are not all standard 3x5s). Again, if I have to go through each photo one by one and worrying about them being 1 or 2 degrees off the horizontal, or cropping them all one by one, this will take forever.

5. All of this reasonably priced. Hopefully under $1000.

Any one know of any equipment that would do this?

P.S. For many of these photos I also possess the original negatives. But again it is a matter of volume, time, and money. Are there are machines that would allow me to scan negatives at higher speeds while not sacrificing too much quality?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3247692
a few options other than flat bed scanning
cheapest being using a smartphone photoscan app (some pretty snazzy auto straightening/aligning on some of these scanner apps)
or camera set to manual white balance and a tripod, then batch editing with something like adobe lightroom.
2nd cheapest is generally to send it to a place that will scan 1000 pictures for ~$300
3rd option is a scanner like the fujitsu scansnap ~$400

i tried scanning some pictures with a U bending ADF (brother 7360N) and it didn't work :S (wouldn't feed properly, gets jammed). Surprisingly it didn't damage the picture that much...
Did ~100 pictures via flatbed. Still have hundreds of pictures left to scan that I don't feel like getting around to doing :p.

Last edited: