Tempestwolf

Apr 27, 2017
I have a Motorola sbg6580 on time warner. The wireless is extremely fast it goes upwards of 60 mb sec. But the wireless is very unstable and disconnects alot. When I use a cabled connection it never disconnects and stays stable but when I connect with a cable it goes half or less speed usaualy around 19mb sec Is there a configuration in the router/modem causing this speed issue on the cabled ports on my modem?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
How are you doing these speed tests? If it's over the Internet then there are FAR too many variables. It's best to use more than one test and consider only the common maximums. Yes, maximums. I often use speedtest.net, dslreports.com/speedtest, fast.com, and download win10 ISO from MS.

You can also try using a different, shorter cable or port.

Tempestwolf

Apr 27, 2017
I used speed test wireless vs ethernet and the speeds over the wireless were over double the speed of ethernet I tried a few of my laptops and the speeds we're basically identical with all tests. I'm just baffled how the speeds could be less plugged in vs WiFi. Heck i even tried it on my ps4 and Xbox one as well. Same results. Is there a setting in this modem/ router that can fix this. Since the connection is stable over ethernet I'd like to just do that and add my spare router. I honestly don't have money to toss around buying another modem right now

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I don't like combo (CM+WiFi router) devices at all. I'd disable WiFi in that modem and enable bridged mode, then use a good Wireless-AC router to share the connection.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
You sure all your computers and wired connections are Gigabit (1,000m) capable? Some might limit you to 100mbps.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
What color is the status light on the ethernet port?

310EWdu.png

Tempestwolf

Apr 27, 2017
What color is the status light on the ethernet port?

310EWdu.png
Green and exactly half or a lil less than WiFi. Untill the WiFi drops off then sticks at 2 mb sec the ethernet stays at a cool 20 mb. When the WiFi works it's like 40 mb maybe more depending on net traffic etc. Yes Ichi they all are :)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
With both issues it seems pretty evident that there is something wrong with the modem. If you are renting it from TW, contact TW and have them replace it. If you own it outright and it's still under warranty, contact Motorola for replacement. If it's no longer under warranty, replace it with two separate quality units (modem and wireless router).

Tempestwolf

Apr 27, 2017
I think i fixed the WiFi it was set at 20 mhz I set it to 40 and the speeds remained stable for the past 3 days only 1 disconnect. I tried using 20 and it dropped down to a crawl and had connection issuesm What is sweet because dealing with time Warner is a pain in the arse

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think i fixed the WiFi it was set at 20 mhz I set it to 40 and the speeds remained stable for the past 3 days only 1 disconnect. I tried using 20 and it dropped down to a crawl and had connection issuesm What is sweet because dealing with time Warner is a pain in the arse
40MHz wide channels makes it more difficult to avoid interference. When 40MHz is used in USA, only channels 1 and 11 do not overlap.

Tempestwolf

Apr 27, 2017
I dunno then I switched it to that and it seems fast going over 65 mb sec.. Soon as I go to 20 it slows down to 2 mb sec. Maybe something is causing it to slow down in my living room. I'd have to move the wire and put the modem elsewhere. I don't know. I'm looking into buying a modem anyways

Obijuan

May 9, 2017
I'd agree, this modem is not your best bet. The modem/router combo may be convenient but historically they are problematic. Run down: get a separate modem router you'll be happier. Check out a new Docsis 3.1. If your provider is not compatible then check thebestmodems.com out.

With both issues it seems pretty evident that there is something wrong with the modem. If you are renting it from TW, contact TW and have them replace it. If you own it outright and it's still under warranty, contact Motorola for replacement. If it's no longer under warranty, replace it with two separate quality units (modem and wireless router).