Saw My First Professional Soccer Game. Anybody Else like Soccer?

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Last night they had an exhibition game between the Dallas Burn and the Chicago Fire here. The stands were really close to the field so it was a great view. I was in awe at the power and agressiveness these guys demonstrated. I am used to my kid's soccer games and my jaw dropped when I saw the moves and speed that the pros have. Plus, one of the Chicago fire is from the area so it was nice seeing somebody who made it to the "big time."
All in all it was really fun and I wish we had a professional team in this area. Seeing it in person is nothing like on t.v. because you only get a taste for what they can accomplish out there on the little screen. Many of them were pretty small too. I expected stronger looking players but only a few were big.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
I love soccer, even though I'm not really into it. I don't really know the subtleties of the rules and such, but I'd like to learn to play properly. I'm going to try to get my friend to teach me this summer. :p

But soccer games are always entertaining. Those guys are great athletes.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Soccer or ('football' internationally) is the most popular sport in the world. Those damn Koreans are GENIUSES when it comes to soccer.

steveeast112

Banned
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: bleeb
Soccer or ('football' internationally) is the most popular sport in the world. Those damn Koreans are GENIUSES when it comes to soccer.

Yea they really were awesome this past year and a surprise to get as far as they did. I still go for my favorite team though... *puts flamesuit on* France.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: steveeast112
I like international soccer more, its just really professional and has some amazing stuff.

You know, I agree with you on that. But, I was lucky enough to see an American team let alone a foreign team in this crappy state. :p

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i've played soccer since i was 5. fun sport, im not too good at it. my HS coach/team destroyed it for me this year, i was miserable. if next year is the same, i'll quit

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Soccer > * but of course that's just IMO. :D

There are some very good European (Man U, Bayern Munich etc) teams coming to the states to play some exhibitions matches.. should watch these guys play. MLS is nothing compared to European leagues. Now this is a fact! ;)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Better than baseball, but that's not saying much
Yeah those 2 are pretty close on my scale of entertainment value.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
one of the fox sports channels, world i think, plays lots of international soccer. i love watching it.

vladik007

May 18, 2003
Wow , people in US like soccer ? Too bad i havent met one yet :)

I know most of you won't know what i'm going to be talking about but i was one of the VERY lucky young guys who was able to experience THE BIG time soccer. in 1995 we played (with our team , Slovan Bratislava (Slovak rep. team) ) in tournament that was in split in France and Spain. We had just finished getting our A$$e$ kicked by Barcelona (1-4) and Real Madrid coach offered friendly game to our coach and opputrunity of life time , handing balls during game Barcelona - Real Madrid. IF any of you know what it's like , you know that most of us (back then 14-15 yr olds) were in total awe. 105 000 screaming , singing fans right behind you. That day WE beat Real madrid 3-2 on their field. (friendly , not tournament)

Tournament finished with total fiasco , as we actually won over Paris SG and very next day were winning over FC Nantes 1-0 'till 92nd minute where paid off official HAD to make sure that at least one French team advanced to the final 16 in Paris, called penalty shot against us even though our player was like good 2 meters away from falling player. Our coached was thrown out of the tournament , as he was throwing just about anything at the referee. ( when i say ANYTHING , i mean wallet , keys , apple that we had for lunch , orange , his shoes etc ...) I know most people are agasint beating up ref but if you had seen the game , you'd throw that azzhole to gas chamber. he robbed 14 yer old BOYs, now that i look back , pretty pathetic. Barcelona and FC Nantes advanced from our group ( out of 6 teams , i think 2 French , 1 British ,1 from Scotland ,Barcelona and us )but we made a huge name for our team and next year , year younger guys than us were invited to same tournament and actually made it to final 16 in Paris.

I think they finished like 8th or 9th from hundred something teams all over the Europe. Of course Barcelona won it all , and Ajax Amsterdam was 2nd , if i remeber correctly. IT was insane how good those guys actually were.

Then at 17 i had my knee f'up and never made it back. At that age if you have 6 month injury and you cant work out , you're pretty much done. OF course girls , drinking were distraction and i just didnt have a will to come back to 7 days a week training.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Man that's cool vladik007! :beer: Are you saying that you were in the youth team of Slovan Bratislava?

Who was the Real Madrid coach when you played?

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
Anyone see the Man U Arsenal match today. Man U was flat until the last 10 mins and then managed to score. Arsenal
played well until the end but let their (up till then) solid defense slip. Ah well Arsenl are still undefeated for the season.

~bulls

vladik007

May 18, 2003
Oh i dont know who was the coach of RM. I dont think it was anybody famous , after all , he caoached 14 yr old guys.

And yes , i played for Slovan Bratislava since i was 8 or 9. At the age of 10 i got transfered from my school to Sport school where i'd go to class with all my teammates.

Then i spent there best 5 years of my life :)

Best kick out of all this ? At age of 8 when i went to try-outs for Slovan's team , all i really wanted was to skip the school for one day.( try-outs were during the day ).

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I love it, especialy live.

Fondest soccer related memories:
1) Bulgaria at world cup 94 - Beating the germans with that incredible diving head shot. Pepole all over Sofia went crazy after that. Came really close to making it to the final too...but no close enough.
2) Bulgaria - Germany for Eurocup qualifier. I skipped an exam to see this one live. BG was down 2-0 at the end of the first half, then made a miraculous comeback. Great game

I also saw bulgaria vs belgium this past summer, it was a very good match. BG dominated, but unfortunately only managed a tie.

Can't wait til this summer's Eurocup

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I liked working an 8 to 5 job and staying up to watch both the 2am and 4am World Cup games a year ago. After a few days of that, I was so tired at work - but everyone else was cause' they were watching the US too! I think the referees hurt the US in the US v Germany game. We had the ball 70% of the time and the referees did not call a handball on the Germans when the defender blocked a US goal with his hands and they took away a goal. We should've beat Germany.

vladik007

May 18, 2003
Well hopefully this year my "brothers" (Czech rep.) can show what they're made of. Since i now live with Czech girlfriend ( errr fiance sounds soooo depresing ) and will be Czech citizen in few years , i consider them my team as much as Slovak team. Czech's havent lost 18 or 19 games in a row , having played Holland twice , France in France , Italy in Italy , i think they're ( i mean WE ARE ) pretty much favorites this year. Hopefully ref's wont rob us blind like they did in Euro 2000 in game with Holland and we wont hit the post 3 times in 1st half.

Oct 9, 1999
I love soccer.. and its called football world wide..

only here in america we call it soccer because we stupid americans called running around with a pigskin in your hands as football.. football = foot + ball..